Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/01/11 10:55 AM

Saw several links on macsurfer...
Sandy Bridge iMacs

May 3rd

with Thunderbolt !!

laugh
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/02/11 03:23 AM

Curious are you in the market to buy one? Apple is really the leader in getting up to date in technology in the latest concepts.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/02/11 08:47 AM

No, I bought a 30" iMac quadcore i7 last August !! VERY pleased !!

But the Sandy Bridge CPUs and Thunderbolt sure sound nice !! grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/02/11 04:26 PM

Was thinking today was iMac release date all day long... kept checking here and Apples site.LOL...
I'll do it all over again tomorrow.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 04:05 AM

Tempting isn't it.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 05:07 AM

Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 06:22 AM

Thar they blow!

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 09:41 AM

OK.. I need opinions.. and I need em' fast. laugh

The new iMac (this one) or the refurb and save the money?

The new has faster processor w/ more cache.. better vid card (albeit less vid ram) and FaceTime HD camera.
And ThunderBolt technology.

Notes... this is mostly a studio computer/The connection here sux so the HD camera prolly won't matter much more than a regular iSight camera.

This refurb..
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC510LL/A?mco=MjEwNTcxMTU#overview

versus the low end 27"..
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 10:14 AM

Of course.. seeing that there are exactly 666 threads in this forum now... maybe someone is trying to tell me something. eek
Posted by: zwei

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 10:38 AM

get thunderbolt. makes future expansion possible.

think inside out mac pro wink

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 10:41 AM

I think the ONLY thing the new ones have over the old ones hands down is Thunderbolt.

Processors: Right now you don't "need" all quad core. What runs that many processors that you have right now? Lion may change this though.

Ram: The refurb takes up to 16GB of ram at 1333 Mhz DDR3. New ones are exactly teh same.

Hard drives: both come with 1TB, but with new vs refurb, you get the option of the SSD card.

Facetime works on old iMac too.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 10:49 AM

Agreed John, these machines have had ample oomph for a while now. Heck, my iMac is 4 years old and I have no intention on replacing it any time soon. (especially with my external SSD upgrade)

If I only had thunderbolt on this one…

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: zwei
get thunderbolt. makes future expansion possible.

think inside out mac pro wink

I know.. and that's why I am damning Apple right now. W/o TB in the mix.. it would be a no brainer.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 10:59 AM

John.. I was speaking of vid ram being more on the refurb.. albeit wit a slower card.

I am deliberating getting the refurb to save money...soooo... an SSD isn't really an option at this point. If I was going to do an SSD it would be an after market one on my MP at home.
Tempting though... very tempting...
Plus i can always do an external SSD boot later on via TB.

Aaaarrrghhh..

I am leaning towards the new one.

Anyone else have thoughts?
Anyone?
Bueller? Buelller?
Reboot?

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 11:29 AM

Oh I know you were and I forgot to include that in there.

Video card would probably only see real benefits in video editing. Running your photo applications would take more ram than video I think.

So this would replace an existing machine or add to your studio? I"m thinking you said that you have a macbook pro and that's it?

If so, then yeah, a new one would be the way to go.

If you are replacing a mac in your studio, is there anyway you can live off of it for 6 months to a year? Wait until the next one comes out then get this one as a refurb/closing out?

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 11:45 AM

I was checking this out the other day.. Capture One was a 60 MB app and a memory hog 4 years ago at version 3.7.

Then they started adding functionality to it to compete with Aperture and LR. It went to 368 MB app in version 5.
Now it's at 525 MB at version 6.0
I know app size isn't the issue here.. I'm just saying my 3+ year old laptop is ok for capturing... but trying to do much more is causing it to lag.

So.. this iMac wouldn't replace it completely... but I would use the laptop a LOT less... just on location shoots. Use the new iMac for all studio work.

Plus... this laptop is at max 4 GB ram. When I launch C1 and PS and Quark and a few others.. it gets eaten up quickly.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 12:02 PM

oh, so it's going to be in addition to, not replacing.

Then I would say go for it. Use the laptop for location shooting and the iMac for editing/storage.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 12:03 PM

LOL.. go for which?
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 12:10 PM

Quote:
LOL.. go for which?

"It," of course ;-)

alternative answer: "yes." ;-D

Sorry, just being a smart-ass today =)

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 12:22 PM

Maybe I should wait.. at least until Lion is part of the package...

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 12:34 PM

sorry, I meant the new iMac. I think this Thunderbolt port will prove out to be really good. Problem is, what's out there that can utilize it?

So, perhaps waiting for Lion and more periphials to come out before getting it might be the better idea. Especially in the hard drive area. That's where it'll come in handy.

Best scenario: get the...wow, just seen the price of a 256GB SSD card! Yikes!

But, since this is a work machine that should last you 5-6 years at minimum, I would recommend this setup:

21.5 inch iMac
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5

You want something that will run fast? There you go. And then later on get say a Drobo or whatever that utilizes Thunderbolt.

And by getting the smaller one, you can get a Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) as a second monitor. I think having 2 would be better than one large one especially for apps like Photoshop.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 12:43 PM

Remember that Lion is dropping Rosetta. Cocoa apps only.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 01:47 PM

I have a 20: Cinema display that will be used with the imac.

As far as the SSD.. wouldn't that be in place of the SATA drive? Not in conjunction with it... or can they do both at Apple?

And Acumowchek.. I don't think I even use any Rosetta apps...

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 02:53 PM

You can get both installed by Apple, that's an option with the top 21.5" and the 2 27" iMacs.

If you aren't sure, you can check if you have any PowerPC apps on your mac by going into System Profiler and choosing Applications on the left. These are what I have left that are running PowerPC (Rosetta)

Click for large view

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 05:35 PM

You are correct good sir. I did not see that... but for an extra $600.00 I will opt for a 3rd party external via TB and a eSATA adapter or some such.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 05:39 PM

Wow... Lion is going to be a problem for me. I have 64 apps that are PPC only.
A lot just need weeding out or updating... but not all we be "transferable".
So maybe I shouldn't use Lion as a reason to wait.... smile

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 08:19 PM

A phone call from Reboot ... he talked me off the ledge.

Gonna do the refurb and max out the ram from OWC for $208.00 for 16 GBs.

The refurb only has 2 cores... but I guess I don't need more than that right now... maybe after a couple of years I'll upgrade. TB will be more mature by then anyways...

Cool.. I'm back up to 3 Macs again....

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 08:45 PM

Way to go.
Refurbs are the best deal.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/03/11 09:33 PM

Hey Moderator!
How come after a minute or so, I decide to delete a post, because it's too smug, and it says it's too late to delete?
What's my time frame? 10 seconds? 5?
grin
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 05:08 AM

16 gigs? I've never had more than four!

Is there that much advantage to having that much? I ask, because I have my eye on one of the new iMacs and I'm debating between four or eight. 16 seems kind of extreme.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 05:19 AM

Depends on what you run. I run several apps at once that suck ram like it's mothers milk.

PS3 takes over 3 Gigs by itself.. and when I upgrade to 5 it will take even more. I open lots of files at once...30-50 MB files and for every file you open..PS needs 2.5 times that in ram.
Then I need Quark open.. Adobe Acrobat, C1 version 6.0 and Safari and ...blah blah. I'm tired of quitting apps...OSX handles ram better these days... but you can never have enuff ram.
Besides...16 GBs of ram for a paltry $208 bucks. I'm on it.
All I know is looking at my MBP with 4 gigs of ram.. I was experiencing heavy page outs... which results in lags in the softwares. I don't need clients sitting next to me watching the beachball.
Previously I used the iMacs at the printing company I worked for 10 years. But i have been on my own for a year and now need to step up at the studio. Home is ok with a MP and 6 GBs.. although I'm thinking about some more ram that too.
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 05:57 AM

Well this has been an excellent thread! I am in the same boat at home and use my 3 year old MBP to do everything. I need to replace my old dual 2 GHz G5 in my home studio and I was having the same dilemma...new or refurb and max out the RAM. I think I will go with the refurb deal too. I have a MacPro tower at work with 16 GB RAM and between PS and video editing and whatever else more RAM is always the way to go.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 06:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Hey Moderator!
How come after a minute or so, I decide to delete a post, because it's too smug, and it says it's too late to delete?
What's my time frame? 10 seconds? 5?
Everyone else can delete their posts, it's just you we've hobbled. grin

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 06:09 AM

Just do it!

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 06:38 AM

So you should have saved some time and called Reboot first since you aren't going to listen to me. crazy

I still think you should go new. Thunderbolt won't "mature" any on the iMac,at least not for a long while, but new periphials will be coming out. In the meantime, you will be stuck with last years model with no chance of using thunderbolt at all...until you upgrade again.

New ones are only $400 more. Considering that you would/could use this one a LOT longer than the previous model because of TB....just saying.

That 27" one is out of stock...did you get the last one?

And wait, isn't that refurb one a single processor? I don't see any mention of duo/dual/etc on there.

You will want at least a duo core running your photo apps.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 06:44 AM

whoops, I stand corrected:

The iMac "Core i3" 3.2 27-Inch Aluminum (Mid-2010) is powered by a dual core 3.2 GHz Intel "Core i3" I3-550 (Clarkdale) processor with a dedicated 256k level 2 cache for each core and a 4 MB shared level 3 cache. In lieu of a system bus, it has a "Direct Media Interface" (DMI) that "connects between the processor and chipset" at 2.5 GT/s.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 07:12 AM

I knew those refurbs would go fast! OK damnit I'll get the new one. It will allow TB stuff down the road and I don't want to have to upgrade for 3-4 years
Posted by: DLC

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Depends on what you run. I run several apps at once that suck ram like it's mothers milk.

LOL !! Nicely put !! laugh

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 12:27 PM

The refurbs are still there....

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27?mco=MjEwNzM3NDE

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 12:41 PM

John.. I hear you about TB. But consider this... what data, or amount of data, do I need to move at those speeds? USB 2.0/ FW800 are fast enough for me.
Today my shoot resulted in 3.45 GBs of data.
That took 2 minutes to transfer to a back up drive. TB would have made it be about a tenth of that.. but I'm ok with it taking 2 minutes.. I'll do something else while waiting.
After careful consideration... I have come to the conclusion that TB is not yet ready for prime time (in my world). When FW800 came out I didn't need it ASAP.. and actually seldom use it now at full 800 speeds.

Of course I do appreciate your advice... but Reboot has final say. laugh

JK.
But, seriously, he called me... where were you? grin

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 12:44 PM

Weird, they weren't earlier.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 12:46 PM

John..
But, seriously, he called me... where were you? grin

I was sitting here waiting on you.. but a silly little phone trumped my computer. How dare you?! grin LOL

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 04:46 PM

Come on, don't let me come between you guys. frown

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 05:16 PM

blush

Shipped today.. estimated delivery is 1 week.... May 11th.
Hoping it's here by Monday.
Working on getting CS5 now....

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 05:38 PM

Trivia!!!!
Posted by: carp

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/04/11 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Come on, don't let me come between you guys. frown

Ahh come on you want to get it both ways - laugh laugh Just kidding

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/05/11 07:49 AM

OK here's what I'm looking at:

Refurbished Apple TV $85.00
iMac - AppleCare Protection Plan $169.00
Refurbished AirPort Extreme Base Station $129.00
Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.8GHz Intel Quad Core i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 1 GB video card- $1,449.00

Ships: 1-3 business days

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/05/11 08:14 AM

Looks good.. except that I have bought AppleCare of Ebay for 1/2 of Apples asking price.

I looked at the refurb Apple TV version 2 also... but I have a version 1 that still works.. so I decided to hold off.

Just do it.

Actually.. now I'm wishing I had gone ahead and spent the extra for the quad and the vidcard with 1 GB...lol
Oh well.. I 'll trade up in a year or two...
Or maybe by then I'll have enough business to warrant having 2...
I have been contemplating getting some interns in here....

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/05/11 12:45 PM

Actually.. now I'm wishing I had gone ahead and spent the extra for the quad and the vidcard with 1 GB...lol
Climb down, come back in, everything is okay. Trust me, I never lie, and I'm always right. smirk.

Unless you play graphic intensive games, or do 3D rendering, (Bryce etc) you would not see any difference in performance.

In Photoshop CS4 and CS5 on systems with over 256M of VRAM the GPU is used for smoother zooming in and out, rotating the canvas, displaying and working with 3D objects, and color correction among other things. Here's what GPU acceleration does in PS. You're getting the acceleration, and the extra VRAM would not make any difference unless maybe you were applying any of the effects to multiple pics at at once.

Going from 4 to 16G of system RAM is the biggest improvement many times over as compared to more VRAM anyway.

You'll want to tweak Photoshop. It takes 70% of system RAM by default, you know where to change that. You'll want to balance out what it uses and what other apps need, you don't want PS sucking down RAM it doesn't have to. Set it to 8G at first. Do a normal day or two of work, then doing "top" in Terminal check out the free RAM. If you have plenty of RAM still left you can allot more to Photoshop.

If you only have a few hundred MB of RAM free it may be a sign that PS is taking too much and starving other apps.

If it says you have plenty of RAM free, but there are 100's of thousands of pageouts, PS may need more. It will take a while but watching top and tweaking PS will get you to a good balance. My guess is for what you do 8G will be enough for PS to be set at though.

Also for reference you can use the Activity Monitor app to check out the RSIZE, sort by RSIZE, real size, to see how much apps are actually using.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/05/11 01:17 PM

As far as the Quad core vs Dual, the i3 will use 4 virtual cores to run more processes at once, which is a great boost over standard dual cores, whereas the quad i5 can't, although the i5 is a real 4 core. The i3 also runs at 3.2 GHz as compared to 2.7 GHz for the i5, so the 20% faster i3 offsets some of the lack of cores, it about makes up for 1 of the "missing" cores.

PS uses 4 cores but again with what you'll be doing I doubt you'd see any noticeable difference.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/09/11 06:25 PM

Thanks. You are a veritable fountain of mac knowledge.

The 16 gigs o' ram arrived today.

The last update on the iMac was Reno.. last Friday.

Tap tap tap....

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/10/11 06:10 AM

On the truck out for delivery..
Of course, I'm on a location shoot all day today.
Maybe i can at least swing by the studio later today and take a peek...lol.
This is all standard, customary/mandatory Mac excitement.

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/10/11 10:24 AM

cool grin

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/11/11 02:49 AM

May 10, 2011 7:02 PM
Delivery exception
POMPANO BEACH, FL
Customer not available or business closed
===

Uh.. yeah.. by 7:00 we have gone home. HellOOOooOOooOoooo. frown

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/11/11 06:01 AM

I pulled the trigger on this:

27" Refurb iMac 2.8 GHz Quad-Core i5
4 GB RAM
1 TB HD
1 GB ATI 5750

Refurb Apple TV

Refurb Airport Extreme

I still have the old Airport Extreme so I really needed to upgrade to the faster wireless N version and now that I have a plasma TV I wanted the ATV to really take advantage of it, really wanna do the Netflix thing. I should be set for a while. I still plan on getting an iPad and maybe upgrading my iPhone but I've spent enough for a while.

Can't wait to play some of my Steam games with 1 GB video RAM!!

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/11/11 06:12 AM

Very cool smile

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/11/11 12:12 PM

OK. Till now the most screen real estate I have had for my own has been a couple od 20" Apple LCDs.
There were a few times I had more at work... in the art dept. for a week or so at a time... but they weren't mine.
Having said that..

Damn.. this thing is big.. and beautiful!!
Amazing screen..

I set it up in the studio... but now have to return to work.
Grrr....

Re: Rumor is NEW iMACS this week- May 3rd ! - 05/11/11 12:29 PM

That 27" display is awesome. If one has vertigo it can be a nuisance though. grin