So long, and thanks for all the...

Posted by: Alex

So long, and thanks for all the... - 05/31/01 09:28 PM

Well, about 2 hours ago I found out that I don't have a job to come back to next week. Not what you expect on a Friday afternoon... guess web design is a bit of a volatile market, huh?!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 05/31/01 09:35 PM

wow..that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I'm sure something better will come along!<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 05/31/01 09:57 PM

Sorry to hear that mate. Related to the One Tel collapse?<br>Anyhow it is one way to turn the weekend into shyte<br>I am sure though that being young and talented that you will soon find work again.<br><br>..
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/01/01 02:03 AM

Sorry to hear that Alex. Not sure what your plans are, but if you want, send me your CV and I will send it out to the contacts I have.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/01/01 05:52 AM

Damn Alex... that really sucks.... I wish you the best, and please take Stan up on his offer....<br><br>Best of luck.<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/01/01 09:18 AM

That's just awful, Alex. Good luck finding a new job that's congenial, well-paying, and exactly what your heart desires.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/01/01 07:45 PM

Volatile indeed, but if you're talented, your efforts will be appreciated--both by your employer(s) and surfers alike. <br><br>Web designers may be in abundance right now, but good ones certainly are not. At least half the sites I visit daily are a testament to this.<br><br>Best of luck!<br><br>

Loyalty - 06/02/01 07:49 AM

No loyalty any more. Employers expect it from their employees, of course. Moan about the lack of it in the media every once in a while. During the eighties there was great hand-wringing over how Japanese companies got fanatical loyalty from their work force.<br><br>Overlooked, of course, was the fact that the companies gave benefits in return: great medical care, free, or nearly free housing and few layoffs, even when times were difficult. Well things have changed in Japan.<br><br>And things have changed here too. Employer loyalty just doesn't exist. People get pushed out the door with little or no notice. Sometimes they are even "encouraged" to resign so that termination pay doesn't have to be given.<br><br>But when times are better, and these vultures start to hire again, they'll wonder why turnover is so high, or why they can't hire the people they want at all.<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Loyalty - 06/02/01 08:00 PM

John,<br><br>I think it's all up to the employer. My new employer seems to be very loyal to his employees, and my wife's company boasts a less than 5% turn over rate.... <br><br>I really think it's all up to the employer... and whether or not they care more about money, or culture/environment (and then again, some of them have to care about the shareholders)....<br><br>john<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Loyalty - 06/03/01 07:17 AM

My only regular job was working in the audio visual department of a community college. I got involved with the union (against my better judgement) and found out a dirty little secret of the place: there was over a 40% turnover in staff per year. Those 40 percent tended to be the most competent, who were unhappy with the lack of advancement, low pay, and most of all, incredible level of day-to-day politicking.<br><br>I believed, and in the four years I spent there I believe I saw, that the turnover rate would slowly diminish as the competent people left and incompetent seat warmers managed to luck in. The slackers and incompetents, of course would not want to leave, in view of their limited ability to find better employment, so as the better people opted out, people of, um, limited skills and work ethic came to fill most of the seats.<br><br>I left years before budget cuts chopped many of these people away from their gravy trains, much to their surprise and dismay. No loyalty there, even to the boobs this particular institution seemed to prefer to hire.<br><br>(I must admit here that in any situation like this, there will always be some who make an effort; these poor folks do the majority of real work and tend to get chopped when the going gets tough regardless of ability.)<br><br>John<br><br>

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/11/01 06:34 AM

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts - I've managed to make it through the week having sent off about 30 job applications up and down the country (once I spent a few days updating my 8-years-out-of-date resume!) so we'll see what happens...<br><br>The situation was one of not getting new large clients fast enough, thus having to waste developer time on small jobs... plus a legal wrangle with a company we *used* to be associated with that meant we didn't get paid for two large jobs we had done. It meant 4 people leaving the company; 1 person going from full- to part-time; and of the 3 directors, 2 working for half pay and 1 for free until they get back on their feet. They were pretty heartbroken about this (it's a small company and we were a great team) and I wish them all the best, but I don't think I'll be back there on a permanent basis!<br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/11/01 01:27 PM

G'day<br><br>I spent sometime on the payroll of a few companies without too much joy...even joining a gov't dept. once smile <br><br>Anyway these days I'm on my own nomadic journey working for whoever needs my services. If you've got the talent, this may be a way to go...though the lure of the beach or the local isn't far behind...<br><br>Good luck on your search mate!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/11/01 10:47 PM

welcome aboard Bookrat..or as I like to call you, B'rat <br><br>

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/12/01 01:27 PM

Thanks for the warm welcom OSXAddict.<br><br>
Posted by: siletz

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/12/01 06:26 PM

Welcome rat2<br><br>

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/13/01 04:16 AM

Hey Hey Siletz. Good to see you around.<br><br>

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/25/01 09:49 PM

I was just reading this page due to a search I did on finding info on BUGA-UP and I thought of you and this thread since, well... it is in relatively close proximity to you, being<br> Newcastle .......for those more interested in the principles of BUGA-UP start here<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/26/01 05:23 PM

Thanks for the thought TreeBeard, although I don't know if Newcastle is quite the ghost town the article makes out!! Anyway, I am moving on... nearly a month after losing my job, I've secured a web development contract for 3 months in Brisbane - about 900km (give or take) north of Newcastle... so it's nice to know what I'm doing for the next few weeks at least. (Although it'll be difficult being apart from my wife for that long... some weekend visits will definitely be in order!!)<br><br>

Re: So long, and thanks for all the... - 06/26/01 07:50 PM

keep these things in mind.<br>that love fears no distance, however great.<br>that absence makes the heart grow fonder.<br>she is only a days drive away but.. drive to within 50 K of home and stay the night in a motel... so as to be fresh when you see her :)<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================