Motorola is going down the gurgler...

Posted by: MachOne

Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/28/02 03:39 AM

This link is an opinion piece about Mot's dumping of another 7000 mployees. In itself, it's not a huge milestone. What's interesting is the forum comment that follows. If you're interested, link by clicking this URL. Or not .Whatever. All I can say is, I hope Apple has a Plan B,<br><br>Edit: If connecting with MacCentral offends you, don't click the link.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MachOne on 06/28/02 06:58 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/28/02 08:36 AM

heh... I love the if connecting with MC bothers you comment...<br><br>I don't mind connecting to MC, its reading it that I don't enjoy ;)<br><br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/28/02 10:30 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I don't mind connecting to MC, its reading it that I don't enjoy ;)<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>That's the way I feel about McNN. I made the mistake of going back to their lounge last week. Good God--oops, meant good Nation --what a bunch of flaming flamers! I can't believe I used to spend enough time there to get my postings up in the thousands. Age brings wisdom, I guess <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/28/02 11:25 AM

Hmm. I wonder how soon Apple hardware will be running AMD or Pentium processors? Could happen!<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/28/02 01:10 PM

I would have thought that the sensationalistic title to this post might have got more of a reaction. <br><br>Fact is, I don't really think Mot will buy the farm anytime soon. And I think there's enough life left in the G4 for a bit more speed and other improvements like the move to DDR. <br><br>But I have serious doubts about Mot's ability to deliver on a G5 for Apple. Does that matter? Don't know, but if Intel and AMD get their next gen 64 bit solutions out the door and if the performance they deliver is up to the hype, (big if), then Apple will certainly look second string in comparison.<br><br>So, anyone heard anything lately about the G5? It's gone verrrrry quiet in Motorola land. <br><br>

Re: Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/28/02 01:17 PM

It might have to happen. Then again, there's been speculation that Apple could start (or buy) its own fab and buy the rights to the G4/G5 and produce them 'in-house'.<br><br>I don't know how realistic a scenario that is though. I imagine the R&D investment would be horrendous and even a cash-rich company like Apple might be hard-pressed to make money from cooking its own chips.<br><br>Interesting times, as the Chinese would say. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/28/02 08:45 PM

Motorolaland is getting to be more like Motorolahalfacre, unfortunately for its workforce 9and for Apple, of course). Let's not forget that IBM also makes the processors Apple uses, although the Altivec thing gets in the way. But really, suppose that Moto really bit the dust, would it take Altivec with it, or sell it to someone else? Suppose Apple bought it and licenced it for free to IBM? Anyway, all this aside, it's not a good thing that there are only one and a half chip makers that Apple can depend on.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Motorola is going down the gurgler... - 06/29/02 12:17 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>suppose that Moto really bit the dust, would it take Altivec with it, or sell it to someone else? Suppose Apple bought it and licenced it for free to IBM? <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I'd have to say that I think this is the most likely situation... IBM and Apple wouldn't get it too much of a bidding war over this... the only company I can see buying the Altivec technology over Apple would be Microsoft, just because they have the cash to do it... but at the same time... something tells me that would just get them in more trouble than they need to be in right now...<br><br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie