The more I think about it ~

Posted by: Lea

The more I think about it ~ - 01/31/11 08:37 PM

The more I like the idea. OK, so the slam is on Apple's design ~ I think. But the money quote in this extremely short excerpt is pretty cool ~

Gopnik concludes that the latest Apple products are anything but modern. Instead, he suggests, "they could be the first hints of a design so new, it barely exists."

I'm too sleepy to follow the back link. Y'all let me know how it really reads. wink
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/01/11 06:36 AM

It looks more like a backhanded praise of Apple's designs, since he states that the form factor is so minimal that it doesn't get in the way of function.
Posted by: carp

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/01/11 01:14 PM

Lea
Apple designs are (industrial) as simple as you can get. Which to me makes them beautiful.

This author does not get it laugh

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/01/11 01:38 PM

I agree, carp, completely. I love the form/function concept as it applies to just about everything. Apple designs have always been so sleek and elegant. What's that Japanese (I think) saying? Less is more. Apple nails it.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/01/11 02:52 PM

Quote:
What's that Japanese (I think) saying? Less is more.

More or less....

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/01/11 03:45 PM

Right, Lea

Minimalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term minimalism is also used to describe a trend in design and ... Minimalist design has been highly influenced by Japanese traditional design and ... Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe adopted the motto "Less is more" to describe ...

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/01/11 06:46 PM

"More or less"

laugh laugh laugh

Sould've seen it coming . . . laugh
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/02/11 06:29 PM

Quite frankly, with the exception of the iMac, I find Apple's products to be quite ugly and cumbersome right now. But the reason I love them is that they're easy to use, and "just work."

I find the iPhone to be kind of "blah" and a bit uncomfortable to use as a typical phone - but it works just beautifully.

The MacPro is about the biggest, heaviest, clunkiest piece of hardware I've ever seen - but the power and ease of use is fantastic. I miss the Blue & White and Graphite G3/G4 cases.

The Mac Mini, while looking nice on a desk, is horrible for usability if you have it against a wall or on a middle shelf, you have to physically pull it out from against the wall or off the shelf in order to plug in a USB cable like a camera, etc.

Apple's products are "basic" in appearance, and anything but basic in functionality. At the end of the day, I could care less what it looks like, as long as it functions the way I want it to.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/03/11 03:28 AM

You never mentioned the MBP or MBA lines what is your opinion about them?

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/03/11 01:14 PM

I agree Giz, thats why they are industrial designs.

Mac Pro with the cheese grate - IMO still looks better than any Dell tower any day.
Posted by: DLC

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/07/11 02:25 PM

IF Apple's design is "NOT Modern", then everyone else's is Stone Age* !! wink

*About as sleek as Stone Henge ! laugh
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/07/11 03:35 PM

Stonehenge is a 33-megalith system, it won't run jcOS, but the open-source stuff works just fine on legacy hardware (and the graphics are beautiful).
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/07/11 07:41 PM

It's not Japanese, but they often take away something after they're 'finished'. It was either Mies Van der Rohe (sp?) or Le Corbusier, both architects. But, it is also true that often, in the handiwork of nonmasters, that less is just less.

I get the feeling that these guys ( as is often the case ) are guys who don't and can't design anything, but can sure write about it.

Ed

And don't forget, more is more smile unless one is moron than off smile

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/07/11 08:13 PM

Mies Van der Rohe ~ His buildings? Eh. He'll always be just another chair king to me. wink Now, Le Corbusier ~ Worlds more interesting. Me, I'm a Philip Johnson kinda MacBabe, even though I'll never live in glass houses. laugh

Disclaimer: LIttle Sister has a Master's in Architectural History. What I know about architecture is pretty much a product of accidental osmosis.

Anyway, the design thing ~ If I were to leave a comment back at the original link, I'd just have to go with snark ~ Those who can do, those who can't critique.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/08/11 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
Stonehenge is a 33-megalith system, it won't run jcOS, but the open-source stuff works just fine on legacy hardware (and the graphics are beautiful).

Curious..do you mean this jcOS?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jcos
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/08/11 05:31 AM

No, I think he's talking about Jesus Christ (JC).

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/09/11 06:05 PM

My next laptop will be a MBAir. I have the current MBPro and it's a bit uncomfortable to type on for long hours (due to the hard front edge and thickness of the body.

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/10/11 04:42 AM

I tried to type on the 11 inch MBA and was a joke to me. To small was the height and the screen to small.Good luck anyway.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/10/11 05:42 AM

You do know that they make a 13" MBA and that Gizmo didn't specify which one he was getting?

And, personally, I liked the 11" MBA.

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/10/11 04:43 PM

Not to mention john,

Apple makes a MBA (that air thingy) - that is much heavier , much thicker, much more memory, much more faster and has more external Ports.

I guess Apple calls them the MacBook and Mac Pro.

Maybe I am sooooo stupid I don't know the difference laugh

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/11/11 03:23 AM

To each his own

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/13/11 04:40 AM

Apple designs are very unique indeed. They remind me of a beautiful audio product called Mark Levinson which makes amplifiers,preamps,cd players.It is bold and makes a statement when you look at it especially the MBP line.

Re: The more I think about it ~ - 02/15/11 05:33 AM

I have the 13" MacBook Pro now. The screen size is great as a secondary computer I use to write, email, surf and do very light-duty graphics on. I probably wouldn't go for the 11" MBA - that screen is a bit too small.