Can I use non-Mac stuff for

Posted by: skuldugary

Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 07:22 AM

going wireless on my G3? I want to go wireless and looking at the whole Airport and Airport Extream makes my wallet faint.<br><br>My friend just got an entire Linsys setup for his Dell for about 100 bucks. That included card, hub, everything.<br><br>I believe I read that an Airport card will work with any 802.11 hub, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly. Also, will any wireless card fit my G3, or has Apple seen to it that I have no other choice than to use their Airport card. <br><br>Thanks for all the help.<br><br>The thread killer
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 08:13 AM

I think that as long as the standard is the same, Airport cards will work with Linksys Routers, and vice versa...<br><br>I could be wrong, though.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 08:25 AM

i have the linksys 4 port wireless router at home. it works fine with airport equipped macs.<br><br>remember linksys gives no help to mac users<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 08:36 AM

the router can be any standard WiFi, but I recommend to buy an Airport card for your pb. It's much safer and it's cheap too. I think the other way would be to use your PC type 2 slot, but I doubt it's gonna be cheaper to get a non-Apple branded one.<br><br>[color:green]O, beware, my lord of jealousy; <br>It is the green-ey'd monster which doth mock <br>The meat it feeds on.</font color=green>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 08:54 AM

both my computers have airport cards.<br>I just bought a Netgear MR814 wireless router form Buy.com for 54 bucks and after sending in the $20 rebate, it comes to $34.<br>It works fine with the iMac an iBook and my cable<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: Trog

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 09:14 AM

Wow, good deal. Too bad its only for 802.11b<br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 09:33 AM

yeah you're right, just the b, but it's fine for my home Network.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 09:38 AM

What's wrong with 802.11? I have a cable modem. Won't that be enough to handle the speed of the cable connection?<br><br>The thread killer

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 09:40 AM

802.11g = 54Mbs<br>802.11b = 11Mbs<br><br>Nothing wrong with b just less bandwidth. I'd like to get one for here at work (multiple macs), so g would be better.<br><br>Still, its a good deal and I may get it anyway. Nice tip Lori <br><br> -oh yeah, that would be fine for a cable connection. I guess the theoretical bandwidth in bytes would be something like 1.4Megabytes/second. Of course, it won't be that high, but neither will your cable connection<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 12/02/03 12:42 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:21 AM

It's not airport branding but it will work in your Type II slot.<br><br><br>and of course there's the wireless router: depending on available bandwidth of course, you could sit in your neighbor's backyard surfing away.<br><br><br>If you have a PC in the bunch, this would come in handy:<br><br><br>I have a network of 5 (two macs and three PC's) all powered by the 802.11b standard and believe me everyone's jammin' but if you have cable you won't feel a thing.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:21 AM

Okay, thanks for clearling that up. Would the Airport 'Extreme' card be better than the, um, non-Extreme card?<br><br>The thread killer

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:38 AM

There is no reason to get the 802.11g card (Extreme) unless you will be using it with an 802.11g router. You won't see any difference in speed with just the 'extreme' card. You'll just see the 'extreme' difference in price <br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:38 AM

I'm a little confused (constantly) about the naming used.<br>I zipped over to Buy.com and saw the Netgear you wrote about. I see the terms 'Wireless Access Point' and 'Wireless Router'.<br><br>I have a standard USB four port router. To set up a wireless system do I need a wireless hub, or router, or access point?<br><br>Thanks for the help<br><br><br>The thread killer
Posted by: squareman

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:39 AM

"Would the Airport 'Extreme' card be better than the, um, non-Extreme card?"<br><br>It's a difference between b and g again (hey, Bee Gees!—I digress). <br><br>Thanks for the tip from me too, Lori. I have a 17" PB that should be arriving today and was thinking that I'd be using my 50' ethernet cable to use it around the house until I saw your find.<br><br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:40 AM

Oh, now I see. It's because of the 'G'. Thanks.<br><br>The thread killer
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:48 AM

RE: Mixing Airport Extreme and Airport (regular).<br><br>At home I have an Airport Extreme Base Station, G4 Desktop w/Airport (non Extreme) card, and an iBookG4 w/Airport Extreme Card.<br><br>If you mix different types of Airport cards with an Airport Extreme base station, the base station will default to 11Mbs (non-Extreme mode). <br><br>So you lose the benefit of Extreme if you have even just one non-extreme Airport Card present on the network.<br><br>===================<br>[color:blue]"I can't believe you're wearing THAT avatar to the message boards! </font color=blue><br>S3V3N<br>Washington, DC USA

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:49 AM

Fair question. If your cable company was serving up "extreme" service then yes I would go for it. Or if the population on your network was getting crowded then yes I would consider 802.11g.<br><br>If you're just cutting your teeth on wireless networking for a home network you might consider the "extreme" package for Christmas 2004 and in the meantime you will be enjoying the 802.11b experience.<br><br>Of course now, I went from a dial-up to cable to wireless all within a few months and I can honestly say I can't tell the difference between wireless surfing and cable direct, but I definitely fly higher now thanks to cable.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:50 AM

If you want to do wireless with all your computers you need a router, not a hub. I don't know the difference, but I heard reboot say that.<br>The cable from the wall goes to the cable modem, then to the wireless router.<br>My two computers have Airport cards and I can use them anywhere in the house wirelessly connected to the Net.<br>They are using the internet connection and the network that is set up by the Netgear router.<br>So I can also browse or mount each others hard drive anywhere in the house through the same Netgear network.<br>I also just found out that I can print to the Epson Photo 820, which is connected to my iMac from my ibook...cool<br><br>I really don't know much about this stuff, but the Netgear also has 4 ethernet thingys on the back, that you can add computers to that don't have a wireless card (I am guessing)<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:56 AM

Read this--->linky<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:56 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I can't tell the difference between wireless surfing and cable direct<p><hr></blockquote><p>That's because the 11MBps is still faster than your Internet connection for one computer. Where the advantage of g would come in is if you had multiple computers using that wireless bandwidth at the same time or if you needed to transfer lots of files back and forth between your computers—then you'd see the speed difference.<br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 10:58 AM

oHHHHHHHH, now my mouth is watering. It sounds so cool.<br><br>If I have my router hooked up to my wireless router, can I use my printer and scanner wireless-ly? (am I reinventing english?) Or would I need something else too?<br><br>I know what I'm doing Friday. <br><br>The thread killer

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:00 AM

Nutty is this the one you have?<br><br>I'm considering getting that one, just a little worried about configuration for the Mac.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:13 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>remember linksys gives no help to mac users<p><hr></blockquote><p>I second that. And that's why I went with the D-Link. That beautiful Mac finder logo right on the box. If for no other reason I wanted to support their support of the Mac OS. And it was a good thing to. I couldn't get the WEP to work and I called their phone support for help. Linksys (I believe owned by CISCO now) would give me the old cable company line we don't support Mac. <br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:25 AM

I'm looking at the Linksys WPC11 wireless PC card at buy.com (who's soon to make some money off of me).<br>Is that the same card you are saying will fit my iBook G3?<br><br>The thread killer

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:31 AM

With all this wireless talk and my PB about to arrive, I'm curious about those hot-spot sniffer devices, the ones that alert you if they detect hotspots as you go around town so you don't have to waste laptop batteries testing for them. Anyone got one to recommend?<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:33 AM

All of the configuration is web-browser based. There is no Windows software that required. In fact, it doesn't come with any software at all. I had a Linksys cable/dsl router. If worked just fine.<br><br>Linksys products are for all platforms - while Linksys support may not give you Mac specific help, they will help with router configuration.<br><br>The only reason I didn't buy a Linksys router is because the Apple one had the USB Rendezvous printer port.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:37 AM

I use Macstumbler. I know you want one that works by itself, but if you turn the screen dark on your laptop you don't use too much of the battery. Macstumbler (and there are others just as good) speaks the info. So you could have it on the seat and all of a sudden you hear it say found access point. In a fairly heavily populated area or an affluent area you probably won't go more than block without finding an open access point. <br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:55 AM

Thanks Hayesk, I think I'm going to get it.<br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:00 PM

Yeah, take it from me who knows noting about all this stuff and gets stressed thinking about having to hook stuff it...it was easy.<br>I was shocked myself to see it work so quickly by just typing my ISP info in the browser configuring page from Netgear.<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:03 PM

Something to remember, the iBook Doesn't have a PC card slot that you will need for a WIFI card other then Airport if i remember correctly. If that's true then the best option is an Airport card and a 3rd party wireless router from someone like D-link.<br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:09 PM

No. I am sorry I didn't know you had the iBook. The iBook doesn't have a PCMCIA slot. Sorry.<br><br>Your only option is Airport.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:10 PM

Oh, and you do want a router not a hub. A router will take the one IP address that your ISP gives you and give each computer an individual IP address so more then one can be online at the same time. And because of the way this works it similar to a hardware firewall. <br><br>Also remember that Airport and Airport Extreme use different slots (internal PC card, Mini PCI) so you have to get the one your computer was made for (i think).<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:20 PM

Yeah, it is easy. I hope all of you with wireless, remember to secure it once you get it working. Most open access points are from people who are thrilled to get it working, and think they have nothing more to configure. Make sure you do the following:<br><br>- Turn on 128 bit WEP<br>- Configure it to be a "closed" network. The network name will not suddenly appear in the airport menu on your Mac (or anyone else driving by). You have to know the name and manually enter it to connect<br>- If your router supports it, only allow access from your own MAC addresses (this time, I mean MAC in all caps )<br>- use non-standard IPs. Linksys gives out IPs 192.168.1.1xx - make it give out 192.168.2.1xx (if you can, I forget) or 192.168.1.20x for example.<br><br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:22 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info. If I'm lucky, there's a lookout point at the top of the hill where I live with a view of the bay and SF and if there's a bunch of new home directly below it... crossing my fingers for a beautiful "field" office. <br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:24 PM

Lori, how many ethernet "out" ports does yours have? I see that the 802.11g one has four. I would like to have my desktop wired and just have the wireless for the laptops.<br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:30 PM

right, my ibook doesn't have any PCMCIA slots, and you have to use the correct airport card for the computer. Older macs only use airport and the newest Macs only can use the Extreme card.<br>both my iMac and iBook slots could only fit the Airport card and not the Extreme. The slot size is different<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:33 PM

mine has 4 ethernet connection slots.<br>So I guess that means I can have 4 wired connections and how many ever wireless.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:51 PM

Thanks to Green and you both for that clarification. <br>I'm looking at a lot of Airport cards being sold on eBay. Hey, I have to pinch my pennies since most of my money is going towards Christmas gifts.<br><br>I'm stoked about going wireless. I'll have my coffee maker next to the bed, set with the timer. In the morning, I'll have a wireless laptop and a cup of coffee greet me without ever rolling out of bed. <br><br>The thread killer
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 12:52 PM

Yeah, I'D sure feel safe with a vat of boiling hot liquid right near my head as I sleep.<br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 01:01 PM

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! And in earthquake country too.<br><br>By the way, is a AirMac card the exact same as a Airport card?<br><br>The thread killer

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 01:09 PM

Ahhh, that's nice. Hmmm... now I need to determine whether the g is worth the price.<br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 01:28 PM

I've never heard of that. Maybe someone forgot the real name? <br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 01:58 PM

I just discovered that AirMac is the Japanese version of the Airport card. It's the same card, just a different label. If you go to the Japanese Apple web site and type in Airmac, it will bring up the card.<br><br>The thread killer

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 04:38 PM

Yes! Definitely near a park. Or at least a nice bench.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 06:19 PM

One more wrinkle to all this. Is there a USB adapter for wireless connection for a Mac running OS 9? A friend of mine has an old iMac (I think Rev C, but am not sure), so it isn't AirPort capable, but she'd like to get a wireless router so she can surf on her iMac while her husband surfs on his Windows box (he needs a PCI card or a USB adapter for his machine, but I know they're available). So, anything out there for her?<br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 06:45 PM

Hmmm... that's a good question, but I've never seen one. Since there are many modems (i.e. cable, DSL) that can use USB (instead of RJ-45), there should be one.<br><br>Oh Looooooorriiiiii.... <br><br>

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 07:19 PM

Here's a 802.11g one from D-link.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 07:24 PM

That one works with OS X, but it says nothing about OS 9, greenme. I guess she could make do with one of those routers that allows some ethernet connections as well as wireless ones--like the one Lori has.<br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 09:15 PM

She'll need a bridge. Use the Wireless Ethernet Bridge to connect game consoles, set-top boxes, or computers into your wireless network to share your high-speed network connection.<br><br>It's completely driver-free, so it works on any platform and under any operating system! Since there are no drivers to load, setup is a snap – just plug it into your device and configure the network settings through your web browser.<br><br><br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Can I use non-Mac stuff for - 12/02/03 11:05 PM

<br>I'm getting this Belkin ADSL Modem with built-in 54G Wireless Router. Do you have any experience with it?<br><br>[color:green]O, beware, my lord of jealousy; <br>It is the green-ey'd monster which doth mock <br>The meat it feeds on.</font color=green>