busier than hell

Posted by: johnengler

busier than hell - 06/18/02 10:42 PM

I'm finding that I'm busier and busier at work, and it doesn't look like it'll let up. <br><br>it seems to stem from an increase in workload, and a decrease, or at least non-increase, in manpower to do the workload. <br><br>I don't think it's a seasonal thing, as much as it's a cost savings thing on the boss's part, but it's really kicking my butt. I'm getting home at like 7, tired as hell, and not really interested in doing anything...<br><br>is anyone else seeing this sort of thing as a result of the screwy economy we're in, or am I just seemingly stuck with a crappy employer (I suspect the latter).<br><br>thanks for your thoughts on this.<br><br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: busier than hell - 06/18/02 10:45 PM

I'd blame it on a combination of employer and economic climate. Some employers will use any excuse to screw more work out of their employees, and there's nothing like an economic downturn to make an excuse.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Krasni

Re: busier than hell - 06/19/02 12:38 AM

I've been feeling the same sensation for 18 years, all my lavorative life.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: busier than hell - 06/19/02 03:36 AM

What type of work do you do John?<br><br>Granted, it sucks working all that and feeling dead tired when you get home....but, on the fip side, it sure is better than saying "Geez..no work today, again. I think they will shut us down". <br><br>Just try to look on the bright side if possible. And enjoy your days off!<br><br>
Posted by: six_of_one

Lavorative? - 06/19/02 06:26 AM

I tried looking that up and couldn't find it - what does it mean?<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>

Re: Lavorative? - 06/19/02 08:07 AM

I think it means something like working (Italian for labor=lavoro; lavorativo=working).<br><br>One nice thing about knowing any Romance language is that you can usually figure out what's being said in another Romance langauge. I once had a nice conversation with some Brazilians, who spoke no Spanish while I spoke no Portuguese <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Lavorative? - 06/19/02 10:43 AM

I see I've invented another word. It's a pity it doesn't exists, sounds like English.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Lavorative? - 06/19/02 11:51 AM

I like it! Look... if the English langauge can adopt a word like "xerography" as part of the everyday language, why not "lavorative"? And the meaning is?... overworked? under appreciated? or both? <br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: busier than hell - 06/19/02 12:36 PM

Who isn't in that boat? <br><br>I seem to have noticed that the line which determines whether or not you are dog tired is if you give your all at work. If you invest your all for 8-10 hours, of course you'll be dead, and you rarely recover, because you never stop working. It can be exacerbated by a poor employer or boss, but it seems to me that people who walk through the day are always ready for the next one because they're not invested on an emotional or pride or ethic level.<br><br>I don't think I've felt truly rested in around 5 months...I hate it, but I'd probably hate it more if I shut it down for a week or two.<br><br>The only thing that saves my sanity is going home and spending quality time with the Mrs. and the pups and the kittens. Work just sort of drips away when you've a sleeping puppy or kitten curled up on you.<br><br>...that and profit sharing. <br><br>
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Lavorative? - 06/19/02 04:55 PM

Lavorative - adj. 1. clean, sparkling 2. minty-fresh, as in breath. From modern english: "Lavoris", a popular mouthwash of the 1960's and 70's. Use: "My but aren't you looking lavorative today!"; "Bernie polished his marbles to a lavorative sheen"; "Mile's gaseous emissions were surprisingly lavorative."<br><br>There's another definition - something boring to do with work - but this one is so much more interesting ...<br><br>;-D<br><br>***matt<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Lavorative? - 06/19/02 07:03 PM

I like it! But I believe the context which Krasni used it in was to demonstrate an overabundant workload.<br><br>The "Lavoris" reference was good!!! <br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: Lavorative? - 06/19/02 08:14 PM

LOL<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: margadagio

Re: busier than hell - 06/20/02 02:16 AM

You might as well join the club. I'm a medical lab tech and I have seen at least a 30% - 40% increase of my workload in the last year with no increase in staff. Interestingly the biggest increases have been in tests related to heart and high blood pressure conditions. I started taking high blood pressure medication myself just recently and the cause is most likely due to stress. It's a vicious circle, one in which I think cheap employers ignore at their own peril! <br><br><br><br>