Getting iCloud ready?

Posted by: John Rougeux

Getting iCloud ready? - 06/24/11 05:09 AM

Twice now while here in DC, I got this window pop up when checking email. The 2nd time I was able to get a screen shot before it disappeared. I do not have MobileMe

ICloud by johnrougeux, on Flickr
Posted by: DLC

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 06/24/11 06:18 AM

COOL !! cool

I can't wait for LION !! grin

what amazes me is Windows OS is so far behind...

I saw an article on the top 8 Top features in Windows 8 (to be released late 2012 or early 2013) and 6-7 of the 8 features OS X already HAD !! Like Time Machine, we've had for what 2-3 years ?? Face recognition ? built in PDF reader ?? (how about PDF MAKER !!?).. an App store ! . .and of course Cloud services !!
and Windows 8 is not even out yet - 18-20 months away !! shocked

Windows 8 should be realeased when Jobs releases OS XI !! laugh

Posted by: carp

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 06/24/11 02:17 PM

Windows 8 should be realeased when Jobs releases OS XI !!

No kidding.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 06/26/11 10:13 AM

I think you're drinking too much of the Kool-Aid. Windows has had a cloud-storage system in place for quite a while now. They've also had backup solutions long before the Mac. Facial recognition has been available on Windows for years, as have PDF readers. Built-in? Why? What purpose do they serve? Acrobat reader already ships on every computer sold (except the Mac, of course). And what does the average consumer need with facial recognition?

Listen, I love the Mac as much as anyone - but this notion that it's light years ahead of Windows died a long time ago. Quite frankly, Windows 7 pretty much puts it on par with Mac OS X in virtually every aspect for the average consumer user.

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 06/28/11 01:07 PM

Not really JD.

I have been using PCs for work and Macs at home for over 20 years. So I could do a side by side comparison, everyday - I will say that the last Window OS I used was XP, with a Vista Clown suit. Sorta reminded me of Mac 10, the first OSX.

Windows may have had some features first - but they all sucked big time laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 06/28/11 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
the last Window OS I used was XP, with a Vista Clown suit.
LOL. That is so true. Great analogy. laugh
Quote:
Sorta reminded me of Mac 10, the first OSX.
I would give it a more credit than that though, but it was nothing to write home about as compared to new features not in XP.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 06/28/11 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Originally Posted By: carp
the last Window OS I used was XP, with a Vista Clown suit.
LOL. That is so true. Great analogy. laugh
Quote:
Sorta reminded me of Mac 10, the first OSX.
I would give it a more credit than that though, but it was nothing to write home about as compared to new features not in XP.
I saw the Windows 7 promo commercials and thought, "Been there. Done that!" laugh

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 06/29/11 04:01 AM

I've also read on many PC sites that just because Windows HAS a feature, that doesn't mean it works well. One in particular they were talking about a feature in upcoming Win8 that's like Time Machine on the Mac. The commentators last remark was, will it work as easily and seamlessly as Apple's given MS's history?!! shocked

So some of their premier features can be clunky and crude.

I'm with ya MacB - I looked at Win8 features and many we've had for a couple of years... seems like MS is playing catch-up again! (or copy cat again- take your pick !)
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 07/09/11 09:26 AM

I can't speak on Windows 8 - nor can anyone else here because it's not even in beta testing yet, so nobody has it. All we can go by is a really bad feature video.

Windows 7 however has been out for a while. It's stable, and they've improved a LOT over Vista and XP. It is far and away faster than OSX as far as app launching and general interface speed. There's a lot I don't care for, but it isn't light-years behind OS X.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 07/10/11 04:01 AM

Apple and Microsoft play tag with each other a lot.

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 07/10/11 05:54 AM

Well lets hope Lion is a big advance.

(I barely use Win7 at school, so I'm mainly speaking from what I read, not a great amount of experience like you are.)

I DO use WinXT at work all the time and it's pretty pathetic compared to everything else (course it's 11 years old now). Haven't tried VISTA. CDC is supposed to be migrating to Win 7 soon so I may have more experience. Not sure how all the Fed Budget deficits will impact that, but our IT services are Stone Age now. Horrible, slow, intermittent service.. a real mess. .. and it's NOT cheap. frown

Re: Getting iCloud ready? - 07/10/11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Apple and Microsoft play tag with each other a lot.

Well now it is more like MS is playing catch up to Apple and NOT EVEN close enough to play tag - let alone to everyone else in the same game. Seems to me they are about 3 to 5 years behind everyone.

IMO
The only thing that keeps MS going is the (Cheap arse) computers from DELL