Russian right-to-left?

Posted by: yoyo52

Russian right-to-left? - 06/20/02 09:02 AM

The MM main page says that Opera will be releasing browsers for right-to-left languages, including Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian. Russian?? Last I looked, Russian reads left-to-right. The alphabet isn't Roman, to be sure.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/20/02 03:04 PM

The alphabet is cyrillic, but of course Russian reads left-to-right.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/20/02 06:43 PM

Right, it reads left to right just like English. Hard language to get a hang of. I can read some words because I learned the Cyrillic alphabet, but much beyond that I am at a loss. Pronunciation is also very important and has many, many nuances hard for a Westerner to pick up. <br><br>Spacibo<br><br>

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/20/02 07:47 PM

I studied Russian for a year in college, when I was a math major and thought I should learn Russian and German to be up in the field. Now almost 30 years later all I remember is the alphabet and a very little vocab. I did learn some German later, and still can read it a bit, though.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/21/02 03:55 AM

Dann wirst Du wohl verstehen dass, USA keine Chance hat heute gegen Deutschland im World Cup! Hehe.<br><br>

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/21/02 07:05 AM

Ja, aber man hoffen kann.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/21/02 06:06 PM

The US played a good game, but once the Germans had the goal their defense is what made the game for the German team. I don't think Germany will make it to the final match though, I'd guess either Spain or Brazil will take it in the end.<br><br>

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/21/02 09:25 PM

Agreed. I thought the US played a terrific game. Oh well!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/22/02 05:26 AM

Well another upset today. Spain is out, South Korea advances. Oh my! I think the Germans are going to lose here pretty soon to someone.<br><br>

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/22/02 01:03 PM

I have liked the Korean team from their first game in this World Cup. But I have to say that the refs robbed Spain this time. The early goal that was called back because of a foul I'll concede, even though I know the ref's call there was also controversial. But the so-called out of bounds ball that made the second Spanish goal not count was clearly not out of bounds. If I were Spanish I'd be going ar ound sayin We was robbed!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Krasni

Soccer - 06/22/02 03:51 PM

Unfortunately, the refs did what they always do: support the home team.<br><br>

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/22/02 04:01 PM

I don't really watch the games, not really into team sports of any kind, so I can't comment on the game. Whatever I have posted about the World Cup comes from what people have told me and just the general things you hear and read. I did watch about the last 10 minutes of the USA-Germany match, but that's it. I really don't care who wins in the end. Now give me a good sailboat race around the world, or a downhill ski race, then you have my interest.<br><br>

Re: Soccer - 06/22/02 09:54 PM

Well, it did seem that Spain was playing 11-on-14 a lot of the time <br><br>Predictions for the final? I know Brasil had a difficult time with Turkey in the first round, but I think Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, and company will get in. And even with referee help, I have a feeling Korea doesn't stand a chance agains Germany. So I'm predicting Brasil-Deutschland in the final. Oops, I just remembered that Ronaldinho was red-carded last game. I guess he won't be in the Tukey game. Still, I think Brasil will win against Turkey. And I'm hoping against Germany, too <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/22/02 11:22 PM

Sailing/yachting is a team sport, no?<br><br>Or did you mean *solo* sailboat race around the world?<br><br>Or maybe I'm mixing my terminology - is there a difference between sailboating and yachting?<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>

Re: Russian right-to-left? - 06/23/02 07:02 AM

Single handed around the world sailing was what I was talking about. But, yes many sailboat races are consist of teams. That is perhaps the one team sport I like.<br><br>Just not big one teams though, more interested on what the individual can do pitted against another.<br><br>

Re: Soccer - 06/26/02 08:46 PM

It wasn't rocket science, but my prediction came to pass--Germany-Brazil in the final. My wife got me a Brasil jersey for father's day too <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"