Moving to iCloud, but wait . . .

Posted by: DLC

Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 09:58 AM

As this approaches, I've been doing some reading and apparently iWeb and Apple's Web hosting will likely disappear. So what does any one recommend among those Mac Friendly Web Hosts touted??

Squarespace.com
Weebly.com
Cloversites.com
Jimdo.com

I looked at all of them and Weebly is Free but I don't know how any perform, and which has the best template pages.

Suggestions ?? grin
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 10:25 AM

Good question. I have a site hosted on Mobile Me .Mac and I'm looking for a new host as well ...

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 10:51 AM

Sixer, I'm really disappointed they're abandoning this, I liked iWeb. Hopefully we can find something as easy. The Jimdo is $15 / month for the unlimited site. the Square site is $20...
I actually need more than the minimum.

Hopefully some experienced users will chime in. grin
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 11:40 AM

Hi David,
It's my understanding we can still use iWeb, just publish to your favorite host.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 01:40 PM

Network Solutions. $9.29 a month, 300G disk space, unlimited transfer, 1000 emails, 25 FTP accounts. If you register and host with them for a year they waive the $35 a year registration fee.

Also check on their $10 per year privatized registration to keep spammers from harvesting your WHOIS info.

Tech support you can call, and during daytime business hours I rarely get "Peggy." Many hosts have only online or email support, like Dreamhost, yuck.

I have been with NS for 10 years at least. My email has been down probably less than 5 times during that time, and not for long. Their spam filters are top notch. Up until about 4 ? years ago I would receive spam on a daily basis. I turned off one email address it got so bad. I rarely get any now though. It's been months since I've seen any, even on the address that used to get spammed on a daily basis. I just checked and the last spam was April 25th. They "only" give 1G online storage per email account, some hosts give more, but 1G is a lot. I always bring mine down to the computer and have it deleted in a month.

https://www.networksolutions.com/web-hosting/hosting-package-comparison.jsp

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 01:54 PM

So I can put a Public FOlder there for students to download materials AND have an 'iWeb" like web site to post my lecture videos on??

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 05:48 PM

Little Sister and I use MobileMe, solely for the purpose of pushing large and critical work files back and forth. Neither one of us is remotely interested in clouds for posting videos of her cats stalking her or sharing pictures of my dogs stalking her cats. We just can't get excited about synching calenders, email and god knows what else all over the device ridden world.

I'm looking at DropBox. We just don't need (or want) the steekin' bells and whistles.

Ideas?

Whoa! I'm sorry David. It's been a looooong time since I've pulled a hijack. Apologies.

smile
LL
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

Little Sister and I use MobileMe, solely for the purpose of pushing large and critical work files back and forth. Neither one of us is remotely interested in clouds for posting videos of her cats stalking her or sharing pictures of my dogs stalking her cats. We just can't get excited about synching calenders, email and god knows what else all over the device ridden world.

I'm looking at DropBox. We just don't need (or want) the steekin' bells and whistles.

Ideas?

Whoa! I'm sorry David. It's been a looooong time since I've pulled a hijack. Apologies.

smile
LL

DropBox is excellent and you can control who has access to what. My choir director uses it to post scores and sound files so that we can rehearse at home when we need to.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 06:26 PM

Not a hijack, we're all looking for the best alternatives.
I've been using DropBox for the last 3 months and loving it, but I will give iCloud a chance once it's up and running.

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
I've been using DropBox for the last 3 months and loving it, but I will give iCloud a chance once it's up and running.
DropBox is not a web site host - just for file sharing as far as I can tell, which it does very well. I'll be giving iCloud a spin as well. We really don't know the extent of the features that iCloud will offer as yet. If it is simply file sharing/get your files anywhere-anytime from any device, then it will be a winnah!

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
DropBox is not a web site host - just for file sharing as far as I can tell, which it does very well. I'll be giving iCloud a spin as well. We really don't know the extent of the features that iCloud will offer as yet. If it is simply file sharing/get your files anywhere-anytime from any device, then it will be a winnah!

Agreed, it was not a hijack, Lea. I read about DropBox too, but from what I can tell Dropbox and iCloud will not host a website... they're just for sharing data (docs, photos, videos, etc.) which means that iCloud may be slicker, but will be functionally less than MobileMe. frown

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Originally Posted By: MacBozo

Agreed, it was not a hijack, Lea. I read about DropBox too, but from what I can tell Dropbox and iCloud will not host a website... they're just for sharing data (docs, photos, videos, etc.) which means that iCloud may be slicker, but will be functionally less than MobileMe. frown

I've seen several recommendations for BlueHost

Also got an invite discount coupon from MacTech for HostGator

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/11/11 07:56 PM

So I can put a Public FOlder there for students to download materials AND have an 'iWeb" like web site to post my lecture videos on??

Thanks in advance.

It all depends what type of files, and how you want them to access them. Like mentioned DropBox might be a good way to share files if they're just text and smaller type docs. You'd still need a web host to host the website though.

If you don't want to use DropBox and only want them to download from specific doc links on your website it's a snap. If you want them to be able to browse a folder that's different.

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/12/11 10:47 AM

Those were my conclusions too Reboot. I want one vendor that does it all... like MobileMe did.

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/12/11 04:45 PM

How much disk space do you need, what size are the files you want the students to access?

Do you want them to view a whole folder of files or are you going to give them links for only certain files?

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/12/11 05:47 PM

I think 10-15 GB would be plenty...

Well in MM there were many folders in my iDisk, but outsiders could only see the Public one... something like that.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/13/11 09:50 AM

This is one of the reasons I'm not already in love with iCloud. I don't use iWork a whole lot, so there's no use in iCloud for me in the backup/storage arena. To me, the public file sharing was the one truly useful feature in .Mac/MobileMe.

I have my own site/domain, which I've found to be cheaper than any service can possibly offer. I use HostMonster and have been very happy with it for several years now. I have my personal site, and The Graphic Mac hosted with them.

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/13/11 11:15 AM

I think 10-15 GB would be plenty...

Well in MM there were many folders in my iDisk, but outsiders could only see the Public one... something like that.
Okay, I've had some time to mess with DropBox. Like JD mentioned, the Public sharing feature of MobileMe was the one useful feature. I haven't seen a way in either DropBox or Network Solutions to make a Public folder without making who accesses it register. They can download separate files without registering if you give them the link to the file(s), but can't view the whole folder. There is a workaround like I mentioned above by setting up one dummy email address for a Shared folder and giving the link and log in info to the students, but there is the total file size limit.

With DropBox you get 2 G free, but you would need to pay $10 a month to get 50G. Then you'd need to pay a web host to host the web site too, that would be separate.

If you used FTP to share files through Network Solutions they would be hosting your site for you, $10 a month, and you could use your 300G of disk space for your files without incurring the extra charge.

With FTP they could use a web browser and see the whole folder so they can pick and choose files, it would look like this;

ftp://gesplus.com

User name - student_files
Password - $tudenT

You can name the folder/user whatever you want of course, that's just one I set up to show you how it works. It is set as read only so files can't be deleted or renamed if one uses an FTP client instead of a web browser.

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/13/11 05:54 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. smile
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Moving to iCloud, but wait . . . - 08/21/11 03:36 PM

I have 11GB of Dropbox storage (free). You need to look on their site for the "get more storage" options. View a video, get more space. Refer people, get more space. They have like half a dozen things you can do to get your free space up to 10+GB.

You don't need your own domain either, so that shouldn't be an issue.

However, as Reboot stated, it's still not as "transparent" as MobileMe was. You can share individual files, but in order for people to see a whole folder, they have to have their own Dropbox account. Given that it's free, it's not that big of a deal - but it is a barrier that some people will simply not want to overcome.

Quite frankly, it's easier just to use your own domain hosting to share files. My HostMonster control panel allows me to set up a folder to be accessed as a web disk - so others simply need to know the URL and password to mount it on their desktop just like it was a server. They can upload or download files as easily as drag & drop.