Will the fifth time be a charm?

Posted by: Jashue

Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/29/11 06:33 AM

I just got back from my local Apple store where I waited in line for the forth time to secure an AT&T 64 gig iPad 2. The forth time.

I had a good feeling about it today too. When I arrived this morning at around 7:45 there were only about fifteen people in front of me-- so I thought my odds were good. I wasn't so lucky and I went home empty handed again. I felt particularly needled when the store employee handing out tickets told me (and others) to try again tomorrow.

It wouldn't be so bad were it not for the fact that I've been waiting for this thing to come out for a year, and its launch corresponded with my having received my federal tax return-- a situation which seemed almost serendipitous.

My frustration is acute.

Why, I wonder, does my local store get only 15 to 25 units a day? I happened to be in the mall last night to ask a question about the new Apple TV and I asked the sales associate if they had received an ample amount to be distributed the following morning (today). He wouldn't tell me anything, of course and I felt like begging him to give me a clue so that I wouldn't waste any more of my time. What's left of my dignity prevented me from that though.

I get it: The product is in high demand. Something about this isn't right however, and it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

It's definitely not AAPL's finest moment.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/29/11 06:57 AM

If they are in such short supply, they should have limited the purchase to one or two per person.
And not spread it to places like Wal Mart or Radio Shack until demand eased up.
Bad form on Apple's part.
Of course, you could order online and wait… But where's the fun in that?
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/29/11 07:02 AM

Sorry to say, it's like this for many popular Apple releases and has been for quite some time. FWIW, the peeps in the store don't know how many units they are getting until the shipment shows-up so begging probably would have been fruitless anyways ;-)

I understand your frustration; having gone through iGadget releases myself it does test one's patience ;-) Once you *do* get your iPad2 I somehow think the frustration will become but a dim memory (or perhaps cherished rite-of-passage?)

In any case, hang in there!

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/29/11 07:21 AM

I did order one online-- on March 16th. I've been given a projected shipping date of April 20th. That seems like a long, long time from now and it seemed much longer when I placed the order two weeks ago. I'd be thrilled to get one now and cancel my web order.

Yeah, I'm being impatient, I know. It's just that when I decided to pull the trigger on this thing I wanted it THEN. Heck, I'll admit to being downright childish about it. But given I'm sharing this experience on an Apple enthusiast website I figure I'm in good company.

I had pretty much resigned myself to the end-of-the-month until last night when while in the Apple store I played with one for an extended period of time. I gotta say it: the device is pretty darn cool. It is in fact, cooler than it should be. It just feels good to hold.

When I made the decision to get the thing my angle was a pretty utilitarian one (excitement about getting a new gadget notwithstanding). I figured that it would be a superior means of surfing the internet to my aging George Forman Grill-hot MBP (that has a battery that lasts only an hour and a half at this juncture in its life). Definitely utilitarian. In fact, I scoffed at Steve Jobs' description of the device as "magical" as marketing bull$hit. I was wrong and Steve was right. The thing is really pretty awesome.

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/30/11 04:34 AM

Okay...
I'm in line... Again... I've been here since 6:30 this morning and I'm fifth in line. Could this be the day?

I hate to say it, but this has become a crusade. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/30/11 05:17 AM

LOL...
3 words.

Reality
Distortion
Field

You have got it bad. laugh
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/30/11 04:28 PM

You seriously need to get a life, Jashue! smile
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 03/31/11 03:59 AM

You are lucky to get it most likely this week.Where I live in the Philippines they only have the ipad original.They are so behind the times here it is a joke.Maybe perhaps in 2 months time they will get the new ipad 2 in.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 04/01/11 04:26 AM

so you are keeping us hanging for 2 days?? Did you get it or not?

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 04/02/11 04:22 AM

Tell us yes or no if you obtained you i pad?

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 04/02/11 04:56 AM

It's a bit sad actually.
When he found out that they STILL didn't have one for him... he went ballistic, trashing the store.. waving a gun around... screaming obscenities in the name of Jobs...

He's in a mental health facility right now...
It's a nice place... with rainbows, clouds and iPads on the walls....

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 04/02/11 07:30 AM

Yeah, Jerry, I got one. Been loving it too, when I've had the time to play with it. I was so busy with work last week that I had very little time to really test it out then but that fact has been happily remedied this weekend.

As for the mental health thing... Well, clearly I've misrepresented myself with regard to that subject-- a phenomenon which I suspect is far more common on these boards than I would like. I am an intense person... I'm okay with that! Alas, it's better to be that way than to be dull!

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 04/02/11 07:58 AM

The screen on this thing is brilliant. As I stated before, I waited a long time for this device-- which is tough for me, a typical early adopter. When it finally came out I was very disappointed to learn that it didn't have the retina display found in the iPhone 4. To be honest, it was almost a deal breaker. But having it now, and seeing it as far more brilliant than my three year old 15 inch MBP with matte screen I don't pine for the retina display at all. Reading the Times this morning I had as an enjoyable experience with a technological device as I have ever had-- and I'm not bothering with the dedicated Times app either-- it looks superb right on Safari.

It's fast. Wicked fast. It seems to render web pages faster than Safari on my Mac. Could that really be possible, I wonder?

A lot of the apps designed for the iPhone don't look too good scaled up to the iPads screen size, but in time I suppose the updates will role in (come on Facebook, get on it!). Those that have been accordingly adjusted look fabulous.
The extra real-estate had breathed new life into apps that weren't so useable on the phone. I have a tv guide app that is now an absolute pleasure to use (What's On). Others were similarly improved by the larger size.

The keyboard is actually a lot easier to use than I expected. I like the auto correct feature and find myself wishing Safari on my Mac had it. Of course, there are times when it makes annoying mistakes, but generally speaking the good outweighs the bad. I find the only way to comfortably and accurately type on it is to sit with the thing on my lap. I don't see any other position working for me at all.

As other impressions hit me, I'll report them in!

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 04/02/11 11:35 AM

Quote:
As for the mental health thing... Well, clearly I've misrepresented myself with regard to that subject-- a phenomenon which I suspect is far more common on these boards than I would like. I am an intense person... I'm okay with that! Alas, it's better to be that way than to be dull!

Twas only a joke...hehehe...

Glad you like your new toy.
I just ordered a refurb 8GB iTouch for my 2 year old so she will leave our IP4s alone!!
Is that spoiled...or what?

Re: Will the fifth time be a charm? - 04/03/11 04:45 AM

I am glad for you.Enjoy it and have a lot of pleasure and happiness also from your i pad.Jerry