Picture/Painting Lighting Question

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 02:09 PM

I have done some rearranging in my living room and need to figure out the best solution to light three large portraits. I have the traditional corded lights but I would have to either wire them into the walls behind the paintings or use ugly cord covers. Track lighting will not work due to my decor.<br><br>Any suggestions that may work? I looked into battery lights but they do not seem to last too long.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 02:14 PM

Looks like your only choice is whale oil lamps.<br><br>drjohn's photos
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 02:16 PM

Short of installing recessed lighting in the ceiling (which I assume you don't want to do), you've eliminated everything except floor/desk-standing lighting ... or maybe glowsticks ;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 02:18 PM

What kind of floor lighting is there? Any kind that can be hidden?<br><br>Can't use whale oil...cats will eat it...burnt cats...bad.....<br><br>

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 02:22 PM

Not floor lighting - floor-STANDING lighting =)<br><br>I was thinking of floor lamps and the like - I can't imagine anything like that that can be hidden, unfortunately ...<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 02:32 PM

If it was me I'd go with track lighting. What's decor? <br><br>My next project is to paint all my ceilings black so that I'll never have to paint them again. Really. The fireplace turns them black, candles turn them black, cooking turns them black, so I'm just gonna let them have their own way. I'll never have to paint another ceiling again as long as I live. I'll just vacuum them once in a while. <br><br>
Posted by: MaxMacDonald

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 02:57 PM

Hope you're kidding, Donna. I once lived with a psycho room-mate, many years ago now, who painted the living room flat black. Every single surface. It sucked all the light out of the room and it was the most oppressive decor you could imagine. A once-decent-sized room shrank into a dusty little box. Kind of like a special greenhouse for despair. Even a black ceiling, hanging over your head like a death knell, is too much.<br><br>For goodness sakes, please reconsider. People have committed suicide over less. (;->))<br><br>max<br><br> Portlands (6.6 Mb)

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 03:02 PM

I was just looking around at the track lighting and I may be able to use a small track but it would have to be about 15 feet away. I can not use any closer due to my head would hit it when I walk under it.<br><br>

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 03:10 PM

I have white walls, floors and window blinds and lots of windows, including 2 sky lights and a triple picture window that covers over 50% of the living room wall. I've taken down all the curtains and drapes. <br><br>If it's too dark, I may put a large rectangle of mirror tiles in the center of the living room ceiling. It's really going to look cool. I'll post pictures. <br><br>

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 03:12 PM

That's a 10-foot ceiling, right? Just how tall are you that you'd run into a 5" light fixture hanging from the ceiling? ;-)<br><br>Or, you could try this one and literally bend it to your iron will ... so that it won't get in the way of your head ...<br><br>Just a couple ideas =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 03:20 PM

I was just testing my theory of black ceilings with white walls... I may have to reconsider... <br><br>Track lighting is really nice because you can direct it anywhere you need it. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 03:32 PM

I think I figured it out (I have a small home/low ceilings...built in 1949). I can use a set of old plate racks I have sitting around in the garage now:<br><br><br><br>I can mount them on the opposite wall over my drapes (hides the cord) and use track lighting mounted upright on them. I just got done playing around with a 50w flood light and I think 4-5 of them will work.<br><br>

Re: Picture/Painting Lighting Question - 12/07/03 03:43 PM

That would look nice. <br><br>