BIG + for SSD storage

Posted by: DLC

BIG + for SSD storage - 12/29/10 10:33 AM

Amazingly FAST !!

Opening 48 Apps at once ! That's impressive!
Posted by: zwei

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/01/11 10:23 PM

No going back for me. SSD makes too much of a difference. It's the new "more RAM"
Posted by: Jim_

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/02/11 10:39 AM

Well it's not too often that I restart my computer, or open 48 apps at once. wink

Does it really make a difference in typical casual user day to day use? If one is just doing internet, word processing, viewing photos etc does it really make a difference? Is the cost worth it?

I can see how doing heavy graphics or crunching video would benefit for sure though.

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/03/11 09:41 AM

I'd definitely recommend it. No need to spend the extra cash to get a large SSD though. Get an 80 or 128GB max for your system/apps and then just store all your music/movies on an external or secondary platter based HD.

I'd take a system with 4GB RAM + SSD over one with 8GB any day of the week.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/03/11 11:54 AM

But doesn't the fact that your storage (Music, movies, large files, etc) are on a hard drive affect how quick an app opens?

For example, starting up itunes with music/movies on a separate HD. By having iTunes look in the other HD for the files, wouldn't that cause it to be the speed of the HD and not the SSD?

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/03/11 02:19 PM

It would be faster if you had room for those on the SSD, but you won't notice it in iTunes very much. It only has to load the database. Other apps like iMove and iPhoto would be affected more.

Put it this way, i've yet to hear someone go SSD and say they would go back to a standard HD. In a perfect world you could afford to put everything on one ...until then you just gotta speed up what you can.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/06/11 03:07 AM

In the new MBA is this truly a ssd drive or just a flash drive?

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/06/11 07:30 AM

It is a flash drive, not an SSD drive.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/06/11 03:40 PM

Hmmm, any practical considerations due to that difference?

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/06/11 06:06 PM

I don't know and actually I didn't know there was a difference until Jerry mentioned it and I looked on Apple's site.

Flash drives look like ram sticks. SSD's look like hard drives.

Flash:

Flash might be limited to 256GB right now, and SSD is up to 512GB
Posted by: carp

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/06/11 06:32 PM

Sorta did a quick look up.

SSD's are Flash base memories - so essentially they are the same.

However seems that SSD's are much simpler to wire together where as Flash needs extra transistors. Something like that.

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/09/11 04:51 AM

Some person in the apple store told me today there is no hard drive in the new MBA only this flash they are talking about.Is this true? I am confused thanks.Jerry

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/09/11 07:45 AM

That is true Jerry. You can't get an IDE hard drive in the MBA anymore and I suspect that it's going to be rarer in the MBP in the near future.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/09/11 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
That is true Jerry. You can't get an IDE hard drive in the MBA anymore and I suspect that it's going to be rarer in the MBP in the near future.

It's extremely difficult to find any IDE drives anymore. They are all sATA these days.

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/09/11 07:14 PM

IDE/Sata, whatever. The idea is that the laptops are going to go the SSD/Flash way.

Re: BIG + for SSD storage - 01/10/11 03:00 AM

Pretty soon I presume the HDD will be defunct and the new future will be the SSD or flash drive. Thanks