Lion Scrolling …are you in?

Posted by: zwei

Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 03:47 PM

This is my 4th day of using Lion's "Natural Scrolling" and I have to say I've become comfortable enough with it that I don't see myself going back. I'm very curious as to what the rest of you think about it though. Anyone else make the switch?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 03:50 PM

I chose, "I'll scroll....wheel was invented" simply because I don't have a trackpad.

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 03:55 PM

The thing I'm most curious about? …what the default scroll direction will be for Windows 8 wink

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: zwei
The thing I'm most curious about? …what the default scroll direction will be for Windows 8 wink

Just for gits and shiggles, I'm going to set mine back to Lion's direction and try it out with my mouse scroll wheel. grin

Yeah. If you can get your mind used to flicking a page up or down rather than relying on the scroll bars, then it seems rather natural.

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 04:34 PM

Hold your mouse up to your monitor and scroll and it feels really obvious. Amazing how different if feels when you put it back down on your desk.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I chose, "I'll scroll....wheel was invented" simply because I don't have a trackpad.
You're still using threaded mode, sure you can handle a trackpad? wink

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
You're still using threaded mode, sure you can handle a trackpad? wink

Oh, a wise guy! laugh

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 05:36 PM

I relate my scrolling to the scroll bar, down drags the scroll bar down so I can see the page farther down.

Natural scrolling is relating the scroll wheel direction to more like physically grabbing the page and moving it. Meh, we'll have to see I guess.

It's going iOS, no scroll bars, and scan your finger up and the page goes up, like grabbing it. On the iPad and iPhone it feels right, grabbing the page and moving it, but with a scroll wheel, not so natural. Maybe with a trackpad it would feel more "natural."

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 05:42 PM

Oh, a wise guy! laugh
Well at least your wife's a nurse, she can unknot your fingers for you when you get the trackpad.

snare drum/cymbal
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 07:14 PM

I'm not sure which to button choose in your poll.

I use Lion's way of scrolling in Lion.
I use Snow Leopards way of scrolling in Snow Leopard.
If I get confused between OS's, I scroll the other way.
NO BIG DEAL.
Can't believe it's a controversy.
I've adapted to much more difficult things than this.

Wacom mouse & pen.

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 07/26/11 07:19 PM

FYI, for those of you who have machines that can't be updated to Lion, here's a way for you to have a consistent scrolling experience.

http://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 08/26/11 09:26 PM

I gave it a week, and I really like it. In fact, I like it so much now that I changed my Mac Pro with Snow Leopard at work to scroll the "natural" way. I was zipping around in a photoshop file today (nuking a bunch of dust off a mirror surface) and thinking how much more natural it is to mouse that way now.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 08/27/11 01:48 PM

Conversely, I went out and got a trackpad for my desktop for Lion ... after a week or so, the trackpad is now in storage. I just didn't see much, if any advantage of a trackpad over a multi-button mouse on the desktop ...

Oddly enough, I never use a mouse when on the Macbook Pros -- I always use the trackpad. Go figure =)

Re: Lion Scrolling …are you in? - 08/28/11 11:39 AM

I've got both hooked up. I'm learning to switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing.

Almost everything I'm doing related to the internet I use the trackpad. Works VERY well.