Apple fans' religious reactions

Posted by: Jim_

Apple fans' religious reactions - 05/19/11 09:48 PM

Glory be. Head out to the Apple Chapel.

Are we really that bad?
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions - 05/19/11 10:05 PM

Well, it's just a potent mix of the underdog religious fervor with the rightful heir/whatever theme (well, maybe 'heir/whatever' isn't well chosen, but 'rightful' is the key operative word).

Company that basically invents mass market personal computing falls on hard times and escapes peril, death and all that sh!t, then kicks arse and assumes its rightful place.

It's the stuff of myth and religion. Apple's wielding Excalibur again (and with this streaming media bit, pretty much sewed up the corporate charters and coin of the realm bit). Duh!!!

What's so hard to understand about that? Great killer story - A classic - Timeless. Steve for the ages ( and well deserved, he earned it ). Steve's worth at least ten times every penny.

Ed
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions - 05/20/11 03:55 AM

I would read it but I'm late for Mass in front of my iMac.....
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions - 05/21/11 01:33 AM

Worshipping Mac was a lot more fun when half those around me on the train weren't people dinking with their iPhones.. I want an Idol I can really feel is my own..
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions - 05/21/11 04:02 AM

Quote:
Are we really that bad?

There are degrees in everything ;-)

What I'm wondering is what makes what they're describing about an "Apple fanatic" (I'd love to see the selection criteria for that category ;-) different from any other kind of fan -- say an avid Red Sox fan or an avid Beatles fan (especially in the 60's!)?

As a side note, I can't help but think that if rabid fandom does stimulate the same part of the brain as does religion, that might be saying something more about religion than the other way around ;-)

[steps slowly away from the line sending this thread to the Soapbox ;-)]
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions - 05/23/11 02:54 PM

Well, it's just a potent mix of the underdog religious fervor with the rightful heir/whatever theme

Right Ed, you hit the nail on the head.

Really the PC Whiny Crowed are really more devoted than the Mac people on any day and at any time, to the point they are vicious - just read any comments from any Mac product review on just about any web site..

Case in point, I was verbally assaulted, from a PC, IT person when I mentioned I owned a Mac - he said (Mac People are Stupid) laugh <-- that gives you an indication on how devoted they are to their PC's.

What we see today, IMO, is people excited about iPods, iPads and iPhones - not really about Macs per-say. Sorta its more about Apple the (Digital Life Style) not about Apple Computer.
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Apple fans' religious reactions - 05/24/11 05:11 AM

If we as Mac zealots have a rapture do we go to Cupertino?