Apple TV?

Posted by: cope

Apple TV? - 06/22/11 02:21 PM

Apple TV, good idea or not?

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 02:44 PM

That is really cool, but I'm not surprised. I figured they were heading that way, incorporating their Apple TV module and the upcoming iCloud. I'll check it out, thx.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 02:45 PM

Maybe if they licensed it to existing TV makers. Of course, they may have already tried that and were refused, so the reason to go it alone? It would be nice if the TV set did connect to your home Wi-Fi network, though.
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 02:51 PM

I have said long ago that this would happen.

But why would apple get into a market that everyone including their babies manufactures TV's ? ? Makes no sense in a flooded market <-- then again look at when PC's had 95% market share. Everyone thought Apple was dog meat and gonna die off.

Just maybe , maybe Apple could pull this TV off but it has to be, something that is truly innovative. By that I mean features that NO other TV or Set Top Box has today.

I hope that this venture is not a freaking (iCloud) do hickey.

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Just maybe , maybe Apple could pull this TV off but it has to be, something that is truly innovative. By that I mean features that NO other TV or Set Top Box has today.
That's the key, of course they will, it's what they've always done with other stuff, think different.
Quote:
I hope that this venture is not a freaking (iCloud) do hickey.
Of course it will be integrated with iCloud if you want, but I'd say that they should make it available also for your local content like they do the current AppleTV. If they want to sell more of them it should be IMO. You know, for those curmudgeons that don't want to spend $60 upgrading their OS for every computer in the house. wink

Also on that note, if one can afford the TV, one can afford the OS upgrade price.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 05:01 PM

The first thing that hits me is that iTunes would be built in. When I got my last laptop and then a 52" HDTV.. I hooked up the laptop so that I could pump music through my stereo... but more importantly.. to see the iTunes visualizer as large as life. Now it would just be built in....cool.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 06:27 PM

By the time that I'm able to buy another TV, it will be totally immersive holographic - you'll actually be in the movie as it happens.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 06:54 PM

I sit so close that that's already a reality for me....
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Apple TV? - 06/22/11 08:06 PM

I'm going to poop on this whole idea. Apple charged what, $1500 for a 30" LCD. Can you imagine what they would charge for a 52" flatscreen with AppleTV/iOS built-in?

Yeah honey, I know you needed that $5,000 knee surgery, but I bought an Apple television instead.

Re: Apple TV? - 06/23/11 04:01 AM

I was wondering the same, what would the cost be.
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple TV? - 06/24/11 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I was wondering the same, what would the cost be.

I bet the top of the line cost wise, Apple would be a few hundred more.

My thoughts;
TV needs to be computer indifferent, I mean you don't need a computer and this TV as a combo. Simply if you don't own a Mac or a PC, this TV would be something like a strip down computer ? ?

Re: Apple TV? - 06/24/11 04:30 PM

I figure it will be a computer TV all in one thing.