Lion

Posted by: John Rougeux

Lion - 06/06/11 12:16 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Some requirements:
Make sure your Mac can run Lion.
Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion.

Make sure you have the latest version of Snow Leopard.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Lion - 06/06/11 12:19 PM

My Mini can run it, but the wife's can't.

Re: Lion - 06/06/11 12:23 PM

My iMac can run it, but my wife's can't.

What's that say about us?! grin

Re: Lion - 06/06/11 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
My iMac can run it, but my wife's can't.

What's that say about us?! grin

If it ain't broke....

My daughter still has an eMac that won't die. Hers is maxed at 10.5.8.
Posted by: trey

Re: Lion - 06/06/11 12:45 PM

My MacBook meets the minimum specs... I wonder how it'll run? I'd imagine it'll be fine.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Lion - 06/06/11 01:22 PM

As I am not at all a hardware geek, I was pleasantly surprised to find I have the minimum specs. My Mac is going on six years old, so it was nice to know it isn't as old as I'd thought. What a nice price surprise as well. I never did get Leopard (the first time I skipped a version) - I went straight to Snow Leopard when it came out so cheap. I went against Apple advice and upgraded straight from Tiger. After initial speed increases, SL has seemed rather slow to me, making me wait regularly - even though SL was supposed to be a leaner and meaner version of Leopard. I am leery of putting Lion on top of that and giving myself even more headaches.

Anyway, I am sure a number of people here will try it quickly enough and I will read your feedback with interest.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lion - 06/06/11 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
As I am not at all a hardware geek, I was pleasantly surprised to find I have the minimum specs. My Mac is going on six years old, so it was nice to know it isn't as old as I'd thought.
Do you have a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo?
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Lion - 06/07/11 03:12 AM

About my Mac says I have a Core 2 Duo.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Lion - 06/07/11 04:43 AM

John can you only buy this OS Lion through the App Store online or can you purchase this through a Apple retailer? thanks

Re: Lion - 06/07/11 05:11 AM

Says only through Mac app store

Obviously they are doing this for a few reasons:
To promote use of Mac App store
To hold down costs and inventory

And since apparently you install off the download, it appears to not do a cean install unless there is some way for it to communicate & download while doing this.

If you don't have broadband, since it's a 4GB download, I would head over to the Apple store and download it there

Re: Lion - 06/07/11 07:07 AM

cool Good to go.
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Lion - 06/07/11 09:03 AM

Here are all of the 250+ new features in Lion!
Lion features.
Posted by: carp

Re: Lion - 06/07/11 01:20 PM

Humm

Wonder if you can buy the Lion disc?
Used to be you could skip a version, now seems like Apple wants to screw you by making you buy every version before upgrading to the next? ?

Re: Lion - 06/07/11 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Humm

Wonder if you can buy the Lion disc?
Used to be you could skip a version, now seems like Apple wants to screw you by making you buy every version before upgrading to the next? ?
???? Buy every version? Yes, but Snow Leopard was $29.99 for Leopard users. Lion is $29.99 for as many machines as you own if you have Snow Leopard. That's $58 in three years. cry

They don't make money on the OS, they never have.

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 07:04 AM

Good idea thanks

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 01:54 PM

Well I used to skip versions, before, sorta bought on DVD every other one so to speak.

Now

I need to have Snow, before buying Lion. Kinda stinks if you asked me. I would understand if I was more than 2 versions behind.

Just like I cannot watch the keynote without snow installed - but I can in h3ll watch the streamed video (ad) for Lion. laugh
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 02:56 PM

Quote:
I need to have Snow, before buying Lion. Kinda stinks if you asked me.

I guess I don't see the problem -- just pretend it's a $60 upgrade from what you have to Lion ($30 for Snow Leopard, $30 for Lion), which is about $60 less than you paid for your last OSX upgrade ;-)

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 02:57 PM

Well, for $60 you will be getting 2 OS's! Not bad at all, but yeah, it is too bad that there is no option to skip snow.

I wonder if they will offer it on disc for a slightly higher fee

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 03:19 PM

Its not about the money.

its more about the lost options that we used to have, to skip or wait.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 03:34 PM

If its not about the money, buy it. You can get Snow leopard and then wait 6 months for Lion to get some updates and then buy it.

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
its more about the lost options that we used to have, to skip or wait.
What options are you talking about? You can skip this one too, or wait a while.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Lion - 06/08/11 07:15 PM

There will be no DVD option, now or ever. You will have to download it (under Snow Leopard) and then you can burn the disc image to DVD or SD Card.

Re: Lion - 06/09/11 03:46 AM

They are selling the Lion OS here where I reside in the Philippines for $10.00 which is a clone of course.

Re: Lion - 06/09/11 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
They are selling the Lion OS here where I reside in the Philippines for $10.00 which is a clone of course.

It hasn't been released, so that $10 will get you either a pre-release version, or something that doesn't work at all.

Re: Lion - 06/09/11 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
There will be no DVD option, now or ever. You will have to download it (under Snow Leopard) and then you can burn the disc image to DVD or SD Card.

Right JD

I was planing to skip Snow and just buy Lion - but NOT.

Re: Lion - 06/09/11 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7

It hasn't been released, so that $10 will get you either a pre-release version, or something that doesn't work at all.

Right Michael.
More like it is a hacked up Chinese version.
Friend of mine went to China (this was about 15 years ago) and came back with Chinese made CD's that had 40 top apps like PS, PageMaker, Quark yada yada. Even came with Chinese made installer with all the cheat codes - he bought all 40 apps for 5 bucks American. Apparently they all worked ? ?

Re: Lion - 06/10/11 04:34 AM

Here in the Philippines mostly everything is crooked anyway. I will wait until July to get the Lion OS the right way.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Lion - 06/10/11 06:08 AM

Even if you have to buy Snow Leopard, you're paying $60 to get to Lion, where you had to pay $129 for Leopard.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Lion - 06/10/11 06:44 AM

Time for a new wife!

Re: Lion - 06/10/11 07:07 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Time for a new wife!
Too late now. Had our 32nd wedding anniversary yesterday. grin
Posted by: zwei

Re: Lion - 06/13/11 01:20 PM

$29 for what is essentially a family pack …developers will be dropping support for older OS versions much quicker than before. Unless you are on a work/production machine with incompatibilities there is no real reason you shouldn't upgrade.

People still using PPC apps …the bell tolls.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Lion - 06/13/11 01:31 PM

I thought the Bell already rang loud with Snow Leopard !

Well . . that's what I was tolled ! laugh