WWDC

Posted by: John Rougeux

WWDC - 06/06/11 03:38 AM

today is the keynote for WWDC. Steve is going to talk about iOS5, iCloud, & Lion. Can't wait!

Which part excites you most? For me, I think iOS5 & Lion. I want to see what changes are in store for 5.

Perhaps we should take a poll on when you think each will be released, and for Lion, how much?

I say Sept for iOS5 & Lion. ICloud will be released at end of June. Cost for Lion will be $79 through App store on your Mac. ICloud...probably free either through end of year or for 1 year.

Please keep all topics/posts about WWDC in this section (Apple World)
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 04:14 AM

Is this going to be streamed live do you know?

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:33 AM

Doubtful. Apple hasn't streamed a keynote in a long while.

Though, with iCloud being discussed, who knows. They may do it to show how good it works.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:48 AM

You can catch live updates here:
http://twitter.com/#!/macrumorslive

Here's an interesting one, shows updates from past keynotes too:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/06/wwdc-2010-live-streaming_n_602412.html
Posted by: trey

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 09:55 AM

I'm hoping Lion won't be that much. I don't expect it to be thirty dollars, but fifty would be nice.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:01 AM

I'm just guessing. Yeah, it won't be the price of Snow Leopard, but with the ability to download it rather than buying a DVD, that should save Apple some money I think.

But what has me wondering...if you can just download it, how will you install it if it's not on a DVD?

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:02 AM

It's started. Store is still up!

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:05 AM

Wow, Steve looks frail

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:15 AM

I see that I'm going to have to invest in a gesture capable mouse/trackpad. smirk

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:18 AM

Yup, exactly what I told Waleed...time to buy a Magic Trackpad

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:29 AM

Yeah, I wonder about that too. I also wonder if I'll be able to install onto more than one Mac with just one purchase. It's this question and more that's kept me from ordering Remote Desktop from the App Store.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:35 AM

ah, good question re: installing on more than one mac. Perhaps this is a way for them to control that?

While it's never really been enforced by Apple, legally you are only allowed to install it on one machine unless you get a family pack.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:36 AM

Apparently it is true: Lion Server is now an add-on.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:37 AM

I'm wondering what the hardware requirements for Lion are.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:38 AM

available ONLY through the Mac App Store!

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 10:38 AM

Lion is $29.99, install on any mac you own!

Available in July

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 11:07 AM

Quote:
2:05
Dictionary is a service in iOS 5, all apps from App Store can use it. Brings up actual word dictionary

YES!!! I've been wishing they would open up the dictionary as an app... I guess that's what this means.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 11:11 AM

iPad and iPhone now will be PC free! yes!

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 11:13 AM

iMessage is a new messaging service between all iOS 5 customers!

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 11:19 AM

iOS5 this fall

Supports iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and iPad 2, 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch
Posted by: carp

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 11:55 AM

I would love to watch the keynote but the last one was only for snow users.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 12:03 PM

No new hardware announced. Last "one more thing" was about iTunes Match, where if you rip your CD and put it into iTunes, iTunes will scan it and make available all of your music on your other devices without syncing to your mac, all via iCloud. Cost is $24.99/year for that.

iCloud is free, you get 5GB for mail.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 12:07 PM

I'm still iDevice deprived, though. cry
Posted by: drjohn

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Yup, exactly what I told Waleed...time to buy a Magic Trackpad

Why?
Posted by: Papa

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 02:25 PM

The finger gestures that work on the IOS devices will now work with Lion.

http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50105995.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
Posted by: Mike

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 02:30 PM

No word on 'MobilMe'. I guess it remains a $99.00 (annual) service?

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike
No word on 'MobilMe'. I guess it remains a $99.00 (annual) service?

I just posted that info here

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 03:13 PM

According to an Apple support document, current MobileMe users have had their accounts automatically extended until June 6, 2012, at no charge. After that date, the MobileMe service will be discontinued. MobileMe users will need to sign up for iClould, and will be able to keep their me.com or mac.com email addresses. Once your iCloud account has been established, you can move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to your Cloud account. If you have an unused activation code for MobileMe, you can request a refund before June 30, 2012.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
According to an Apple support document, current MobileMe users have had their accounts automatically extended until June 6, 2012, at no charge. After that date, the MobileMe service will be discontinued. MobileMe users will need to sign up for iClould, and will be able to keep their me.com or mac.com email addresses. Once your iCloud account has been established, you can move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to your Cloud account. If you have an unused activation code for MobileMe, you can request a refund before June 30, 2012.

I'm wondering what will become of Back to My Mac. Haven't had time to read anything yet. I have customers that travel a lot and use the Screen Sharing and File Sharing.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 03:26 PM

I didn't see it mentioned and i haven't had time to check out all the articles yet. My employer insisted that I work at my job and not stay glued to the internet.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 03:29 PM

I wonder if we'll finally get user-definable reply-to addresses, finally? Ever? (can't seem to let go of this... it really bugs me that I have to keep explaining to folk why I say I have one address, and they see another.)

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 03:42 PM

I wonder how this will affect iDisk. Does that go away with MobileMe?

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 04:01 PM

My employer insisted that I work at my job and not stay glued to the internet.
Heartless Bastige.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 04:12 PM

Quote:
I wonder how this will affect iDisk. Does that go away with MobileMe?
My guess is that the iCloud will replace the iDisk that is on the current cloud. crazy It's taken a year to get people used to the Pictures folder change, (cough cough NG4) now they want to convolute it again? Hopefully it will be more user friendly and the file paths and folder permissions will work like accessing a hard drive or any other online disk space, drive/folder of your choice path/repeat. But I doubt it, they must protect us. smirk

Edit - That seems like a bit of a rant but remember the stupid .Pictures thing too?

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 04:16 PM

Lots of questions to be answered in the coming days and weeks. At least we have a year to figure it out.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 04:19 PM

My feelings exactly but I didn't protest too much since Big Brother can monitor my internet usage.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 04:22 PM

Lots of questions to be answered in the coming days and weeks. At least we have a year to figure it out.
And I'm sure there will be plenty of advance emails, etc from Apple.
Posted by: Nana

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:00 PM

Wow, Steve looks frail

Somebody throw that man a chicken bone! He's thinner than the iPhone!

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:12 PM

Wow, he looks really thin there. I wonder how he's doing? He hasn't come off of his medical leave yet

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:13 PM

A year? I suppose if you are a MobileMe user you can put it off, but why? Icloud comes out this fall and I can't wait to try it out

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:17 PM

A year? I suppose if you are a MobileMe user you can put it off, but why? Icloud comes out this fall and I can't wait to try it out

I'll be takin' it for a spin, too. I'm still working on a plan to obtain an iPhone by then.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:24 PM

I don't plan on waiting a year either but some people will put it off for as long as they can. I won't jump in right away. I'll let some of the bugs get worked out first.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:53 PM

Michael, I highly recommend an iPad over an iPhone. Not only to save money in long run (data plans start at $15/month = $360 for 2 years)

I would gladly drop my iPhone when my contract runs up

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 05:58 PM

Michael, I highly recommend an iPad over an iPhone. Not only to save money in long run (data plans start at $15/month = $360 for 2 years)

I would gladly drop my iPhone when my contract runs up

I can get a really cheap price on a refurbed iPhone and I could give up some beer for the data plan. An iPad would be my preference too, but I have to be really cost conscious about the initial cost. I haven't seen iPad 2s in the Apple refurb area yet.

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 06:10 PM

I did see where walmart has the iPhone 4 for $147 until June 30th. Too bad you don't go in there wink
Posted by: drjohn

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 06:12 PM

The finger gestures that work on the IOS devices will now work with Lion.

http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50105995.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Thanks! I've had a finger gesture for Apple several times lately, but they never noticed. wink

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 06:16 PM

I did see where walmart has the iPhone 4 for $147 until June 30th. Too bad you don't go in there wink
And I don't have $147 at my disposal.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 06:48 PM

Quote:
and I could give up some beer for the data plan.

Blasphemy!
<Shatner>
There must be… some other… way!
</Shatner>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: WWDC - 06/06/11 11:11 PM

Quote:
used to the Pictures folder change, (cough cough NG4)

Don't laugh.. I copied/pasted the path for my sig pic to my avatar and only changed the file name to the pic i wanted.. a few days ago and still couldn't get my avatar to link.

Re: WWDC - 06/07/11 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

I'm wondering what will become of Back to My Mac. Haven't had time to read anything yet. I have customers that travel a lot and use the Screen Sharing and File Sharing.

Never used or read up on Back to my Mac but I'm wondering if iCloud won't take care of that?

With icloud, you sign in to the store on your device and everything is there. It says on new devices or one you want to restore. So not sure if that is just for mobile devices or macs too. And if that would work on other macs...but then I can see it overwriting the other person's stuff.

Ok, quick search on Apple's site about back to my Mac and I think it's about being able to get files off your Mac on another Mac?

If so, then Airdrop takes care of that

Re: WWDC - 06/07/11 06:25 AM

Anyone trying out iTunes 10.3 yet?
Posted by: Jashue

Re: WWDC - 06/07/11 06:55 AM

Where can I get .3? According to my software update, 10.2.2 is the current version.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: WWDC - 06/07/11 06:56 AM

Nevermind....

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Re: WWDC - 06/07/11 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Jashue

Yeah, it's beta, so SU won't grab it.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: WWDC - 06/07/11 09:57 AM

Software Update has it now, too =)

Re: WWDC - 06/08/11 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Software Update has it now, too =)

SU on my wife's Mini grabbed it at 9:30PM last evening - v10.3.1 - and my Mini did when I woke it this AM.

Re: WWDC - 06/10/11 06:14 PM

So, I've opted not to download my iTunes purchases to my other devices, since I don't have any, and I really don't need them downloaded to my wife's computer. If, in the near future, I obtain an iPhone or iPad, then I will probably turn that function on.

Re: WWDC - 06/24/11 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/appl...find-my-iphone/

Re: WWDC - 06/24/11 09:59 PM

I feel much better now, thx.