Regarding "Lurkers" Thread

Posted by: StanFlack

Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 11:49 AM

Hey everyone,<br><br>I have a favor to ask. I think you know we do the very best we know how to bring you Mac news as fast and as accurately as we can. Threads like this take a lot of time out of our day to try to monitor it and make sure things don't get completely out of control.<br><br>I think we are nearly that point, unfortunately.<br><br>I could simply delete the thread of course, but those of you that know me know that I am vehemently opposed to that kind of action.<br><br>As a favor to all of us here at MacMinute, can I ask that you please let this thread die. I think it is time and we would really appreciate it.<br><br>Thanks for your understanding. I appreciate your support.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan
Posted by: iRock

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 11:52 AM

No problem, Stan. You are very patient with us and it is much appreciated. That is my last post to that thread.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>Not all trolls are bad.
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 11:53 AM

OK Stan. No problem.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 11:57 AM

So Stan what is the maximum cap on thread replies before it makes it a headache for you? Maybe we can police ourselves a little.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>Not all trolls are bad.
Posted by: lesh

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 12:01 PM

Happy to comply with your request.<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 12:02 PM

There really is no cap, it just seems to me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that this thread is getting just a bit silly... <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 12:08 PM

Begging your pardon but it seems to have got silly about 450 posts ago. Guess it was time for a cooler head to prevail. Sorry for the hassle.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>Not all trolls are bad.
Posted by: KateSorensen

MM Lounge "Lost (9) Weekend" thread - 09/28/02 12:15 PM

May it RIP.<br><br>Thank you Stan. . .<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 12:49 PM

I'm curious as to what needed to be monitored within that thread? It seems to me it was simply some clean fun... I can't seem to find anything offensive or unacceptable. As a matter of fact, that thread has been the life of the lounge for some time. IMHO.<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 01:14 PM

They made me do it,all of them! and Kate also<br>No problem Stan<br><br>

Glad it is over - 09/28/02 01:30 PM

I was getting tired of holding this rifle at your back!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 01:48 PM

I'm the one that started the thread and even I asked for it to stop around 100 posts back... LOL! <br><br>However, to be honest Stan, I don't see what "monitoring" needs to be done. I mean really, there are what, 10 active users of these forums... and maybe 5-8 active threads in the Lounge... why does it need to be monitored and why bother? I mean yeah it got out of hand, but since all but maybe 2 people who are active on the MM Forum boards participated in it, who could possibly complain about anything. I think Kate is the only one who didn't post in it (that I can think of) and, no offense to Kate, if you feel the need to monitor something due to the request of one or two people who rarely ever post here anyway... well, you see where I'm going with this...<br><br>In any case, that's the end of the rant... and the thread... until RakaDaka posts to it anyway. <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Glad it is over - 09/28/02 01:59 PM

Yeah but I made post 500 <br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 02:12 PM

". . .and, no offense to Kate. . ."<br><br>None taken Gizmo, you've always been kind or nice to me.<br><br>". . .if you feel the need to monitor something due to the request of one or two people who rarely ever post here anyway. . ."<br><br>Did someone(two) complain?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 04:15 PM

sorry i posted there before i read this. but i will never look at it again! <br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 06:49 PM

I have no idea... I can't imagine why Stan would ask for it to stop if someone didn't.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: sross

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 07:11 PM

Frankly, I thought it was breathing some life into this forum and attracting some of the "non-agenda" types.<br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 07:33 PM

that's why I originally started the thread... just to get some action in here... oh well. No big deal I guess.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 07:35 PM

actually i would have liked the lurker thread to go on. fun to read..<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 07:57 PM

Well we can have just as much as fun with smaller threads.<br>If we put our heads together. >bonk<<br>Ouch! Geez Rakka your head is really hard!<br>Cheers, iRock<br>Not all trolls are bad.

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 08:01 PM

i suppose we can... i never knew my head was that hard..<br>have a good day everyone.<br>and your pic is not loading, as well as others who have their pic on .mac.<br>somehow my smiley faces appear though they are on idisk..<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rakka_dakka on 09/28/02 11:56 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 08:50 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>No big deal I guess.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, it IS a big deal. Requesting no further posts in that thread is tantamount to sending all who posted in there into the corner. If it were a schoolroom of 30 students, 28 of us have been sent to the office! May as well shut down the school.<br><br>Stan! I'm still waiting for a response! Or does the lack of response indicate your wish for these forums to return to their quiet, rarely used state?<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 08:54 PM

well, that's kind of how I fealt about it, but there isn't much I can do about it...<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

IDEA! - 09/28/02 08:58 PM

Maybe we turn this thread into one of the lurker-length ones!<br><br><br> Great Day!

Re: IDEA! - 09/28/02 09:00 PM

Don't be a jack@ss rakka... <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: IDEA! - 09/28/02 09:02 PM

ok i won't be one. have a great day<br>you finally spelt rakka correctly<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: IDEA! - 09/28/02 09:04 PM

sorry about the spelling... sometimes I get happy fingers and miss the second "k"<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: IDEA! - 09/28/02 09:07 PM

nothing to be sorry about. happy fingers is good. and i like the spelling raka.<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 09:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If it were a schoolroom of 30 students, 28 of us have been sent to the office!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I had the very same thought. I felt as if I was back in kindergarten getting sent to the corner for talking in class. There are so many interesting tidbits within that thread. I have a feeling that whoever complained never even bothered to read through it. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 09:46 PM

Very odd indeed, i liked the lukers thread. It had much fun and pointless chit-chat wich was much needed in this fourm. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 09:48 PM

I'm not sure what it all means (and still can't figure out what www.it.com means either). Howsomever, if that thread is too long for easy viewing, let it die a peaceful death. We have plenty of other opportunities to make idiots out of ourselves <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 09:50 PM

Pick a thread, any thread. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 09:54 PM

I say when we are posting pure nonsense let's go for quality not quanity. <br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>Not all trolls are bad.

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 09:55 PM

this is as good as any... all it needs is a little "boing" to get it rolling... <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 09:55 PM

I definitely do not like quanity <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:00 PM

quantity is fun.<br>quality is also.<br>quantity and quality make quite fun<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:00 PM

Is that a type of fish? I'll try it next time I'm in a Red Lobster!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:01 PM

You sure? I always say "You can never be too rich or have too many Macs!"<br><br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>Not all trolls are bad.

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:01 PM

Isn't anyone gonna ask how I fit inside a little animal like that? <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:03 PM

I'm not sure I can handle quality. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:05 PM

did you mean quantity?<br>i always thought you could handle quality, and not be able to handle quantity.<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:05 PM

I heard you like to "handle size" and aren't concerned about "quality"... too bad for Alec. <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:08 PM

And how would you be in a position to judge his ahem... quality?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:11 PM

your fixation on his big, fat, hairy, stinky, sweaty, weather-beaten, leathery, wrinkled, pulpy freakin arse gives me all the info I care to have! <br><br>That, and he keeps calling my wife and telling her how great he is with the chics... <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:18 PM

that wasn't nice ...<br>and how would you know about him?..<br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/28/02 10:20 PM

Good one!! I was about to ask the same.<br><br><br><br>

Re: IDEA! - 09/28/02 10:37 PM

you realize if we turn this into a lurkers thread it will always be at the top because it is a sticky thread! <br><br>

Re: IDEA! - 09/28/02 10:39 PM

then the admins will erase it...<br>...<br>they will eventually delete it because it is just a notice. they can not leave this here forever..<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: IDEA! - 09/29/02 09:26 AM

and there it goes....<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: IDEA! - 09/29/02 09:30 AM

Right after i said it was a sticky thread it became a non-sticky thread! <br><br>

Re: IDEA! - 09/29/02 09:56 AM

yep... you're a jinx! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: IDEA! - 09/29/02 09:58 AM

I always knew i was a *special* boy! <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/29/02 11:24 AM

why not just lock the lurkers thread and this thread? they won't be deleted and people can still read them all they want as they slowly fall down the lists of posts and into our history. <br><br>this is a difficult issue to be sure. i visit a few forums seeking quality discussion for the most part (with an understanding that everyone is entitled to do as they please within the rules). i rarely care for silly talk (i have two kids in diapers providing me with this)...please don't interpret this to mean that nobody is entitled to silly talk from time to time, but the lurkers thread was about 99% silly talk and i consider that to be abusive of the opportunity we are being provided. sure, it makes the forums "more" active, but i don't think it adds a thing to the quality of a forum. i would much rather visit a quality forum for discussion on a variety of topics. i find it annoying to open a thread that is merely designed to increase one's post count and doesn't lend to any sort of meaningful discussion. that being said, i realize this is my preference and shouldn't be forced upon other members of the forum. i suppose the mission of the forum(s) would help to clarify whether or not long lurker-type threads are to be tolerated. do we have a mission or purpose for these forums?<br><br>the brief description for this forum is, "This part of the Café is a place to talk about whatever tickles your fancy." this could be interpreted to mean anything goes. hmmm. is there a larger mission for the whole cafe?<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/29/02 12:08 PM

Thats pretty much how I felt about that Lurker thread. I came in here one day and there was 87 new posts to that thread! I knew that I would never get around to reading those and that they were mostly just fun and silly stuff anyway. <br><br>However, I don't see a real problem with that as long as it is in the appropriate place (The Lounge)? I'm not sure what Stan meant by having to monitor it and he appears to have gone back into hibernation when asked for an explanation. If those in charge here at MM want to put a cap on a thread that seems perfectly fine, but it would be helpful to know what it is and why, because without any explanation one can only assume that it was stopped due to its silly (pointless?) behavior, eh?<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/29/02 02:09 PM

They do have to monitor just in case it does get out of hand.<br><br>Think about a newbie that entered into the lounge the first time. It took me with a cable connection 5 minutes to load the page - I then went into the control panel and reset to collasp mode.<br><br>Thats the problem with thread bumping the Lurker thread would have been dead after 6 pages.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/29/02 02:19 PM

But the thing is..you don't have to read the lurkers thread, Sean. Just ignore it like I do for the most part...and then contribute some silly stuff only to bypass more and add again <br><br><br>I will skip some threads if they don't appeal to me and so somedays I go without posting here. No problem. <br><br>Then other days when I'm in a silly mode, I hook up with MacGizmo and we have fun! <br><br>I too don't understand the viewing of the lurkers thread in case it gets out of control...I think we do some good monitoring ourselves.<br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/29/02 03:57 PM

It only takes me 30-50 sec. to load the lurkers thread and i still have it set to 75 post per page on a 56K modem. My point is it was never that hard to load or read through all 530 some post in the first place. no big deal to me! <br><br>

Get over yourself Sean... - 09/29/02 05:47 PM

The problem is Sean, without the folks who participated in the Lurkers thread there would be NOBODY here... you rarely post, and OSX addict and YoYo will eventually tire of posting knowing they are the only two people here. <br><br>Most of the posts in Lurkers were made by MCF people who enjoy MacMinute and we are trying desperately to get folks involved in MM Cafe... but in order for anyone to stay here, there has to be activity. Now you may not like the activity you found in the Lurkers thread, but obviously the people who participated in it did enjoy it, and judging by the number of posts, they enjoyed it very much! Now, considering we are the only ones who post here on even a semi-regular basis, I find it quite offensive that you or anyone else should complain about it.<br><br>Mississauga, Marg, Carp, iRock, Lesh, myself and the others who "padded" in thread are more than willing to participate in serious discussion... when it can be found. So by all means, start a bunch of threads about the Mac and other serious topics and we will gladly contribute... until then, I would appreciate it if anyone who doesn't like it (silly, pointless threads such as lurkers) just keep their opinions to themselves until such time as they have something to contribute themselves. It's not my/our fault you have a slow internet connection, its not my/our fault you don't like mindless banter, and the last time I looked, your (not you in particular, but anyone who disagrees) name wasn't in the domain name.<br><br>Now I certainly don't mind being asked to tone it down by Stan, if there was something offensive or malicious going on. But clearly the entire thread was based on complete siliness, and the only people who were offended were the ones who obviously have no sense of humor and can't stand seeing others enjoy themselves.<br><br>I enjoy the discussions I've had with OSX Addict and YoYo - some were serious topics, some were complete goofiness... but the point is they were our discussions, and anyone else not interested could have easily just passed right on by.<br><br>You stated [color:blue]i don't think it adds a thing to the quality of a forum. i would much rather visit a quality forum for discussion on a variety of topics</font color=blue>. That's YOUR opinion... if you would rather visit a quality forum full of discussion, then go somewhere else where there IS DISCUSSION. There have been dozens of other threads that were more on a serious note here, and I didn't see you participate in any of them.<br><br>[color:blue]i find it annoying to open a thread that is merely designed to increase one's post count and doesn't lend to any sort of meaningful discussion</font color=blue>. I find it annoying that you would make such statements, especially considering you told us that you haven't even read the entire thread. So how the heck do you know what's in there? And who are you to judge what is valueable and what isn't? I didn't start the thread to Pad my post count, I started it to try and get some of the people who lurk and don't post to contribute... it turned into siliness all by itself.<br><br>Now I have probably said more than I should have, but you know what, I contribute to the forums, I read the news page, and I click on the banner ads daily (I've even purchased from them) just to support MM. So as far as I'm concerned, I have as much right as anyone to say, "If you don't like what I'm cooking, get outta the damn kitchen and go to McDonalds!"<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/29/02 06:01 PM

Where have you been Carp... haven't seen you in almost a week.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/29/02 06:07 PM

I would say the Lukers thread was very successful in getting more people to contribute and starting a fun and silly conversation, it was just what this forum needed and with more than 500 some post and 2000+ views you can't tell me people didn't like it! I think that this sort of thing should be encouraged here, and if you don't like it, don't read it! It never has nor will be a big problem to deal with, however i do agree that it may cause problems trying to manage it so if stan wants it to die i think that is fine. i say just start another one! <br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/29/02 06:25 PM

11111th post here!<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/29/02 06:30 PM

What Giz said...<br>As someone who comes here when there are not very many other posters around it has been nice to have more traffic and I think that post did just what it supposed to do. Brought them out of their shell. And people kept checking back. I certainly didn't read the whole thing in one sitting. Fun but time to move on to new fun. <br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and [Unix] BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.<br>Jeremy S. Anderson

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/29/02 07:39 PM

I agree with MG too, but on the other hand I can understand why someone could see the whole lurkers thread as a way to pad post numbers. There are some people who live and die by the "seniority" supposedly granted by numbers of posts--not me, of course (I know, I know, you're probably all ROTFL right now at that statement, but believe me, I've participated in enough boards, starting with MacNN, to recognize that the number of posts means very little of substance).<br><br>Anyway, I guess I want to assure Sean, at least, that there was very little intentional padding in the lurkers thread. It was just plain old laughs and silliness. And as is usually the case, there was some actually pretty interesting, maybe even profound stuff in among the silliness.<br><br>I admit that a Mac board is not the first place one would normally think of when trying to find profundity, but then afaik that's the nature of play. It's the consequence of silliness that makes the arts important. Now, my life's work is paying attention to the arts, the literary arts, and taking them seriously. So I guess you could say that I'm paid to attend to silliness. So maybe I have a higher tolerance for it--silliness--than most (although, given some of my colleagues, I'd say that tolerance and literary studies don't go hand in hand like Adam and Eve strolling out of Eden at the end of Paradise Lost). So I wouldn't want to judge someone else's response to the thread by my own response, which is almost pure delight.<br><br>Still, as I said up above somewhere, I can find delight in lots of things, and if the long thread bothers folks, let it be locked (that's a good compromise idea between deleting, which Stan seems unwilling to do, and just letting it ride, which he also seems unwilling to do).<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: sean

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/29/02 07:43 PM

i am sorry you failed to understand my post and resorted to a personal attack. if you had read my post completely, you would have found the following: "[color:"blue"]that being said, i realize this is my preference and shouldn't be forced upon other members of the forum.</font>" i was merely asking whether or not there was a policy that was being abused and that could be enforced. i am happy to have the opportunity to speak my mind and find your response of attacking me to be completely immature. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/29/02 09:38 PM

Whoa! Now THIS thread is getting frightening! <br><br><br><br>You know, this is all Stan's fault... <br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/29/02 11:48 PM

as i said it is turning into a lurker thread. this time stanf might do some deleting...<br><br><br>raka<br><br> Great Day!
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 02:57 AM

Oh come on...lighten up everyone. It's just in fun.<br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 03:11 AM

this whole forum is fun actually...<br>i hate to admit it, but i do sometimes think that stuff about iran, iraq that alot talk about gets very boring. <br>it is always a good day. at MC there are too much serious stuff about..<br>so i was always lightened up..<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Hey Rakka - 09/30/02 05:35 AM

You are right. That group over at MC are either too full of themselves or too busy trying to be negative. As a young person, you have kept up a positive attitude and haven't been drawn into the "bashing."<br>Some of them make me sick.<br><br>

Re: Hey Rakka - 09/30/02 05:45 AM

You are certainly welcome, too. Hope you stick around.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and [Unix] BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.<br>Jeremy S. Anderson

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 06:05 AM

No, no, no... I guess I should have made this clear right up front instead of half-way through... I said somewhere in that (Not you in particular, but anyone who disagrees). It wasn't meant as a personal attack, rather a blanket statement. <br><br>However I also said, I don't really care if you or anyone else thinks it's immature or wrong. I have to deal with running a business all day, I don't come here for serious discussion. I come here for light-hearted discussions, a little Mac-talk, and not much more. If I (or you) want serious discussion, I would head over to MC in their Lounge where there is enough serious discussion to choke a billy-goat! And guess what, that's the reason most of MC folks continue to come here... to get away from the seriousness.<br><br>As far as forum rules, obviously Stan can make rules as we go, but, the Lounge description clearly states what it's for... nothing about Lurkers falls outside of those boundaries, nobody got "Personal" and nobody got hurt... except for apparently, you.<br><br>I'm sorry you felt like you were attacked, but again, I don't really care because quite frankly, your original post was an attack on all who participated in "Lurkers" as far as I'm concerned.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Hey Rakka - 09/30/02 07:47 AM

I am glad to be here. I have another "persona" who has been here for a while. <br><br>

Re: Hey Rakka - 09/30/02 10:45 AM

Cool beans, a schizophrenic! <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Hey Rakka - 09/30/02 10:49 AM

you think his real name is Tony Soprano??? <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Hey Rakka - 09/30/02 11:17 AM

Close, very close.<br>By the way, have you been watching "Curb Your Enthusiasm?" It is just great.<br>Larry David is the original writer for the Seinfeld show and concieved the whole "show about nothing" concept. There is no script and only a very loose scenerio. Give it a try. Right after the Sopranos.<br><br>

Re: Hey Rakka - 09/30/02 11:37 AM

yeah... I tried watching it, just couldn't "get into it" - however I do watch "Mind of the Married Man" and find that fairly amusing!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 03:11 PM

I for one loves nothing but to yap and yap.<br><br>The point being is that the Lurkers thread could have been much shorter - if there was no thread bumping - move on into other treads.<br><br>Its not about how long thread is.<br>Its about how long it is still is on the main page.<br><br>Thats all.<br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 03:35 PM

Since only the last page (or two) will be new stuff, you really don't need to be clicking on any other pages. And if you set your page view preferences to collapsed, it doesn't matter how many responses are in the thread. On the main page you only see the thread title anyway. Try it. You'll like it. <br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 03:51 PM

I have been doin that "Jet Setter" <br><br>The lurker thread still has to load. Not a big beef in Collasp mode but its still here on the main page of the Lounge.<br><br>Time to move on to higher and greener pastuers where the cow pies can really fly. <br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 03:56 PM

Jet Setter? Cow pies can fly? There's an aviation theme happening here...<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 04:07 PM

Hey speaking about aviation themes.<br>You got your commercial ticket yet???<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 04:15 PM

Yup. Got it in '95 for helos. Still flying on my Private fixed wing tho'! I don't think I'm well-suited to airplanes and airports. I get frustrated by that whole waiting thing; you know...the lining up to do run-ups, waiting to line up for take-off, waiting to join, extended circuits while some student tries to find the centerline etc. At least with a helicopter, the moment you start moving, you're flying and you don't need to enter the circuit. Much better way to travel. And, hey, who needs an airport at all? <br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 05:08 PM

Dang.<br>I give you that one.<br>I don't have a helicopter certificate "Yet"<br>Your right thou no waiting.<br>I fly out from Honolulu International Airport - can you imagine the wait times??? to just to get clearence to Roll. Private planes are way back on the list. Dang.<br><br>Meanwhile the choppers don't even have to Taxi. Still I don't want to imagine flying to island to island in a chopper - Yiiikes.<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 05:28 PM

Dude, I can't even begin to imagine how bad the waiting must be at HNL. It's bad enough here in this backwater trying to get in and out of AKL. I guess there's no GA field near you?<br><br>Overwater isn't a problem if you have a helo with pop-outs fitted. In fact it's mandatory here if you're on air transport ops. Besides, as my old instructor used to say, the aircraft doesn't know it's over water. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MachOne on 09/30/02 09:06 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 06:04 PM

<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 06:07 PM

<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 06:09 PM

The GA fields here don't have any facilities. Generally land and park, no fuel, no hangers, few tie downs. Kinda remote aeas.<br><br>Helos here according to the FAA must have Floating devices installed onto any helo that is flying over water. So some do and some do not.<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 06:23 PM

The smaller machines like Hughes/Schweitzer269s, Robinson R22s etc have insufficient load capacity to accommodate pop-out floats, so they would not qualify for Air Transport ops over water here. You cannot carry fare-paying passengers without the machine having floats if you operate further than gliding distance from land, and you know how well helicopters glide. <br><br>Private operations here allow for helos to operate over water without floats providing the crew and passengers are wearing life jackets. I've flown many flights over water in machines with no floats fitted. You have an awareness of the risk, bit it's much less of a risk than mountain flying. Now that keeps you 'fascinated'. Mountains are unforgiving places.<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 07:08 PM

You two are gonna get us all fired!!!! <br>STOP POSTING TO LURKERS! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 07:12 PM

Hey, my mouse-finger slipped!<br><br>It wuz a ack-see-dent, MG. Honest.<br>*crosses fingers behind back*<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 07:13 PM

I think they're trying (pretty successfully ) to turn Stan's thread into the new Lurkers thread.<br><br>I just wish I know what all that stuff they're writing about means! I'd venture to guess it means nothing, but then Stan would know for sure that his thread has been hijacked <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 07:18 PM

it would be better if it was a sticky thread...<br>but, again, stan might delete after seeing 2 lurker threads<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

DO - 09/30/02 07:18 PM

<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

NOT - 09/30/02 07:18 PM

TURN THIS - 09/30/02 07:18 PM

INTO ANOTHER - 09/30/02 07:18 PM

LURKERS THREAD! - 09/30/02 07:19 PM

PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:19 PM

thank you. <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:20 PM

why not? <br>you started the original lurkers thread..<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:26 PM

Yeah... I also stopped posting to it... <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:27 PM

after about 300 of your posts.<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:29 PM

Hmmmm... I don't think I made 300 posts in that thread!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:30 PM

it's called exaggeration.<br><br> Great Day!

He he he he - 09/30/02 07:30 PM

He gotcha there MG <br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:34 PM

I am aware of that... my post was called sarcastic!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:35 PM

you started it. <br>what if my post was sarcastic?<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:42 PM

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:44 PM

"it"<br><br>i do not know what you mean by "WHAT?". are you p!ssed?<br><br> Great Day!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rakka_dakka on 09/30/02 10:46 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:49 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>are you p!ssed?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I don't think MacGizmo gets drunk this early in the evening (for him it's not yet 9 p. m. on Monday, Sept. 30th)<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 07:51 PM

he may not be drunk. but looks like he is pissed with me.<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 08:06 PM

why would I be pissed?<br><br><embed src="http://jdempsey.com/sigs/jackass.wav" width=320 height=25 controller><br><br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 08:10 PM

i don't know. it seems like it. i think i'm doing something to piss you off.<br>correct me if i'm wrong. <br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 08:21 PM

LOL! Assumption is the mother of all stupidity!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 09:59 PM

does that mean i'm stupid?<br>but like you said assumption is the mother of stupidity, but i don't care.<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:15 PM

Man Rakka... you're right out of the X-Files. Your paranoid man!!! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: gshocked

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:24 PM

hmm this looks like it is turning out to be the Bride of the Lurkers Thread!<br><br>

Re: Get over yourself Sean... - 09/30/02 10:26 PM

We will fly this into another thread.<br>Your right about the Helos - however there are other FAA rulings that make sense. ---------<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:26 PM

thanks. at least you're not pissed with me no more. <br>J/K<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:29 PM

Well I am pissed????<br><br>So is MG some kind of God!!!!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:30 PM

i'm not part making it a lurker thread.<br>so i can not get in to any trouble by someone.<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:32 PM

no, you're not pissed, i meant i "think" MG was pissed before.<br>i don't know, it's all very confusing<br><br> Great Day!

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:33 PM

me too! <br>I like your sig pic, what is it?<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gshocked on 10/01/02 01:34 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:34 PM

you were a big part of it.J/k <br>can't you see my eye twitching??<br> i'm innocent. <br>which post are you replying to?<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rakka_dakka on 10/01/02 01:46 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:37 PM

a big part of what? I am not sure what you mean...<br>I was only saying that I am also innocent...<br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:37 PM

So is MG.<br>He needs help and we all can "give it to him"<br><br>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:38 PM

I hear you!<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:39 PM

I never was, rakka!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:40 PM

Yes, I am! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Regarding "Lurkers" Thread - 09/30/02 10:41 PM

Yeah... I got something for ya, you fat buta! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:42 PM

You think you are -- you wish.<br><br>Bow to the mighty CARP. <br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:42 PM

are you sure you are thinking back correctly? <br>Just kidding again. i knew you weren't pisssed the whole time. just testing maybe.<br>and g-shocked which post were you refering to? i didn't figure it out. i know you were innocent... people these days... never understand emoticons...<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:43 PM

Rakka... if you wanna rock with the big boys, you gotta keep up man! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:43 PM

rakka<br>There is no emotions --- just A-Holes.<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:45 PM

keep up what, i don't understand anything here... <br>i'm dumb, you see, you can't blame me...<br>what's an A-hole?<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:46 PM

Um, you want to handle that one carp? He's wearing me out fast!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:47 PM

i don't wear anyone out..<br>i need answers to my life.. <br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:48 PM

I knew, that you knew! I was just fooling you! I saw your little smiley face winking at me! That is also why I added that I liked your pic! I still do not know what it is though! Is it a Platapus?<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:49 PM

what answers do you need?<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:51 PM

Or an Evil Platapus? <br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:52 PM

Ahhh MG<br>You have the experience in the A-hole field.<br>I am trying to be the good guy here.<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:52 PM

Could be, the devil outfit gives it away!<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:55 PM

Thats only on the surface.<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:55 PM

true, true!<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 10:58 PM

yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnn....<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:00 PM

actually i'm not really sure what it is except a platypus... with a funny hat.<br>i just came across a pic that i like.<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:01 PM

nearly 1 am for you maybe?<br><br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:02 PM

It's Hexley! I have the Hexley icon set! <br><br>A-hole= A$$ hole<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:03 PM

I like it too! Is the Platypus native to Australia!??<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:05 PM

thanks for telling me what it was, greenme1!<br>gshocked: i thinkk the platuypus is native here, i don't know...<br>thanks again. <br>great day<br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:06 PM

You boys put that light out and go to sleep [color:red]RIGHT NOW!!</font color=red> Don't make me come in there! Good Night!<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and [Unix] BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.<br>Jeremy S. Anderson

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:07 PM

hey! does that include me? i'm not part of anything here, just a bystander<br><br><br>rakka<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:09 PM

He he he he he.<br><br>I knew IT, it is always those guys. ha ha ha<br><br>

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:16 PM

[color:purple]EVERYONE!!!</font color=purple><br>or at least keep the noise down. Nitey nite!<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and [Unix] BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.<br>Jeremy S. Anderson

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 09/30/02 11:17 PM

i swear i was just looking. good night <br><br>night?<br><br> Great Day!

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 03/18/05 09:17 PM

I swear, that Stan guy looks familiar, like I've seen him here before but.... naaaahhhh, nevermind.<br><br>
Posted by: Jashue

Re: PLEASE!!!!! - 03/18/05 11:55 PM

Oh my God, what a blast from the past! I remember Spark_Collector getting so pissed at Rakka_ Dakka! <br><br>"Hi! Bye!"<br><br>It was kinda irritating, to tell ya the truth!<br><br>