MacRumors says End of Feb
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New iPad - 12/07/10 12:28 PM

Announced Feb and ships April?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: New iPad - 12/07/10 01:57 PM

No, the link has this:

Quote:
The sources pointed out that the iPad 2 will ship as soon as the end of February in 2011.
Posted by: DLC

Re: New iPad - 12/07/10 05:00 PM

Anyone want to start a pot to pick the exact date ?
(they seem to be all over the place)

Contest closes Dec 31st 11:59PM 2010 !! laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New iPad - 12/07/10 07:27 PM

I can't wait 18,109 years though.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: New iPad - 12/07/10 08:12 PM

Sooooooo impatient!
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: New iPad - 12/07/10 09:01 PM

What do you think is a good asking price for 32GB no 3G on craigslist? $500? $400? I expressly got the 32GB no wifi for Christmas presents for my girls as I heard they were the most popular model, therefore maybe the easiest resale ( but perhaps not necessarily so ).

This kind of device, a tablet, is pretty crippled ( when you consider all the stuff they pimp this kind of device for ) if it doesn't at least have a chat camera.

On the other hand, it's pretty worthless for chat until there's a Google/gmail video chat app/plugin for it, as a lot of the world doesn't do Apple/Facetime. Some Apple people have been able to pin down with a tapdance about their concerns over third party video chat done right, improperly-wrought-app bandwidth inefficiency a disapproval no no, etc.

As you can tell, this video chat issue is an annoyance with me ( video chat is a big deal with teen daughters, however, not all friends all do Apple/Facetime ).

Ed

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 04:35 AM

I bet if you put it up on ebay, you would get at least close to what it retails for. Craigslist always seems to have a bunch of scam ones.
Posted by: zwei

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 05:25 AM

April 1 smile

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 12:07 PM

Well, Apple is selling the refurbished wifi model even cheaper now I guess to clear out stock.

64GB wifi model for $599!
Posted by: carp

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Announced Feb and ships April?

I bet you are close.

I mean late April or early March - Announcement.

Can you imagine how pissed people would be to buy an iPad for Xmas. And they ship a new upgrade a few months later. So announcement - then 3 months later the shipping date.

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 01:58 PM

I still think Jan. announcement, shipping in Feb.

Carp, it's the same as any piece of technology. Things get upgraded. No sense in getting pissed if you didn't do your research.

Obviously those that buy for Christmas are thinking that the current version of the iPad is good enough.

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 02:14 PM

No sense in getting pissed if you didn't do your research.

John thats not the point - you have to understand retail business.

You just CANNOT announce , upgrades or Sale Prices back to back - - Unless you are willing to give back concessions. Apple did this just last year. What was that a 100 buck rebate? ?

Think about a million people buying iPads for Xmas <-- Apple says --> Guess What SUCKERs we got a brand new upgraded iPad in January. Ha Ha Ha , evil laugh laugh It just does not work that way and would piss millions of people off from Apple.

Every notice how Apple paces its cycles off ? ? Let alone any retailer.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 03:17 PM

That's the biggest reason I'm glad Apple broke away from MacWorld events.
Couldn't buy for Xmas because January MW. They lost sales.

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
That's the biggest reason I'm glad Apple broke away from MacWorld events.
Couldn't buy for Xmas because January MW. They lost sales.

Ya just wanna wait it out. = Lost sales. Keep in mind that Apple really has a huge SPOT Light directed on them to produce something biannually.

I mean that MS or even Dell - are NOT expected to even come up with a upgrade or even something new for the new 5 years. laugh I am exaggerating but you see where I am coming from.

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
I mean that MS or even Dell - are NOT expected to even come up with a upgrade or even something new for the new 5 years. laugh I am exaggerating but you see where I am coming from.

It takes M$ and Dell that long just to copy Apple. laugh

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Originally Posted By: carp

It takes M$ and Dell that long just to copy Apple. laugh

LOL

More so it only takes the Chinese a few months - To rip off any body laugh I guess since that we make everything there to begin with, , it is really not that hard to walk away with the whole (she bang) while moping the floors at the same time.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 07:39 PM

Quote:
Ya just wanna wait it out. = Lost sales.

It's still happening. "The next version will be better".
Apple has, at most, 6 months of great sales before geeks wait for the next version.

But the average consumers I know? Meaning everybody
They don't care.
It's popular.
That's what carries Apple through the next 6 months.

What a great strategy.
wink
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: New iPad - 12/08/10 09:28 PM

Well, I don't see a real compelling reason to immediately upgrade.

The big deals are the cameras, but using the iPad to take pictures is kinda 'on crack' - Who would do that? - You'd use your camphone/iPhone/whatever or nice little Lumix or a GF-1/2 whatever. The camphones are more convenient and the real cameras take better pictures.

As far as the chat camera, you're stuck in the Apple universe of video correspondence. I don't video chat except to telestuff something, and then that is on private Jabber networks - Other than that little piece of work stuff, I don't video chat, except perhaps with my girls, and they like gmail/Google.

It seems pretty worthless until you can video chat with Yahoo and MSN ( old farts ) and gmail/Google ( young people's choice ), so until Apple approves a Google app ( or better, a gmail plugin for Safari, then you could stay in gmail, Google VOIP, etc - but that will never happen ), there's not a hugely urgent reason to upgrade to the latest and greatest iPad.

However, I am going to upgrade my girls' iPads, despite no real need or usefulness for, and hope for the best regarding the video chat business.

Ed

Re: New iPad - 12/09/10 06:53 AM

Re: New iPad - 12/09/10 01:13 PM

Right - Ed

The big deals are the cameras, but using the iPad to take pictures is kinda 'on crack'

My opinion is not for taking photos - I mean use a real camera for that.

Like I mentioned more for video conferencing - (Enterprise) solutions. I think Apple should be more focus on that, instead on just consumer apps.
Posted by: lasolar

Re: New iPad - 12/21/10 08:10 AM

I can't await the new iPad but right now I am waiting to buy myself the new BlackBerry Pad because I have a BlackBerry Phone as well and love it - I think I am going to compare the iPad with the BlackBerry Pad to find out which one really is better, but of course the Apple iPad was the first of its generation so it is kind of a milestone and a breakthrough.
Posted by: DLC

Re: New iPad - 12/28/10 08:36 PM

Many people I work with know I love Apple, so when they asked about the iPad for Xmas I told them one would be out most likely in Feb-March 2011 (but NO firm date). Most said it didn't matter, they needed one for the Holidays !! I think most people are savvy enough to realize that current technology is the "best" for 3-6 months at most. If they release in late Feb, March, or early April, I doubt many of the Christmas shoppers will be POed... they've had theirs for 2-4 months ! (and a re having a ball with them). grin

I suspect the speed will double, the Memory and storage will double for the same price as the old one, and they will have a camera... those will be the major differences and most won't be that upset theirs is a little slower, is smaller memory , etc... NOW. If they bought an old one 1-2 weeks before the new came out - they might be disgusted, but 2-4 months- naw ! wink