I'm thinking about a new Jetta

Posted by: cesrivas

I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 09:52 AM

I'm thinking in selling my Golf GTI and getting a new VW Jetta. My GTI is working OK, and I just want a new car... but I wonder if VW will introduce a new Jetta for '05 ...<br><br>I know that the new golf is underway in germany... so I wonder about a new jetta<br><br>here are some the new golf images...<br><br><br><br><br>%-) <--- me?
Posted by: Michael

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 10:25 AM

I was in the market for a new car last year. I considered everything under the sun from Volovo to Ram Pickup and looked at the Passat and PT Cruiser when I started to narrow down to a few. My final purchase was a Hyundai Elantra GT. I was a little apprehensive because I had never owned anything except GMs and Fords (both of which I'll never buy again), but I have to say I am very pleased with this car. It is fully loaded power everything and includes power moon roof, side impact air bags, cd player, keyless entry with intruder alarm, sport fog lamps and traction control system to name a few of the options. It has a 100,000 mi. 10 year warranty and I got it for $12,100. (MSRP was over $18,000). Just an F.Y.I. for anyone thinking about getting a new car.<br><br>This isn't a picture of my car, but it looks exactly like this.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: AdamB

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 11:12 AM

Normally, I am running around on the car forums. First day here, and what do I see? Car question. <br><br>Rumor says VM will put out a new Jetta in 05. It is a bit different....run here (http://www.news24.com/Wheels24/News/0,,1369-1372_1474652,00.html) if you want to see.<br><br>Ok, enough. When I can get my MAC in March.....I'll stop talking about cars. <br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 11:16 AM

I like the Jetta, but for its price, it's way too small. There's no leg room in it. For the same price I could get an Accord or Camry. Now, those won't drive as nicely, but the Jetta won't either if my legs are all cramped up and my passengers are complaining. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 11:20 AM

Forget that German crap<br><br>Check out the Topless SS pickup<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 11:45 AM

i own a Golf and have always wanted a GTI. the Jetta is too boring<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:16 PM

I had two GTIs in a row, then got a Jetta. The GL is kind of boring compared to it, but then you could always step up to the GLI version with the VR6 engine, not boring anymore!<br><br><br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:19 PM

I don't know, I don't have a lot of confidence in Korean cars in general and Hyundais have always struck me as being particularly low on the rung when it comes to lasting a long time. Could be just a misperception I suppose. Most Japanese and Korean cars just don't do it for me at all in the design aspect. <br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:19 PM

Pssssst...Adam.....(Lori talking quietly)......that is Mac ,not all capitals.<br>Quick, change it before the rest of the guys see it!<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: azande

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:20 PM

I would personally stick with the Golf, but that just my opinion. <br><br>Az.<br>That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed. - The Sandman

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:21 PM

Carp, you're pissing me off dude!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:22 PM

Uh..sorry..TOO late Lori! <br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:23 PM

I love that thing!<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: AdamB

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:29 PM

oh my....far too late. Oh well. Next time I will know.<br><br>As long as everyone is still on the subject....buy a Subaru! The interior is not the best of luxury, but the driving experience is wonderful. Turbos are so much fun:)<br><br>..or, what for the distribution of the Golf R32.....basically a GTI with more HP and all wheel drive.<br><br><br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:37 PM

Yeah the R32 would be a kick in the ass. <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:43 PM

I hear ya. But, believe me I didn't make the purchase without doing a lot of research especially reading any and all reviews written by people who have bought them and I didn't see anything that discouraged me. It also had one of the highest safety ratings believe it or not. I also have a friend who bought a new Sonata 3 years ago and has not had a single problem. I think they are starting to try and compete with Honda. Anyway considering I paid twice as much for my last 2 Chevy Blazers, and the the '97 was a money pit, I figure I'm already ahead of the game with this.<br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 12:56 PM

Carp, you're pissing me off dude!<br><br>LOL I knew it would LOL<br><br>That SS pickup has entered in the 40,000 price range. Did Chevy lose their frigging minds? YES<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 01:14 PM

i went to buy a GTI last june and left with this:<br><br><br><br>it's my 4th bug, but my first new beetle. and, it gets around in the snow pretty well. <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 01:21 PM

Interesting<br><br>I am seeing a slow down in Bug sales here with a growth of Cooper Minis sales.<br><br>Maybe if Cooper sells a topless it would kill the Bugs all together??<br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 01:57 PM

if there had been a mini dealer within 2 hours of here, i'd have considered one. i sat in one a few months ago and was surprised by the spaciousness of then little thing. <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 02:02 PM

They do look real cool = also look like a death trap.<br><br>The bug looks more beefier and safer on a car to car contest.<br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/07/04 02:06 PM

the fastest road i've traveled on with it is 40 mph (in 7 or 8 months i've had it). the fastest road on the way to work is 35 mph. i have 2,000 miles on it. anytime i travel, we take the mini-van. anytime the kids are involved, we take the mini-van...except on nice summer days when i just take the kids cruising with the top down. <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/08/04 05:50 AM

I believe you and I also think they have probably improved over the years in terms of quality, etc. Just like the early Japanese cars and products from Japan, at first they were really just not good in comparison to say German built stuff. That has changed over the years, now Japan probably has the edge. So I could see that continuing to be the case for stuff from Korea too. I have maybe one or two products from Korea, Samsung DVD player which I have been happy with. Seems like a well built piece of equipment. <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/08/04 05:54 AM

The Mini Cooper is small, but with BMW technology in the guts of it, I don't think safety is an issue with them. I doubt you could build a car that is allowed on the Autobahn without meeting certain safety standards. We thought about getting one for a commuter rocket, but it is just too small for us. <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/08/04 05:57 AM

You speed demon Sean! 40 in a 35 zone. I am calling your local police dept right now. Good God man, you gotta open that baby up sometimes to blow out the cobwebs, screw the speed limit. I'd buy a used car from this man anytime! He's your grandmother.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: lislaz

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/08/04 11:54 AM

Ya took them words right out of my post!<br><br>Of course Sean does have two small children. BUT STILL!!!! <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/08/04 01:06 PM

i can't get any more speeding tickets, so i've turned into an old man (and my wife hates it). i drive faster in the minivan on the highway (i'll even get up to about 77 -- in a 70...that last ticket just did the trick; i guess they work, eh?). that being said, i am thinking of selling the car this summer and getting a smaller SUV-type vehicle (nissan xterra or so)...that's just more me. i wish toyota had the hybrid SUV coming out soon.<br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/08/04 05:14 PM

Oooh 77!<br><br><br><br>You better not come to California Sean, you'll get run over. On my daily commute I go about 80-85 and cars are passing me! I swear everyone is going 90 or better on the way to and from work. <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/08/04 06:14 PM

i was born in california (san bernardino) and have visited there many times over the past 5 years. i am not bragging that i drive fast at 77, but it does allow me to fit right in with traffic here in the midwest...i purposefully don't drive fast anymore because i decided it wasn't worth it and i want to stay safe with my 3 1/2 and 2 year olds. i used to be a pretty crazy driver and have been in a car that hit close to 135 mph. but, those high speeds are just stupidity to me now. anyway, the thing that worries me about driving in southern california is not the speeding -- it's the "red light means green" syndrome. i cannot believe how many people see the light turn red and continue to go through the intersection in your neck of the woods. <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/09/04 07:28 AM

I WISH I could 'open up', but i-95's like a parking lot most mornings...<br><br>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/09/04 08:12 AM

Keep the GTI man! if not, go for a Mitsubishi Evolution! Nicest car I ever drove... Jetta is, hmmm.... boring<br><br>_________________________________________<br>http://www.geocities.com/djstefan/bush.gif

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/09/04 10:26 AM

You got that right. <br><br>Thankfully, these days I drive in the opposite of the crazy traffic direction. Little consolation when what I really want to do is sleep in!<br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/09/04 10:28 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I drive in the opposite of the crazy traffic direction<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>So that was you on the news the other day! "Crazy maniac driving against traffic!" <br><br>_________________________________________<br>http://www.geocities.com/djstefan/bush.gif

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/09/04 10:32 AM

[throws a pillow in djstefan's general direction....hopes he doesn't notice the brick that's in it]<br><br><br><br>You called me crazy, right? <br><br>

Re: I'm thinking about a new Jetta - 02/09/04 10:56 AM

OUCH!OUCH!OUCH!<br><br>_________________________________________<br>http://www.geocities.com/djstefan/bush.gif