End of an era.

Posted by: steveg

End of an era. - 08/24/11 03:52 PM

Yikes!
Posted by: lanovami

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 04:07 PM

Has anyone defined a company as much as he did/does? And this is figuring in his long hiatus from the company. Jobs = Apple in so many people's eyes. Will be interesting to watch, even if he stays on as chairman, whatever that means. Hope he will be with us a lot longer in any capacity.
Posted by: Mike

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 04:07 PM

Bummer!
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 04:36 PM

Nobody will ever be able to give presentations like him. Starting right from that famous 1984 intro of the Macintosh at MacWorld.

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 04:45 PM

As long as I have liked Apple, I never bothered to watch even one presentation with Jobs. I had heard what stellar presentations he gave. I finally watched one a few years back (the only one I ever watched) and was surprised to find out what a high voice he had. I expected something more commanding and baritone. All that proves of course, is that he didn't need that to be a stellar presenter. Of course, it helped that he had stellar, carefully guarded products to debut.
Posted by: MrB

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 04:48 PM

He has had a profound effect on me. Used his computers back in '77

Dave
Posted by: MrB

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 04:49 PM

I presume this is due to health issues
Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
He has had a profound effect on me. Used his computers back in '77

Dave

He and, more to the point, his products have had a profound effect on my life, that's for sure.
Posted by: zwei

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 06:14 PM

What a career.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 08:53 PM

It's going to be interesting to see how history treats him. Nobody, in any industry, has had near the amount of effect on how we live as he has.
Posted by: carp

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 09:19 PM

Right Giz.

CNN is calling him the greatest American CEO ever . Even the countries top CEOs agree as well.

Now all eyes are on Tim Cook and he better not stub his toe - The first Keynote without Steve, better be a good one.

Re: End of an era. - 08/24/11 10:34 PM

"Looking back, there were a number of Apple products that came out in the Jobs-less era that theoretically should have been very good for the company, but were either poorly managed or not marketed well enough to gain ground. In these examples we can see how losing Jobs today bodes ill for Apple investors. Perhaps without Jobs telling us what we want before we want it, even the best, most revolutionary products will go unnoticed."

linkity

hey, this thread moved, no? bad thread!
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Carp

Now all eyes are on Tim Cook and he better not stub his toe - The first Keynote without Steve, better be a good one.

Phil gave a keynote without Steve
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 03:59 AM

Do you think Cook will surpass Jobs as the new CEO?

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 04:00 AM

Surpass in him in what manner?

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 04:08 AM

Steve Jobs: From dropout to visionary..

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/08/25/steve.jobs.profile/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

"Steve Jobs is one of the great innovators in the history of modern capitalism," New York Times columnist Joe Nocera told CNN's Piers Morgan Wednesday night. "His intuition has been phenomenal over the years."

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 04:35 AM

To me, his voice is a big part of his presentations. Yes, it's high pitched but, the biggest feature of the sound of his voice is how intelligent it sounds. He just sounds incredibly intelligent and I think this is a big part of what had people mesmerized.

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 10:02 AM

Probably my favorite keynote. There was one more that I really liked also where he introduced item after item. Saying "so, what's next" and kept introducing new items. I'll see if I can find that one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds5LnXF4E0Q&feature=related

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 01:53 PM

And again this morning I see another article about Jobs that looks like a eulogy; especially the titles. OK, the man's impact on industry and culture may be coming to a close, but can the eulogies wait until his actual time of passing? It's morbid and depressing.
Posted by: DLC

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 06:01 PM

I was watching Squawk Box on CNBC this AM and one commentator said that Steve Jobs was the Thomas Edison of our era.

Another commentator said he's even bigger than that... he's the Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Sam Walton, and Walt Disney all rolled into ONE !!

Pretty good heh ?? grin

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 06:06 PM

Everyone in the news thinks he has gone/retired/gonna fade away.
He may just be retiring from the stress of everyday working...
I remember when he had the first leave of absence... he said the time away gave him some time for reflection and deep visionary thinking (something like that...)
He may be just stepping back to a more remote form of oversight.

I mean, seriously, I don't think he can just turn off the RDF cold turkey.

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 06:42 PM

Some interesting quotes/posts...

Re: the future of Apple...
====

Greatest American inventor since Thomas Edison, who had a similar impact on culture and media: electric light bulb, recorded music, and motion pictures. His company is still around, too, one hundred thirty years later.

===

Remember that, for the most part, the people running Apple have been under Steve for a decade. Steve didn't just build a company. He built a team to run that company and, more importantly, a culture. That culture isn't going anywhere.

====

And from myself.. what about Walt Disney? It continues on long after Walts death.

Oh.. and one more thing...

(from a post I ran across)
I only wish Steve the best for helping to make this world a more unique, interesting, and fun place to live, and look forward to see him come on stage when he is 100 to unveil the "iSteve" "just one more thing" to save the planet. cool cool cool
Posted by: leicaman

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 06:55 PM

He's still at Apple. Just not so hands-on. I don't see big changes at Apple, but I do see a long-term shift of tone maybe? It could be good, it could be bad. But we've got some years of Jobs influence to benefit from. Let's all wish him well as he retired from active duty officially and moves into more of a elder statesman role.

Best wishes to his family and Apple.

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 07:01 PM

Wow.. even PCMag gets it right.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391796,00.asp
Posted by: carp

Re: End of an era. - 08/25/11 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Originally Posted By: Carp

Phil gave a keynote without Steve

Yah Phil is pretty good and the VP of software - have not seen Cook give a keynote ?
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 05:05 AM

His health is preventing him from staying on as the CEO of Apple.

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 08:24 AM

No kidding....
News flash.

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 06:08 PM

"Let's all wish him well as he retired from active duty officially and moves into more of a elder statesman role."

I hope this is the case, but I am a pessimist and a little on the morbid side by nature. I just hope that he's not gone in a few months.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 06:59 PM

If TMZ has it right, the recent photo does not look to good.

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 07:17 PM

I certainly hope he gets better and lives into his 80s or so. Yes, that photo does not look very good.

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 07:41 PM

Holy sh!t!
That's sends my heart plummeting. Amazing, life is twisted. A man who has so much to give... and yet criminals and fˆcktards the world over live to be ripe old fruits.

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 07:52 PM

Hmmm... TMZ interview had an unusual thought. How about if Wozniak gave the presentations. Might as well...
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: End of an era. - 08/26/11 08:27 PM

I would like to think that this photo is faked.
I would like to think that no one with any dignity or empathy or compassion would post such a photo, fake or not.
I would like to think that whomever took, or manipulated this photo, and the persons who published it, will suffer the same.
I would like to think that karma is real, and those that have made a positive contribution to this world will be rewarded, and those who tear it down will be punished.
But I know that is not how reality works.
I wish I had never clicked on that link, and I hope that TMZ, and all the parasites involved, burn.
Posted by: zwei

Re: End of an era. - 08/28/11 11:25 AM

It has been photoshopped. There was a post on reddit that discredited it.