Siri only for iPhone 4s?

Posted by: John Rougeux

Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/04/11 12:21 PM

Bummer...I thought the iPhone 4 would be able to use it too. But from what I can tell, it's part of the iPhone 4s. frown

For me, that's about the only thing the iphone 4s has over the 4. That and the camera.

and the dual processor.

yeah, that's it.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/04/11 12:27 PM

I think the voice recognition needs the newer processor. I'll probably get one for the new camera and that it's both GSM and CDMA -- so I can switch over to Verizon (or Sprint? -- Don't know much about Sprint) if I want to and still be able to use it in other countries (not that i travel overseas a ton, but it's really very handy when I do) ...

Gonna have to check-out Verizon family plans, too =D
Posted by: zwei

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/04/11 04:55 PM

It'll be interesting to see if the 4S has a gig of RAM too. That may have something to do with it as well.
Posted by: carp

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/04/11 09:48 PM

Yep

Seems to me that Siri is a ram or processor hog - I mean has to be.

Like John mention gotta be only for the 4S
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/05/11 11:37 PM

It's supposed to have better battery life too, so in spite of using more processor, the new battery and/or processor must be more efficient than in the 4.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/06/11 12:36 PM

John, are you Siri- us ?? wink

It downloads/uploads 2X faster too.. and this IS the same dual core chip in the iPad2- should be significantly faster. I think there's considerable improvement... no iPhone 5 with a quadcore A6 chip, but better for their holiday sales; they don't have to retool. grin
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/06/11 03:46 PM

Well, I don't want to upgrade because I use my iPad 2 90 times more than my iPhone. I was hoping that Siri would be available for the iPhone 4, but I guess not!

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/06/11 08:14 PM

Since I carry the iPad with me at work all day, I was thinking ghee if I could only make calls, I would ditch the phone laugh
Posted by: DLC

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/07/11 10:25 AM

Carp : Can't you do that via Skype ??

John, I understand and agree with your logic... but in my case I don't have an iPad. frown

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/07/11 11:47 PM

Carp : Can't you do that via Skype ??

I can from the office since it has wifi - but the building itself where I spend most of my time does not.
Posted by: dorisqiu

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/14/11 12:34 AM

I also want to know and wait for the answer

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/15/11 07:14 PM

I all ready answered .

The building is under construction and does not have wifi - my office is across the street and has wifi .

However I spend 95% of my time in the building thats under construction.
Posted by: Mike

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/16/11 04:45 AM

The iPhone 4S retains 512MB RAM as seen in the iPhone 4. I guess more RAM sucks out more battery life?
Posted by: zwei

Re: Siri only for iPhone 4s? - 10/16/11 09:47 AM

Yep. My guess now is that they wanted to start the system off with a slow steady stream of users hitting the new Siri servers. (as with any beta service) Throwing tens of millions of iPhone 4 users as well would have been a disaster. (4S users overloaded the servers all by themselves) If they bring it to the 4 it'll be after the beta period. I wouldn't bet on them doing it at all though.

Looks like "slow" is going to be hard to do for Apple going forward.