What a great system!

Posted by: yoyo52

What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:17 PM

Every now and then I remember what a marvel this OS X really is. I have ten apps open at this moment, one of them, Folding@Home, a real memory hog, running in the background all the time, and I never ever have even the slightest hiccough with my old 400 MHz G4. You just gotta love it <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: MachOne

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:22 PM

Let's see now...browser, email, um...that's two, F@H makes 3, and um....?<br><br>Ten apps! Good lord man. What do you have installed on that machine? I'm an inveterate app collector and I'd be lucky to run more than half a dozen at one time.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:24 PM

Indeed. This is one of the things I try to tell people about the Mac platform (I'm on a mission to convert every PC user I actually like) that isn't really understood. They look at the price tag and see a couple hundred bucks more and don't realize that it isn't just the hardware that is the difference. In fact, I try to tell them that the real reason to switch is the operating system and how it works with the Apple hardware. A difficult thing for people who've never used a mac to understand.<br><br>I've almost got BOTH my sister and my parents, but negotiations will probably continue until the end of the year...<br><br>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:25 PM

I could list them, but you go ahead and guess.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:29 PM

The bare minimum:<br><br>1. Browser<br>2. Mail<br>3. iCal<br>4. iTunes<br>5. Textedit or Word (gotta do SOME work)<br><br>does this fit most bare minimums?? (messenger? Photoshop?)<br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:31 PM

Word<br>WeatherPop (or similar)<br>iTunes<br>Quicktime<br>iPhoto<br>Moz (or similar)<br>Email app<br>F@H<br>iCal<br>Limewire<br><br>OK, not really Limewire. <br><br>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:35 PM

Gee, I wasn't even counting WeatherPop!<br><br>Here's what I have running:<br><br>Entourage<br>IE<br>Acrobat<br>Sherlock<br>QT<br>F@H<br>LaunchBar<br>AppleWorks<br>TextEdit<br>Word<br>GraphicConverter<br><br>There's also WeatherPop, MenuCalendar, CeePeeYou, WindowShadeX, ASM, and other assorted haxies, but I'm not counting them.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:36 PM

I was 'instructed' by MacGizmo that Weatherpop is not a real application, it is a menubar app (which is why it doesn't show up in the dock). So, does the bare min only pertain to Dock applications? Otherwise throw in there:<br><br>6. PTH Clock<br>7. System preferences?<br><br>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:38 PM

Why three different word processors???<br><br>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:38 PM

I don't think System Preferences counts. If it does, then you have to include the Finder too!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:42 PM

TextEdit opens whenever I look at a ReadMe file--and what's the point of quitting it? Word I have open because I was putzing on a document for work--and everyone at work has MS Office as the "desk top standard," so I'm obliged to use it. AW is open cause I was also putzing with a paper that I'm writing (on A Midsummer Night's Dream) and I'd rather use AW for my own work because it's far more stable and much much much less intrusive than Word. I've just gotten into the habit in X of closing windows, but not quitting apps. That way, once I've opened them once, I have instant access to the app.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 09:51 PM

Fair enough! <br><br>Perhaps you should include iTunes too, though. A little background music gets my thoughts a rollin' (maybe not always toward work though. Like say, right now!! )<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 10:14 PM

i have the following running (in my dock):<br>entourage<br>ichat<br>IE (not sure why)<br>mozilla<br>dreamweaver<br>word<br>photoshop<br>system prefs<br>folding @home<br>terminal<br>iCal<br>textedit (not sure why)<br>preview<br>cpu monitor<br>virtual pc (window xp) (i'll probably close this first -- i just wanted to test something for a few seconds)<br>final cut pro (i'll probably close this as i won't be using it until this weekend)<br>iTunes<br>finder (heh, it has the little arrow under it so it counts) <br><br>i love it. love, love, love it. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 10:32 PM

Photoshop<br>InDesign<br>Illustrator<br>GoLive<br>LiveMotion<br>Acrobat<br>Netscape<br>Mail<br>Transmit<br>PhotoToWeb<br>iCal<br>iTunes<br>MS Word<br>iChat<br>StuffIt Deluxe<br>Quicktime Pro<br>iMovie<br>TextEdit<br><br>MS Word isn't normally open, neither is iMovie and Quicktime... but the rest pretty much never close.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:15 PM

OOOOoohhhh KKKKK<br><br>Why would you want tooo - run those programs at the same time?? I mean when I through, I quit the program. Seems pointless to have them running in the background.<br><br>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:24 PM

It doesn't take up any memory keeping them open, so why quit them only to have to relaunch them again. Aint OSX great!!! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:42 PM

I don't have OSX dog breath.<br>Besides even in OSX why keep them open except for being "lazy" to close them??<br><br>Come on -- When your done (Quit) the program. Is It that much harder to launch the program again??<br><br> Jousting<br><br>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:45 PM

I know you don't have OSX... maybe if you got a real job you could afford it! <br><br>Why quit it when I don't have to? I just have to launch it again, so why waste the 20 seconds. It's easier to leave everything open and just switch between them whenever I want to<br><br>... hammer head!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:48 PM

it takes 20 seconds?<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:50 PM

to launch all those apps... yeah!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:51 PM

sorry, i thought 1 app. <br><br><br>rakka<br><br><br> Great Day!

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:52 PM

You should have quit while you where ahead --Pal<br>My real job is that I build buildings.<br>What you do now??? Just having some fun<br><br>

Re: What a great system! - 09/30/02 11:52 PM

1 app = 1 to 5 seconds (depending on which app)<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: sean

Re: What a great system! - 10/01/02 05:28 AM

um yeah, what he said.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: What a great system! - 10/01/02 06:03 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Photoshop<br>InDesign<br>Illustrator<br>GoLive<br>LiveMotion<br>Acrobat<br>Netscape<br>Mail<br>Transmit<br>PhotoToWeb<br>iCal<br>iTunes<br>MS Word<br>iChat<br>StuffIt Deluxe<br>Quicktime Pro<br>iMovie<br>TextEdit<p><hr></blockquote><p>And you folks should see the apps when he's actually working! <br><br>Alec

Re: What a great system! - 10/01/02 06:31 AM

Hey, I'm still working... just not someone else right now. I've been freelancing from home since I moved to Arizona. It's been nice, but sometimes it gets old.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: What a great system! - 10/01/02 06:32 AM

Ooops... was that a prerequisite??? Nobody said they actually had to be apps I "USE"!!! <br><br>RAM is Gooooooooooood!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: What a great system! - 10/01/02 07:26 AM

All on my little PowerMac G4/400...<br><br><br><br>I [color:red]refuse</font color=red> to launch Quark... unless it's an emergency! <br><br>Alec