Lion gold master released!

Posted by: John Rougeux

Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 07:22 AM

Apparently Apple has released the GM of Lion to developers yesterday! This means Lion will be out VERY soon! Can't wait.

I am actually considering getting the Server app to check it out since it's pretty cheap.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 07:31 AM

Yep! It's almost out of the cage!

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 07:43 AM

I am thinking 1 week barring any bugs that pop up this week. Should be quick since they don't have to send it to manufacturer anymore
Posted by: DLC

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 07:48 AM

JULY 14th !! grin
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
JULY 14th !! grin

I saw one rumor that had it as early as the 9th. But a Saturday? Maybe Friday, the 8th if nothing buggy pops up?

I still need time to gather my meager resources in order to get the update/grade + a Magic Touchpad. I might have to wait for my next CC billing cycle after the 21st.

EDIT: I wonder if this will be the last X version to support Core2Duo processors, though.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
I am actually considering getting the Server app to check it out since it's pretty cheap.
It's your money but I don't see any need for a regular consumer to have use for a server version. There are no speed enhancements, only a GUI to access the file server features that are already in the OS, FTP, sharing, mail server, etc.

Here's what's in SL server, see any need for any of it in a home environment?

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 08:49 AM

Some features that I would like:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/mobile-access.html

And a mail server would be nice too. Setting up email through ISP is not friendly

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/mail-services.html

iCal server is a nice idea, but if iCloud does the same, then this would be wasted
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/ical-server.html

I knew it wouldn't be a sped boost
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
MobileMe/iCloud, other free/cheap 3rd party solutions for a VPN.

Quote:
Take it from experience, you do NOT want to run your own mail server. From MX/MXA records, to backups, to down time, to DOS attacks, to routine maintenance. I have customers that think it would be a great idea to run their own website and mail from their business, it's only a make work for the IT department. It's so much cheaper and less of a hassle to have a professional web host do it.
Quote:
Setting up email through ISP is not friendly
If you find that unfriendly you will find running your own mail server much more challenging than that.

You'll need to get a static IP address for your home also, or use a dyndns sort of service. DHCP doesn't work well with any of that stuff.

Just my .02 on it all, but go ahead, it will give you something to tinker with, pretty much on a daily basis. smirk
Posted by: carp

Re: Lion gold master released! - 07/02/11 01:56 PM

Since we are on the subject of mail.

I hate to say it but XP version of OutLook, still beats Apple Mail by a long shot.

Really thats one app that Apple should put in some serious effort.