Desktop Photo Gallery

Posted by: MacGizmo

Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/17/04 06:28 AM

I know there are several artists and photographers here, so I thought I would start a "Post your desktop photo" thread. These can be on any subject you want, so don't think it has to be Apple-related. The idea is to create a "history" of our work. If we continue to post in this thread, over time we will have quite a nice collection.<br><br>[color:green]Please post only custom-made photos - not just a big photo from some web site you downloaded. The idea is to show off YOUR talent, not someone elses (though using pieces of other people's work is OK, as long as you have customized it in some way.) <br><br>*Please post only the full photo (no screenshots) and please provide at least two sizes (I recommend 1600x1200 and 1024x768 pixels) so that people with different size screens can at least resize them to fit properly. Be sure to link to them, so others can use your art on their desktop.</font color=green><br><br>I have several to start with, so I created a page on my web site,<br>rather than filling a post with a ton of thumbnails and links.<br>You can view them here.<br><br>Here's a sample:<br><br><br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: SleeveTugger

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/17/04 06:39 AM

I have nothing to contribute, but a huge THANK YOU! This is a terrific idea to see peoples talents, and for those of us who don't have that talent to enjoy the changes on our desktops as well.<br>I love the JAZZ desktop..........<br>Mary<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/17/04 07:43 AM

Great idea, I'll strat by grabbing some of your ideas. That brushed metal frame sounds good to limit the size of the image.. <br><br><br>DigitalEye

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/17/04 07:49 AM

I look forward to seeing your stuff, cause I KNOW you have plenty to show off!!! <br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/17/04 07:56 AM

it's a great idea. i'll do a similar page in a few days.<br><br>btw, can you send me that silver apple in hi-res? did you create it?<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/17/04 09:09 AM

Good idea..I'll get some of my pics up soon. Course they pale in comparison to Waleeds! <br><br>
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/17/04 05:01 PM

<br><br>Jeans 1024x768<br><br>[color:red]Kitty!</font color=red>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/20/04 02:28 PM

Thanks! I stole this one from you for my desktop: <br><br>_________________________________________<br>http://www.geocities.com/djstefan/bush.gif

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/20/04 03:14 PM

Glad you liked it!<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/20/04 05:56 PM

I posted a desktop page in order to get more experience with Dreamwrecker, er, weaver...an app that's driving me .<br>The desktops are mostly the result of some past Photoshop fiddling. There's only one size, 1160x870 because that's all I could find. They're unsigned, but I made them with my own work, primarily. <br><br>Link<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/21/04 09:07 PM

I like the apple-decorated Georgia O'Keefe <br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/22/04 08:22 AM

Just added another series of desktop pics called I am root. - Kind of a play off of root user. It comes in black, purple, green and dark red and is available for download from my desktops page. The actual artwork is a bit more detailed than what you can see in the preview below.<br><br><br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/22/04 09:50 AM

Here are two simple ones in my Neue style. Click 'em good....<br><br>You get whatever sizes these are. Deal with it.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/22/04 10:47 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/dreed2/.Pictures/john-yoko.jpg<br><br>pencil/pen&ink<br><br>1024x768<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/22/04 12:50 PM

I have a few here: [color:blue]Ezyrider's Stuff</font color=blue><br><br>I scanned and tweaked the Alien desktop (I'm a big H.R.Giger fan). The Beatles desktop is combination of artwork, I liked both pictures just not seperately so I combined them in Photoshop. The Starstreams desktops are originals but too busy, they're a work in progress. I also have a couple of Superman icons I created. My main HDs are Krypton and Metropolis and I couldn't find any really good icons for them so I created them.<br><br>[color:green]John and I literally used to sit down and say, 'Now, let's write a swimming pool.'" -Paul McCartney</font color=green>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/22/04 02:58 PM

I've added this one, per request, to my desktops page. Link<br><br><br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 02/29/04 05:20 PM

One more. Link.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/01/04 04:40 AM

Interesting pics... I like these B&W ones you have.<br><br> What?

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/06/04 04:19 AM

your mac on the left looks like a microwave oven<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/06/04 06:07 AM

does this mean I have to resize the thousands I have made?<br>too much the magic bus.. Some of the above can be found at ResExcellence.<br>I recently moved from 832x624 to 1280x1024 and have been making very small images that stretch, out of opal photographs. This of course isn't easy, for pixellation is difficult to remove in small stretched images but I think that the colour is worth it.. Making small(in Kb) images that will stretch, first to 832 and now to 1280, is something I decided to do in order to make desktops that use little in the way of CPU cycles, if that is the correct terminology. Not that this matters now with the equipment I have today but it is still fun.<br>I call these unopaled<br>and green opalz?<br>does anyone like?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/06/04 09:36 AM

you can always make a script in ps to resize automatically all of them<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/06/04 10:32 PM

Another one added to my desktops page - photo courtesty of Trog from a lounge thread:<br><br>Buggin<br><br><br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/06/04 10:36 PM

did you have a look at them?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/07/04 02:45 AM

i could only download the unopaled and i didn't particularly like the colors. i found them too bright for a desktop. but i think it's a great idea that they are so small.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/07/04 08:37 AM

I can't take credit for the picture, I just posted it.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/10/04 08:43 PM

Script Happens - Download full size versions here.<br><br><br><br>Also, borrowed one of Margadagio's paintings and created this one:<br><br><br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/10/04 08:52 PM

Is there an easy way to resize them to 1680 x 1050? If I just resize in photoshop will they look as good?<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/11/04 05:58 AM

You could scale the 1600x1200 ones I provide to 1680 wide, then crop off bottom to make 1050. We're only talking about enlarging it 80 pixels, so you won't notice much difference as long as you save it with a high quality .jpg setting.<br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/11/04 06:25 AM

what about 1920x1200?<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/11/04 08:20 AM

Sorry, I have a 1600x1200 res on my LCD, so I tend to build for that... I'll try to build larger ones so that you can at least have something that isn't all blurred because it's scaled. I generally stick with 1600x1200 because very few people have a monitor capable of displaying anything larger than that, but with Apple's displays going wide-screen, I guess I'll have to rethink that.<br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/11/04 08:27 AM

No problem. I decided to wait on making mine...well, actually what I will do is take pictures and use good ones as desktops.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/13/04 06:52 PM

Ah yes well each of us has our own colour tastes these are not necessarily mine either.. I was just playing with a couple of opal photographs and cutting out a section, then attempting to make it fit the desktop without pixellating.. 'Tis something i frst did on OS9 because large desktop images really slowed down the CPU.<br>I was amazed that they resized themselves to also fit the 1280x1024 of my current monitor.<br>The one you could not download is greens rather than reds. I may be able to upload it somewhere else. I can make many shades, since I have plenty opal to photograph.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/17/04 10:16 PM

Here's one of my bird pics as a desktop.<br><br><br>1280x1024<br>1544x1024<br><br>The original scan was only 1544x1024, so i can't go bigger until i feel like paying for a better scan.<br><br>

Monster's in the house! - 03/21/04 09:53 AM

Monster's in the house! New Monster's Inc. desktop photo available now.<br><br><br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/27/04 05:34 AM

Here are some from me finally...I made them into 3 different sizes. If I missed one let me know. I am not sure the size of the 17 or 20 inch monitors...<br><br>My selections<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/27/04 08:49 PM

That zebra head is a great shot, John.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/27/04 08:52 PM

Thanks!<br><br>Hmmm...strange. I just downloaded the largest sized one and it says it is 798x531..what's up with that?<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/27/04 09:07 PM

The 1024 is the same size. I think that's what the photo gallery sets the default size to. If you put the document in the public folder in your iDisk, people can download it.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/27/04 09:07 PM

ahh..I had used iPhoto to upload thinking I was saving time. Well, if anyone wants a copy, let me know.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/27/04 09:51 PM

I would love to have the zebra head, John. The 1024 would suit me fine.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 04:37 AM

Alright..will put it in the public folder<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 07:05 AM

I'd like to have the largest one you have (the zebra head)<br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 07:11 AM

I wonder what kind of ingenious caption you will put with that photo to make another desktop?<br>By the way, I am using the Monster's Inc on my ibook. My grand daughter loves it.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 10:03 AM

Do you have a downloads page set up on your site? I didn't see it.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 04:33 PM

oops..totally forgot and was gone all day. Putting the largest in there for you now Gizmo and YoYo, it will be available in a few minutes..it's still uploading.<br><br>The Zebrahead1900.jpg is the largest one. THe 1024 one is the one you want YoYo<br>They are both up now and in the Public section:<br>http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JohnR on 03/28/04 07:34 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 05:57 PM

Thanks. That zebra is just fantastic! I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I'm going to make it into some kind of desktop (if you don't mind me using your photo).<br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 06:00 PM

Glad you liked the Monsters Inc desktop. That photo is the only one I've ever found at high resolution (I believe I have a 300 dpi file about 16 inches wide of it), thus the only one I could use on my monitor.<br><br>[color:green]When you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.</font color=green>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/28/04 07:51 PM

Thanks, John.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/29/04 02:44 AM

Welcome! <br><br>If you want a higher dpi one, let me know...I think I had reduced that one down?<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 03/29/04 09:10 PM

It's fine. I have it as my desktop picture now <br><br>Thanks again.<br><br>

John's Zebra - 04/03/04 06:51 AM

New Addition to my desktops page: Mac OSZ (four flavors)<br><br> <br><br><br> My uptime is longer than yours, therefore my e-penis is longer.
Posted by: iRock

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 04/06/04 10:46 PM

I'm sorry there is only one size of each but it took quite a while to upload these. However if anyone wants to resize them I tried to make them easily adaptable. The first one I made at work the second and third for my laptop. Contact me if you need help. Sizes and file names are on the previews below.<br><br> File Sharing<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 04/06/04 11:22 PM

Great desktops! <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 04/06/04 11:43 PM

Tanks!<br><br>
Posted by: azande

Re: John's Zebra - 04/07/04 03:20 AM

Thanks Gizmo. Great desktops and the Mac OSZ - Orange is now on my TiBook!<br><br>Az.<br>That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed. - The Sandman

Re: John's Zebra - 04/07/04 07:29 AM

Thank John for the fantastic photo of the Zebra...<br><br><br> My uptime is longer than yours, therefore my e-penis is longer.
Posted by: azande

Re: John's Zebra - 04/07/04 08:17 AM

Of course you are right! Thanks John.<br><br>Az.<br>That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed. - The Sandman
Posted by: MacHeadCase

Desktop Photo Gallery - 05/17/04 10:49 AM

Hello all! This thread will make me update my .mac Homepage so I can share my desktop pictures with you guys! <br><br>I'll have some Terragen renders there and pictures I took with my new baby, a Canon Digital Rebel! <br><br>Will work on it in the next few days then will post the link. <br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 05/17/04 10:57 AM

Also you can post the photos in the Members Lounge.<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 05/17/04 11:04 AM

Well being a newbie here I do have lots to explore for sure!<br><br>Thanks for the info, Mactico, I'll be sure to check it out!<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 05/17/04 11:15 AM

Welcome. There are lots of folks with new cameras here, so be prepared to show off your pictures!<br><br>

Re: Desktop Photo Gallery - 05/17/04 11:24 AM

Ok! <br><br>