Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page?

Posted by: six_of_one

Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 09:27 AM

Ideas? Theories?

First thing I thought of was the Beatles finally being available. Though honestly that might be a little underwhelming given Apple rarely devotes the entire homepage to exclusively promoting one thing ...

I anticipate Steve will reveal himself to be the benevolent space alien we all know him to be ;-)

At least we won't have to wait long to find out =)
Posted by: DLC

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 10:18 AM

Oh that !

Steve is going to announce Apple is buying Microsoft (they're really jealous of Windows 7) !! laugh

minus the howling monkeyman though !
(trading in his gazillion shares of MS for 10 AAPL!) grin

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 11:10 AM

Heh-heh! They do know how to hype things up, don't they?

iTunes is the new Finder. laugh
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 11:23 AM

iTunes is going to replace the CS suite and allow you to pay online bills.
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 11:41 AM

Probably not that far off smile

Apple IDs work everywhere now with everything ( or will work eveywhere with everything ).

So, something like that smile

Ed
Posted by: carp

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 11:45 AM

They found another way to get your money easier laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
They found another way to get your money easier laugh
Now that one sounds plausible. grin
Posted by: Mike

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 03:51 PM

Yup...Finally the Beatles are coming to iTunes . The leak is out! But who doesn't have an extensive Beatles collection yet?
Posted by: trey

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 06:14 PM

meh.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 06:21 PM

I agree...that better not be the announcement.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 06:56 PM

Double meh.
Beatles schmeatles.

Their music was absolutely fabulous and wonderful and changed the scenery of rock and roll. But can we move on. And, yes, I'm 48, so it's not like I'm a completely different generation.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 07:20 PM

Maybe this is for future generations?

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/15/10 09:32 PM

Yeah, that's pretty underwhelming. Every hardcore Beatles fan has already ripped their disks to lossy or lossless.

What we don't have and will pay for ( unlike MobileMe ) is something cool and useful, to be able to stream and sync our media ( like the Beatles ) from the cloud to any device. Now, that will be exciting.

Ed

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:28 AM

Well, I never had enough money to buy every Beatles record, so now I might get a chance to fill out my meager collection. This also means that Apple, Inc and Apple Studios/Records have buried the hatchet so to speak.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:34 AM

Beatles is confirmed (apparently), but I hope that's just the icing on the cake - cause as already stated, Beatles fans already have the music on their computer. And if they're true Beatles fans like my wife is, they also have all the bootleg songs that were never released on a record as well. Those songs will never be made available online in a legit store.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:42 AM

The day the reality distortion field died...

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:57 AM

"We're re-releasing the world's most popular and most re-released music catalog today. Think different."
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:04 AM

Gotta go with a huge "meh" on this one ... as I feared: underwhelming.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:04 AM

I think I just heard a million yawns.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:09 AM

A million and one. sleep

The only one excited is SJ, more revenue.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:10 AM

Well, it is momentous in that The Beatles are, perhaps, the only catalog that hasn't been offered in digital format and that Apple finally got it after, who knows, how many years?
Posted by: Lea

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:20 AM

A millions and two, and counting. They were just a band. Granted, apparently an important band to a lot of folks, but I hang with that small and dedicated "they were really overrated" crowd.

Somebody over at ApplePR needs to rethink this kind of breathless thingie. Make it count, don't make us yawn.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:23 AM

Quote:
They were just a band.

They revolutionized Rock as we knew it. Not just another band. They were the first.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:24 AM

Quote:
but I hang with that small and dedicated "they were really overrated" crowd.

Count me in.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Well, it is momentous in that The Beatles are, perhaps, the only catalog that hasn't been offered in digital format and that Apple finally got it after, who knows, how many years?

**COUGH** AC/DC **COUGH**

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:49 AM

LOL! I never got into their brand of "music." laugh
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:54 AM

I'm glad the Beatles are on there finally. I am a huge fan...but yeah...I already have everything they've ever done. Including the rare and awesome Christmas recordings. But I don't see this as that big of a deal nowadays but in the 60s they literally changed the world with music.

AC/DC still isn't on there because they want to sell entire albums rather than singles because the album format is "art". I could understand this with Pink Floyd...but AC/DC? Gimme a break. I haven't liked them since Bon Scott died. The single format has been around since the dinosaurs. Who are they kidding?
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
"…Apple rarely devotes the entire homepage to exclusively promoting one thing…"

At one point, they had an entire channel on the iTMS—with a full page image of the man himself—devoted to promoting the fact that they had the entire Frank Zappa collection.

Then his idiot wife Gail decided that the legacy was so special that she and the Zappa Faily Trust should be paid a higher percentage than everybody else.

Apple doen't like being strong-armed. They cancelled their agreement to carry Zappa's music. Stupid Gail—she has NO clue about the mechanics of selling music these days.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 08:28 AM

Wow.
Such negativity being posted here.
It's almost as if you were all… OLD.

Would you be happier if it was the Kid Rock catalog?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 08:32 AM

Justin. . . JUSTIN . . . JUSTIN

wink

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 08:37 AM

Quote:
At one point, they had an entire channel on the iTMS—with a full page image of the man himself—devoted to promoting the fact that they had the entire Frank Zappa collection.

Then his idiot wife Gail decided that the legacy was so special that she and the Zappa Faily Trust should be paid a higher percentage than everybody else.

Apple doen't like being strong-armed. They cancelled their agreement to carry Zappa's music. Stupid Gail—she has NO clue about the mechanics of selling music these days.

Wow, I didn't realize they'd taken it down. The Zappa family are a bunch of bitches.

Did you watch that documentary I told you about? See what I mean about how Dweezil comes out looking a little... well, creepily obsessed with his dad's stuff?

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 08:43 AM

Hi Trey,
What Zappa documentary is that?
I'd like to check it out.
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: trey
Wow, I didn't realize they'd taken it down. The Zappa family are a bunch of bitches.

It's all Gail's doing. Dweezil absolutely realizes the power of the internet and connecting with fans, and the way rare vs. infinite goods works. Gail would rather sell at $2 per song (I just picked that number out of the air) to one person rather than $1 per song to 100 people.

Did you watch that documentary I told you about? See what I mean about how Dweezil comes out looking a little... well, creepily obsessed with his dad's stuff?

No, I completely forgot to watch it. If you could post the URL again I'd appreciate it.

Dweezil may be obsessed with his Pop's material, in a musical way, and that's fine. It deserves to be obsessed over, and performed well. But Gail has decided that FZ's recorded material is so precious that it MUST be worth more than everybody else's recordings. She TOTALLY doesn't get the new business model.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter

**COUGH** AC/DC **COUGH**

**cough** TOOL **cough**

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 09:49 AM

Quote:

Count me in.

And me.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Wow.
Such negativity being posted here.
It's almost as if you were all… OLD.

I wouldn't care if it was the ENTIRE recording of all music out there...it's just not that big of a deal for me.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 10:33 AM

Quote:
Hi Trey,
What Zappa documentary is that?
I'd like to check it out.

Quote:
No, I completely forgot to watch it. If you could post the URL again I'd appreciate it.

This. It's also on Netflix for instant watch and several day DVD copy.

Maybe I'm being overly critical, but to me, seeing him obsess over he mixing boards and having this EXTREMELY INTIMATE knowledge of every sound in his dad's tracks is weird. I mean... I understand it as a way to connect with his father, but it just seems a little sad or something. I think I'm WAY over-analyzing it.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 11:16 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't care if it was the ENTIRE recording of all music out there...it's just not that big of a deal for me.

I have to agree. The only songs I've ever purchased from iTunes is when they had the Pepsi bottlecap giveaway the first year iTunes went online.

I still purchase CD's and rip them. blush

Cd's… How… Quaint. grin

But still, iTunes is the #1 music retail store, so The Beatles are a big deal. For future generations.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 11:51 AM

I would, but I still don't think it would justify the "breathless" stuff. Definitely, love Kid.

( . . . waits for huge howls of "talk about overrated," but it's all a matter of personal taste, so howl on. laugh )

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Quote:

Count me in.

And me.

And me too laugh

I remember my sisters almost fainted when the Beatles was on the Ed Sullivan Show (B/W) <-- I thought so what ? ?

Then when Elvis was filming a movie here, we just so happen to drive by a beach that Elvis was hanging out on - My sisters dang near jumped out of a moving car <-- So what?

Both over rated laugh

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 12:04 PM

Musical taste is such a funny thing. I like about two Kid Rock songs, 3 Tool songs, a handful of AC/DC, Zappa's Apostrophe, Over Night Sensation and any of his guitar-only albums like Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, etc., tons of Beatles and on and on...but yeah none of it leaves me breathless or anything. I knew if it was the Beatles announcement that both Apple and The Beatles would be railed on all day all over the Net. And so they are. I'll bet on CNET or Endgadget it will eventually end up in a Android vs. iOS flame war no matter what...even though it isn't even related. laugh

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 12:05 PM

The only songs I've ever purchased from iTunes is when they had the Pepsi bottlecap giveaway the first year iTunes went online.

No kidding - all my iTunes songs I have came from Pepsi laugh

Now where that photo of me that Sarg made a gaff on laugh

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 02:41 PM

After Apple spent how many years pursuing the Beatles' catalog, did anyone really think that they would just add the music to iTMS and leave it at that? C'mon.

And, by the way, all you Philistines who don't like the Beatles--suck a couple of lemons, would ya.

wink

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 02:49 PM

Quote:
And, by the way, all you Philistines who don't like the Beatles--suck a couple of lemons, would ya.

Yeah, what yoyo said!

I can't beleive there are people out there that don't like 'em.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

wink

"I have a theory about liking popular music. As far as I can tell, the best music is made when you're between 15 and 25. Between 25 and 35 music gets progressively worse. By the time you're older than 35, new music sucks big time. With exceptions here and there, to be sure."

Citrus...yummy! smile
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 03:01 PM

The only songs I've ever purchased from iTunes is when they had the Pepsi bottlecap giveaway the first year iTunes went online.

No kidding - all my iTunes songs I have came from Pepsi laugh

Now where that photo of me that Sarg made a gaff on laugh

I am there with you with only one song purchase ever!

As I got older, I just listen to my XM radio when I drive. It has a 6-CD changer that has never had a CD in it.

Heck even old Spongebob is now relegated to keeping the cats off the computer!

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 03:23 PM

Et tu brute!

But my words are golden, drjohn. Most of the Philistines are my coevals. Not quite your age, to be sure, but . . . laugh

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 03:41 PM

coevals

cool New word. Thank you. cool

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

coevals

cool New word. Thank you. cool
yoyo makes me hit the dictionary on daily basis. If we get yoyo, Max, papa, and steveg all into the same thread I learn more new words and phrases in one thread than I normally learn all year. Of course it takes me ages to read the thread, always flipping back to the dictionary. grin

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 04:08 PM

What can I say--I love language. Can't say enough about it. wink
Posted by: Papa

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 04:40 PM

Go wash your Hudson and listen to some Red Nichols and his Five Pennies, you old coot. grin

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 04:46 PM

If I still had that Hudson I could join some car shows. smile

grin
Posted by: Papa

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 04:55 PM

I have some Red Nichols and Al Jolson records I play on the Victrola from time to time. My father-in-law drove a Hudson till the body fell off the frame. The body putty could not hold everything together.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 05:49 PM

Quote:

Hey yoyo,
I just realized where I've seen that Calvin signature of yours.
Ever seen Hard Days Night?
You know the part where George is mugging for the camera with different expressions?
Calvin is channeling George!
wink

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 05:51 PM

Hey Trey, thanks for the link.
I have a couple Classic Albums documentaries of Pink Floyd.
Good stuff.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:15 PM

On second thought, getting the Beatles is a huge deal, brilliant.

But for the symbolic value, and that symbolic value has a lot of cachet towards any further plans, and actually towards further legitimizing digital music/media.

The Beatles are one of the killer bankable franchises, ( probably notoriously ) trepidatious about treading toxic digital waters smile ( Sorry, couldn't resist ). They're the most beloved musical franchise of the last fifty years. Their franchise is solid, stable, enduring. They wouldn't enter into something that would take that down.

This legitimizes digital music ( well, maybe only for the Apple way ). If it's good for the Beatles, it's good for everybody.

Pretty watershed moment, really.

And, if Apple does indeed catch a clue and build a streaming media service, this could help clear the way for licensing ( the big hangup ).

So, upon reflection, this is a huge deal, despite the irrelevance of the merits or not of their music - This wasn't about that. Well, maybe it was, but the fallout, intended or not, is huge.

Pretty big deal. Good at the end of the day, for Philistines and non-Philistines alike smile .

Ed

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:26 PM

Not sure what Lava got to do with it - anyway keep on laugh nice word but just not in the flow so to speak.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:29 PM

I dunno Ed.

Like someone said before a - big dollar late - maybe for the next generation ? ? or two after. H3ll maybe 20 years from now ? ?

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 06:38 PM

You don't get it. That part doesn't matter.

This is the part that matters:

If it's good for the Beatles, the most beloved, solid, enduring, bankable, killer franchise of the last fifty years, it must be good for everybody.

Ed

Fitting really, as the Beatles revolutionized recording technique, and now in a perhaps more indirect and subtle way, they'll again revolutionize the music industry ( well, maybe more contributory towards Apple's plans, but very key nevertheless ). It's precisely because they're an old farts band, not any of that new stuff, kids and the internet, ripping off the industry's hard-ripped-off money - This is for executives that think like dinosaurs, well, more of a cross between a dinosaur and a lemming or sheep. The Beatles franchise shepherds them into the fold.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:10 PM

Simply
This should have happened 10 years ago . I guess better late than never.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:42 PM

Hi Carp.
The only example I can give in defense of The Beatles.
Last week, standing in line at the supermarket checkout stand, there was a little girl, maybe three years old, sitting in a shopping basket singing Yellow Submarine.
Everyone around me smiled and went "Awww…"
The little boy in the stand next to me started to sing to.
It was a great moment.

A week before Beatles came to iTunes.

The Hippie in me says "Far Fskin' Out".
As cheesy as it may be, somehow, someway, The Beatles hit a chord that that is timeless.

Their diversity can appeal to so many genres, it's staggering.

And they did all of this in a mere nine years.

Sorry to be defensive, but the greatest music ever was when I was when i was nine years old.

Quote:
"I have a theory about liking popular music. As far as I can tell, the best music is made when you're between 15 and 25. Between 25 and 35 music gets progressively worse. By the time you're older than 35, new music sucks big time. With exceptions here and there, to be sure."

Sorry Dr, John.
I would have to add 3-8 and 9-14 to that quote.
wink

And who's it by, anyway?
I love it.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 07:54 PM

Well, the cloud's really a new utility. That's what's going to happen. It will be utilified ( in the most important place, in the mass's perceptions of it ), like AC made a utility out of electricity ( and I guess, virtualization, the leaps in processing, bandwidth, architecture and topology, etc is like the AC ) transforming electricity from DC networks to an AC utility ( from pre-utility mainframes-terminals, networked minis, networked PCs, the thin client stuff, PCs, workstations, etc - all pre-utility ). The cloud is a utility. Stuff moves to utilities - It's just the way that works. With the utility, computing moves to the cloud, to the utility. You don't make your own electricity - You get it from the grid. Simple. Easy. Cheap. Efficient. You get your natural gas from a utility, your water. Your sewage dumps into one. UTILITIES.

The cloud is an important new utility. Apple is creating new media utilities, or should be.

So, this Beatles thing is pretty key to Apple, to help make the business case for streaming media.

So, with the cloud, a utility that people don't even get is a utility, yet - It's not ten years too late. It's right on time for the Apple utility. I think that's what may have been happening with Apple, they've been morphing into a media utility, by accident or design, and people have instinctively/whatever responded as they do with other utilities, they've signed on. Forget web applications, the cloud, the internet, merits, whatever - That's missing the picture - It's about utilities. Utilities ultimately win, of course. Google is becoming a utility. Apple is becoming one. Microsoft doesn't have a clue. Facebook will never be a utility. Twitter may be slowly defining a new utility. Utilities that run on the mother utility of all, the cloud. Steve needs to forget that Sony nonsense - Companies like Sony don't become utilities. Apple is what they are, a utility.

This is new stuff - It's not ten years too late.

Ed

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek

Sorry Dr, John.
I would have to add 3-8 and 9-14 to that quote.
wink

And who's it by, anyway?
I love it.

That esteemed wordsmith, Yoyo52!

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 08:53 PM

Hahaha, this reddit is funny:

Kid Rock is preventing his music from being sold on iTunes. To whom should I write to ensure this does not change. smile

Comments:

As for everyone else, he says, "Download it illegally, I don’t care. I want you to hear my music so I can play live."

Reminds me of an Immortal Technique show I went to. The crowd was all riled up by the time he made it out onto the stage. His first words were: "Who here bought my cds?" (crowd cheers) "You're [censored] morons! Pirate that [censored], and save your money to come to the shows!" Brilliant.

Smart businessman.

Ed

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/16/10 10:00 PM

Quote:
That esteemed wordsmith…

Damn.
I would have sworn it was Kanye West.

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/17/10 03:37 AM

Not sure what Lava got to do with it - anyway keep on laugh nice word but just not in the flow so to speak.

It was perfectly in the flow. Read the definition agin.. it's doesn't have anything to do with lava...lol.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/18/10 03:25 AM

Why don't you ever mention one of the greatest artists that created rock and roll Elvis Presley?

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/18/10 05:44 AM

Perhaps because this thread is about adding the Beatles' catalog to iTMS? Elvis has been on there ab ovo.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/19/10 04:51 AM

When was Elvis on i tunes? Thanks like to know this

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/19/10 05:22 AM

He currently is on iTunes. Don't know when he was added, but they have 135 albums!

Re: Soooo ... anybody notice the Apple home page? - 11/19/10 11:05 AM

Must have been about 5 years now ? ? There was not a big hoopla over it, just a few (news) statements and that about it. I think Pricilla had that control, over the media , I mean?