Mhz Myth article...

Posted by: MacGizmo

Mhz Myth article... - 09/09/02 09:29 AM

Click here for the poop!<br><br>Interesting article that brings up a good point. If AMD joins Apple in trying to get rid of the mhz rating on the machines, how do you easily tell "what the fastest machine in the store is?" It's kind of like an engine in a car... without horsepower rating, how do you know?<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/09/02 09:32 AM

Thanks for the Poop! <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/09/02 02:16 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Moviemaking may be the single most processor-intensive activity on a home computer, on account of the computational effort needed to encode footage into a DVD-ready format. But most PCs, lacking both a FireWire port to import video and a DVD-recording drive to store it, aren't even equipped for this use. <br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>An interesting observation, given that firewire is standard in Macs. So who does the innovating?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/09/02 03:10 PM

Well, we can't expect too much from a journalist, can we!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/10/02 01:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Unless you can name an application like that which demands extra speed<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hmm... Let me see: Photoshop,FCP essentially everything a Mac is used more for!<br><br>As the for rating proccessors the companys need to agree on a standard set of ratings on standard applications and average them together to form a "real world test" statistic that Intel/AMD/IBM/Motorolla/Apple and any of the minor proc companys agree on.<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/10/02 02:20 AM

I doubt that they will ever do that, they will make their own test that make it appear to be the fastest CPU ever when in reality it is no faster than it's competitors. Also their is no good way to have just one rating for each proccesor type, some proccesors are much better at some things and worse at others (i.e. an AMD is many times better than the Pentium 4 Proccesors at workstation tasks, but is the same or slower at 3D rendering tests look at the benchmarks here or the begining of the Artical here ). They should have different ratings for different things such as gaming, 3D rendering, and High end workstation tasks. BTW the artical is addressing the new AMD vs. the current P4 not including the new 2.8Ghz P4<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

What MHz Myth? - 09/10/02 05:46 AM

_<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/10/02 07:09 AM

Hey, don't kill me... I didn't write the article!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/10/02 06:58 PM

That is why we need some federal division devoted purely to this, so that ratings are standardized, kind of like meat, for the US. So we would have a technologyish version of the USDA rating procs. based on different tests that they perform. swwwwwweeeeeeeettttttttt.<br><br>stop that vesch before I viddy over and smash you something horrorshow
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/11/02 02:37 AM

A federal division would have FA effect on me as I am in the UK...<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/11/02 07:40 AM

Having a federal division to satisfy the egos of chip makers seems a bit much, no?<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/11/02 07:41 AM

If it was started in the US and all the major manufactures agreed it might end up going over seas, think of it, if AMD, Intel, Motorola, and IBM all had ratings that were standard it might not stay in the US. or if you were to have a industry wide standard that was monitored by the US in the US it should work for most International markets too.....<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Mhz Myth article... - 09/13/02 04:02 PM

You could still read the ratings…the point is; we pay taxes to fund it in the US, and anybody who wants to can post it on their website, right? right.<br><br>stop that vesch before I viddy over and smash you something horrorshow