Mac Mini

Posted by: musicalmarv7

Mac Mini - 12/30/11 02:59 AM

In 2012 do you think the Mac Mini will be phased out or modified more?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mac Mini - 12/30/11 09:06 PM

I doubt they'll phase it out, and they'll always modify computers, right?

As it stands it's a low end MacBook Pro sans screen. Good deal. I'm getting one soon.

Re: Mac Mini - 12/31/11 04:12 AM

I have a chance to trade my MBA 11inch 64hd for a brand new mac mini.Would you go for that deal? thanks HAPPY NEW YEAR

Re: Mac Mini - 12/31/11 11:00 AM

Quote:
I have a chance to trade my MBA 11inch 64hd for a brand new mac mini.Would you go for that deal?
You're kind of comparing apples to oranges, one is a portable, the other isn't. I don't know how you use your MBA so I can't say, that is sort of a personal preference. For example, although it may work for you, I never would have bought an MBA as my main computer as it wouldn't suit my needs for a number of reasons.

If the MBA always sits in the same spot on a desk and you never use it in front of the TV etc or take it out of the house to use elsewhere you really don't need something portable.

You'll also need a monitor, keyboard and mouse with the Mini. The Mini can hold more RAM, the processor is faster, has a bigger HD although not an SSD, and has more ports.

But again it's not portable. Only you can judge if you need/want the portability.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Mac Mini - 01/01/12 05:24 AM

My Mini is definitely desk bound. I'm thinking that an iPad would satisfy my mobility needs while keeping my Mini as the main computer.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/02/12 03:11 AM

Yes my MBA sits on a desk all day.Going nowhere.It is to dangerous where I live to carry it to various wi fi spots here in the Philippines.That is my problem here. Thanks

Re: Mac Mini - 01/02/12 03:12 AM

Did you ever have any breakdown problems with your Mac Mini? thanks

Re: Mac Mini - 01/02/12 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Did you ever have any breakdown problems with your Mac Mini? thanks
Only one hard drive failure on my wife's second generation Intel based Mini. Other than that, both Minis have been very reliable.
Posted by: willcate

Re: Mac Mini - 01/07/12 12:50 PM

I just upgraded my everyday-desktop from a mid-2010 Mini (Core 2 Duo, 4GB) to a late-2011 Mini (Core i7, 8GB). The older one will now do media-server duties.

As you might guess, I love the Mac Mini. Small, quiet, fast enough for my needs. Never any problems.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/10/12 03:44 AM

I am thinking of buying a Mac Mini 2.3 model with 500Hd and 2 gigs of memory. I have the 11inch MBA now and I hate the screen size.Thanks for your input on this. marv

Re: Mac Mini - 01/10/12 04:51 PM

I am thinking of buying a Mac Mini 2.3 model with 500Hd and 2 gigs of memory. I have the 11inch MBA now and I hate the screen size.Thanks for your input on this. marv

Double that RAM.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/11/12 03:27 AM

Thanks I will do it at 4 gigs of ram.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/11/12 06:13 AM

Thanks I will do it at 4 gigs of ram.
Crucial has 4 gigs for $30 US, but 8 gigs is only $46 US. I'd do the 8 gigs.

You will be removing the two 1 gig chips that come with it and putting in two 4 gig chips.

It's really easy to do, the bottom plate pops right off. Don't buy it through Apple or whoever you get it from, go with Crucial. Apple wants $100 for 4 gigs, and $300 for 8 gigs, ridiculous.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/12/12 03:28 AM

I appreciate your knowledge about this thanks.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/21/12 04:09 AM

Sorry reboot about that. Crucial memory is not available here in the Philippines only Kingston I can buy here. marv
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mac Mini - 01/21/12 04:11 AM

Kingston is practically right up there with Crucial. Neck and neck.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/21/12 06:44 AM

Sorry reboot about that. Crucial memory is not available here in the Philippines only Kingston I can buy here. marv
Go for price, it's all the same basically. Crucial doesn't make the chips that go on the sticks, they get them from a subsidiary of theirs, Micron, neither does Kingston, and Kingston gets their chips from different manufacturers. Only a handful of manufacturers make the actual chips that go on the RAM sticks.

Re: Mac Mini - 01/21/12 08:09 AM

Yeah... but Kingston AND Crucial both have kickass logos. shocked

Re: Mac Mini - 01/21/12 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Yeah... but Kingston AND Crucial both have kickass logos. shocked
That is important. smirk

Re: Mac Mini - 01/22/12 03:33 AM

What is important to me if they both are compatible with the Mac Mini I own. Not really the logos involved. thanks

Re: Mac Mini - 01/22/12 04:09 AM

Pfft. That was a joke. Are you really that out of it?

Re: Mac Mini - 01/23/12 03:16 AM

Sometimes I take this crap to seriously.