It's The Little Things...(rant)

Posted by: Anonymous

It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/03/01 12:24 PM

It's not the big deals in life that bug me the most, it's those little things.<br><br>Like the way people insist on walking around with their cel phones surgically attached, talking about their dog's skin condition (or other equally vital things.) Is the world so deprived of continual inane yammering that it must be indulged in 24/7?<br><br>Then there's the "You just don't get it" reply which gets trotted out a lot these days. As in, "I think the PT Cruiser is ugly." "You just don't get it." As though "getting it" is some kind of answer, a holy mantra. Having "gotten it" you are thus qualified to ascend to heaven. "You just don't get it" is a non-reason, delivered by the intellectually bankrupt, to be trotted out whenever reason fails. A perfectly silly putdown attempt which fails miserably except against the easily browbeaten. As for the PT Cruiser, I think the thing is ugly. My opinion.<br><br>Will that guy saying "funk soul bruthha" fifty million times in a row just drop dead now, please? And take those "who let the dogs out" morons with you. Just a gentle request.<br><br>Any other little things that drive you nuts?<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/03/01 01:34 PM

ahahaha terribly funny post John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/03/01 05:51 PM

Good post, John! I can really only think of one right now... people who talk to others around them while they are on the phone talking to you... if they ask you to hang on, that's fine, but when they just start talking to other people there (and it sometimes seems like they're still talking to you), that's just confusing and rude...<br><br>

The Phone - 06/04/01 07:39 AM

The Phone (note the caps) is probably the single most intrusive bit of technology Man has invented. Typical scene: man on his deathbed is about to whisper the Meaning of Life or some such final blessing to his son. The phone rings and the son says, "Hold that thought," and picks up! It's as though the ring of a phone is Gabriel's horn summoning us to a better life.<br><br>Alexander Graham Bell refused to have telephones around his summer home in Baddeck, Nova Scotia. He hated his own invention for its intrusiveness.<br><br>John<br><br>

Re: The Phone - 06/04/01 10:46 AM

Not to mention that speaking on the phone and carrying out virtually any other task that requires thought is very difficult... which of course, leads to another peeve and that's when you're talking to someone over the phone and it's painfully obvious they aren't really paying attention...<br><br>People ask me why I prefer IM... because I can easily ignore you if I want to, and I can carry on other tasks as well.<br><br>

Re: The Phone - 06/04/01 10:59 AM

<br>I really don't like cell phones (i have one for work but i don't use it), how hard it to understand where and where not to use your cellphone. I was in at a movie the other day, the guy' pager in front of me, went off (beep not silent), He then procceds to call this person back to talk about a date that he had and how he had gotten' some. Ten people including myself, in varying degrees of asking (please, could you talk out side all the way to would you @&#*$#$ get you and your mother#@*@&^! cell phone outa' here) about five minutes later the manager of the theather with one of the cops that seems to be in the theater all the time, came and removed this guy (who was still on the phone). <br><br>Oni<br><br><br>this is my signature do you like it?
Posted by: scaught

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/04/01 12:40 PM

this one lady in the post office line one day had one of those "hands free headset attachment" things for her phone and was wearing it in line and carrying on a coversation with someone. it was odd to watch her just talking into the air with no plastic device held up to her ear.<br><br>cellphones in public are annoying, but its even worse when people are driving and are swaying all over the road cause they dont have brains enough to do 2 things at once. yes. i know there are people can drive and talk at the same time, i just havent been behind any of those people yet. <br><br>oh. annoyingly loud car stereos are annoying. <br><br>

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/04/01 08:01 PM

ditto all of the above, and I'm one of those that's an ass and doesn't listen to people when I'm on the phone, if I don't make myself turn away from the computer... argh... I know it and I still do it... my wife catches me all of the time...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: bdog

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/04/01 08:57 PM

Word up!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Here's Another One: Preannouncements - 06/05/01 07:02 AM

Sony today announced that it's "going to" produce inkjet printers and will have a "photo printer" (whatever that vague term means) by the end of the year. Maybe. Like Motorola's fuzzy announcements of faster, better cpu's, this one is meaningless. The tech sector is known for its penchant for announcing products which may, or may not ever make it to the third dimension in solid form. There is even a newish entry in the dictionary for it. Vapourware.<br><br>Just show up with the products when they are ready, bozos. Don't waste any precious seconds out of my too-short life talking about things that aren't there (and may never be.)<br><br>As for me I'll continue with my usual attitude: I'll believe it when I see it.<br><br>John<br><br>

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/14/01 06:59 PM

i cannot understand why people live at the beck and call (literally) of their phones. It's *my* convenience and i'll use it when i damn well feel like it.<br><br>part of my daily joy is knowing that i am completely and utterly unavailable to everyone for several hours after work.<br><br>I turn off the ringer. anyone i really care to talk to will leave a message and i'll get back to them. <br><br>and don't get me started on polluting every lump of earth higher than 100 feet with a damn cell phone tower so the american leisure class (teenagers) can walk around the mall and talk to their friends on the phone. <br><br>sigh.<br><br>
Posted by: Entish

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/14/01 07:34 PM

yeah analog mobile phone users had a 27% chance of a brain tumor and those who used them for 10 years .. a 77% chance.. wonder what the figures will be for digital mobiles after 10 years...?<br>what a risk... it would surely be more fun driving fast or taking drugs?<br><br><br>

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/14/01 10:01 PM

entish.... hehe... the cancer rates... as if walking down a main street in texas won't give you lung cancer for all of the bad air that we have here....<br><br>I really love Texas and Mr. Bush, but damn... even being a conservative son of a bitch... I have to admit that it sucks having the worst air quality in the US, and probably the world....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: Entish

Re: It's The Little Things...(rant) - 06/15/01 08:19 AM

don't want to argue politics but the English Language may be another matter... "conservative" always bothered me as a party name... or preference ... since all those who considered themselves "conservative"... seem to do more towards conserving the status Quo in increasing pollution rates, lowering the survival rates of ecosystems, collapsing financial instututions, deleting social services, squeezing health and lowering educational standards, reducing taxes yet increasing expenditure on defence, and huge construction projects doomed to financial cost overruns and eventual failure to complete, rampant callous clearing, magnaminous mining multiglomerates and genetic ruination of God's creation...... how this = the Webster's definition or any other definition found in any dictionary for the word conservative I have no idea... <br>Conservative \Con*serv"a*tive\, n.<br> 1. One who, or that which, preserves from ruin, injury,<br> innovation, or radical change; a preserver; a conserver.<br><br> The Holy Spirit is the great conservative of the new<br> life. --Jer. Taylor.<br> <br>the wheel grinds slowly round<br><br> what have they done to our fair sister?<br>stabbed her with knives, tied her with fences and dragged her down...Jim Morrison