Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera?

Posted by: MacGizmo

Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 04:29 AM

I would really like to get a decent (read: nice, but not overly expensive) digital camera. 4 megapixels is a minimum, 6 MPs max. At least 3X optical zoom, 4X or more would be better. Must have a USB or Firewire connector and accept some form of standard storage card (none of those silly-assed CD storage.) I would love the ability to have it store RAW image format and .jpg, but it's optional. Of course it must work with OSX, and I would prefer it if I wasn't forced to use any software from the camera maker - I like just downloading with ImageCapture and using Photoshop!<br><br>I'm NOT a pro photographer, and I have no reason to need the "Uber-Camera" - but I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel G SLR camera that I love. It takes fantastic photos... but I hate waiting for film to get developed and I hate paying for shots that I don't want anyway.<br><br>I am looking at cameras in the $300 - $700 range - though the Digital version of my SLR camera (Canon EOS Rebel 6 megapixel) is available for $899 (without a lens - I'm assuming I can use the lens from my SLR camera with it) and I'm serisously considering it.<br><br>Anyone have any advice/suggestions?<br><br>I also wouldn't mind seeing some full size samples, if you have them.<br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 04:43 AM

I got a Canon Powershot G3 last summer (just days before the Powershot G5 was released ), and I love it. 4MP (the G5 is 5MP), full auto and full manual modes, 12X zoom when the digital zoom kicks in). Incredible image quality and color fidelity. Built like a tank, yet compact & lightweight. It has all the features you're specifically looking for, and then some.<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 05:13 AM

I gotta second Steve's post about Canon...I have a lower-end Powershot model, but the thing is built like a rock. It feels like it was carved out of a block of steel, and takes fantastic pictures. Great layout of the controls, works with iPhoto/Image Capture, etc. very well. <br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 05:22 AM

Can you post (or email) a full size photo (high-res mode from the camera) to me so I can see what kind of quality we're talking about? The PowerShot was one of the ones I was considering.<br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 06:13 AM

I have a nikon D100 that I love. I am a big fan of digital SLR's, but they are expensive. The Cannon rebel is your best bet in the less expensive SLR line. Nikon is coming out with the D70, but who knows when it will hit the street. Sony makes a very good point and shoot, and they use excellent glass in their lenses. If you want to do your own research go to http://www.dpreview.com/. They have outstanding, indepth reviews of just about every digital camera on the market. Since camera technology is advancing as fast as computers are, I would advise you to buy as much camera as you can afford. Good luck,<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 06:20 AM

Thanks for the linkage... I'll check that site out tonight. I'm trying to avoid the $600 and up cameras, simply because I'm only using this for "family photo" type of work, not pro-photography stuff. But when I think of what the future might hold, the higher-end stuff might be the way to go.<br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 09:05 AM

I compared the Canon PowerShot G5 and the S50 and have found them to be quite similar in "quality of photo" according to the comparison charts at the dpreview.com site mentioned above. The G5 does offer more "pro" features such as the included hot shoe for external flash, remote control, and other "non-essential for my use" stuff - but for around $100-$200 more (depending on where you buy). So I think I'll rule out the G5 for now and compare the S50 to other brand models - though I really like Canon cameras.<br><br>I'm considering using Buy.com for purchase (If I actually end up getting one) because of all the price listings, Buy.com is the only one I've ever heard of compared to the other "lowest price" resellers listed.<br><br>Of course, my dilemma is this: Buy a neat camera now, or save money and get a really neat G5 after MacWorld!<br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MacGizmo on 12/08/03 12:07 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 09:30 AM

If that is the case, I would recommend the Nikon Coolpix 4300. Or if you want a little more manual control, the 4500. These are both 4MP cameras.<br><br>Unless you are printing posters with it, once you go beyond 3 MP, the image quality should be looked at more than the number of megapixels. megapixels are like MHz in the computing world - they aren't the final measurement, though most people only judge based on that.<br><br>BTW, here's an un-altered pic from my Coolpix 4500. That flower was about an inch wide in real life.<br>http://homepage.mac.com/kevinhayes/.Pictures/flowerbig.jpg<br><br>Here's a couple more (the lamppost image was shrunk down):<br>http://homepage.mac.com/kevinhayes/.Pictures/watertower.jpg<br>http://homepage.mac.com/kevinhayes/.Pictures/lamppost.jpg<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 09:50 AM

Going for the digital version of your camera is a very good idea. It has a good price for an SLR. Having an SLR over the all in one cameras is a big advantage. Beeing able to share lens with your film camera is an even bigger advantage. Every camera is a bit different and if you buy the same camera you'll save a lot of time not having to learn the nuances of a new case. You'll get what you expect from your new digital right away.<br><br>I never quite understood those semi professional all in one designs. If you want family photography go for a compact, if you feel you need creative freedom than go SLR.<br><br>You'll probably want to buy a macro and tele lens later on and it's a great to be able to use the lens for both cameras. Although, you'll most likely use your digital camera 90% of the time, but for those moments when you want to shoot on diapositives or just want cheap paper copies of a birthday party, you might still decide to use your film camera.<br><br>"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."
Posted by: cherry

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 10:02 AM

I have the Olympus Camedia<br><br>Its a good camera for "snap-shots" and what have you. I have even used it for a few art/design projects. if you are interested let me know and I can send you a few images.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 10:03 AM

I think if you want to do photography as a hobby on the side or just get more out of your camera then you could with a P&S the Digital Rebel is a great camera to get. But if you want to be able to just carry a camera in your pocket and take a few snapshots a P&S is the way to go.<br><br>Here are some advantages of the Digital Rebel (and any SLR)<br><br>- Optical viewfinder, you get what you see.<br>- Interchangeable lenses, you could have 1 or 50.<br>- Noise, or lack of it. Much better then P&S here.<br>- Dynamic range, you will be less likely to blow out highlights with a D-SLR.<br>- AF speed, much faster. <br>- Manual focusing, you can actually do it on an SLR. <br>- Overall more flexibility with flashes and other accessories<br><br>Downsides of the Rebel:<br>- Images will require post processing to get the most out of them. not nearly as much done in camera.<br>- Large image files, at 6MP RAW you can get pretty big files (for CF card storage at least)<br>- Big, not nearly as portable as a P&S camera.<br>- Limited features compared to other D-SLRs. You can't choose the AF mode (for still or action AF), and you can't choose the metering mode (only Matrix). But this is only if you need those things.<br>-Expensive, obviously.<br><br>

(Dail-up users: big files) - 12/08/03 11:52 AM

Sorry I'm just getting to this, Giz. Been in meetings all day.<br>Here's a few that I use as DT pix, so they've been res'd down to 72 DPI, but you'll get an idea of the image/color capabilities of the Cannon.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice... after looking at some of these photos from 4MP cameras, I'm wondering if I even need a 5MP camera, let alone the 6.3MP Canon Rebel... ugh, so much to consider!<br><br>The largest photo I can see myself printing from the camera is 8x10, so I'm not really sure if I need the full 5MP.<br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 12:23 PM

For 8x10, a 4MP is just fine.<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 12:24 PM

I think you should go for the dual 7.5MP. You know you want it. It'll get you chicks. <br><br>And kittens, and turtles and... <br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 12:55 PM

There's a big difference with image quality between D-SLR and P&S even when you don't consider the MP's. Noise is a huge issue, and the ability to have a shallow DOF with an SLR is important for portraits. Here's an example of shallow DOF (area in focus):<br><br>This isn't mine, but i forgot where i got it from. <br><br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 12:56 PM

Here's another example i found of shallow DOF, taken with a telephoto lens. (not mine)<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 01:12 PM

I have a 3.2mp model, and I can print 8x10s with no problem...<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: (Dail-up users: big files) - 12/08/03 01:43 PM

Steve that table looks familiar.........Thai food?<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 01:55 PM

You can get pretty good depth of field with some non-SLR digicams as long as they have manual aperture or aperture-priority settings. See my pics above - the lamppost and the flower.<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 02:02 PM

Hey Giz when you start shoping for prices look at B&H Photo. They have very good prices and an outstanding reputation. Allot of the mail order houses will rip you off with shipping charges or other hidden fees, so be carefull when you shop. Like I said B&H has a great rep and won't jack you around on the price. Here is some of my work. 500 pixels longest side @ 72ppi<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>If you look at the last one you will see very little noise for a night shot. Thats one of the things you get with a more expensive camera is noise reduction in low light. My Nikon does a nice job with the noise.<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 02:02 PM

If you need another site with in depth reviews try:<br><br>http://www.dcresource.com/<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 02:07 PM

Right now I am waiting on a 20"X30" to come back from the lab. That will be from a 6 Mpixel camera.<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 02:26 PM

Well that's ok, it's not great as far as shallow DOF in the lamp shot. As for the flower photo, macro shots will always have shallow DOF, and on a SLR that same shot would have razor thin DOF without stopping down quite a bit.<br><br>This is an example of the bokeh (background blur) at F4 60mm:<br><br><br><br>It would have been better had it been at F2.8. <br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 02:43 PM

If you love your EOS and can swing the money, I'd go for it. I would have done that myself, but couldn't afford it at the time. I chose the HP Photosmart 850 soley for the 8x optical zoom. That's pretty amazing for a consumer-level digital cam. However, I don't think I'd recommend it. It's built in flash is fixed, so you can't bounce the flash. When you use the flash indoors, it really blasts your subject head on. Also, it is sloooooow in getting ready for a photo. This is not one for you if you want to catch a moment at just the right moment. There are lots of new cameras with really short response times now, I think I'd go for one of those if I were starting over. I'd also like manual focus, but you'd have all of the things on my wish list if you went for the EOS—plus you'd have your existing lenses ready to go.<br><br>

Re: (Dail-up users: big files) - 12/08/03 03:13 PM

Nope. Little Peruvian place in Brooklyn — right under my window. Yum.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 07:13 PM

Wow nice eyes, Alex.<br><br>

Re: (Dail-up users: big files) - 12/08/03 08:08 PM

sounds good!<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 08:42 PM

Care for a closer look? <br><br><br><br>Or maby a bit closer still? <br><br><br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/08/03 11:02 PM

I've come to the conclusion that (after a day of looking at dozens and dozens of models of cameras) that I wish Camera manufacturers would take the Apple approach and just make a "Good, Better, Best" lineup - there's just too damn many to compare.<br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/09/03 12:08 AM

Good idea. Here's another. Go to one of the big Circuit City type stores and look at them. Figure 4 MP for what you want, a major camera brand (Canon, Olympus etc.) and see how they feel in your hands. Pick one that feels confortable to you. There's hardly a dimes worth of difference between them.<br><br>drjohn's photos

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/09/03 06:28 AM

I did a lot of reading late last night, and I'm really liking the look of the Canon G5 (5mp) - due to price and the plethora of options available on it. It lists for $699 but I've found it on a number of sites for $579 and even less. I wish I knew someone with one so I could see some pics.<br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!
Posted by: iRock

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/09/03 07:06 AM

Each review here has about 6 to 8 pages. If you look you may find some pictures taken with the actual camera. I don't have time to look, off to work. Mine did when I looked it up before buying. Check the pull down for all pages of the review. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/g5.html<br><br>

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/09/03 10:07 AM

Good point, here's the link to the Dpreview samples of the G5:<br><br>http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canong5_samples/<br><br>
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Attn: Digital Photographers, what camera? - 12/09/03 10:18 AM

I am so glad I didn't have this thread to look at when I was looking at digital cameras! I'm so confused already! Good luck Giz -- either way, you will have a camera to hold all your happy moments. I do like my Nikon Coolpix though -- 3.2 megapixels and 3x optical zoom.<br><br>Here's a pic (also I wanted to share my funny Thanksgiving figurine)<br><br><br><br>