Sarge was right...

Posted by: John Rougeux

Sarge was right... - 11/10/10 07:45 AM

Gartner: Android Tops iOS in 3Q 2010 Global Smartphone Market Share

Quote:
Gartner today released its data to address that question, revealing a tremendous Android surge that saw the platform leap to second place behind Symbian with over 20 million units sold during the third quarter and grab a 25.5% share of the global smartphone market. Apple slipped slightly to 16.7% of the market from 17.1% in the year-ago quarter
Posted by: carp

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/10/10 11:19 AM

I also was saying that Android was going to take Apple by the end of the year.
After all Android is on different phones and with different carriers - shear numbers game and common sense.

Symbian however those figure are not true numbers.

Symbian does not have a true smart phone as of yet, in the same league as Android and IOS

My cheap arse Nokia runs the Symbian OS but no where near a smart phone.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/11/10 03:15 PM

In a couple years time even the low-end phones will be running android. I don't think many of us expected the iPhone to sell more units than several hundred phones combined.

Why people want to have a face-off between a phone and a platform is beyond me.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/12/10 06:50 AM

It's the old M$ vs Apple argument: More = better (not!)
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/12/10 11:43 AM

Now you're starting to have iPhone like sales with single Android phones however, like the Galaxy S series from Samsung, which I believe have sold around 8 million phones. Helps that the Galaxy is available on just about every wireless carrier.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/12/10 12:16 PM

And that's a valid comparison. Anxious to see what happens once Apple gets on Verizon and all those people don't have to settle for android anymore wink
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/12/10 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: zwei
And that's a valid comparison. Anxious to see what happens once Apple gets on Verizon and all those people don't have to settle for android anymore wink

Or the rumor that Apple is putting in a chip that will enable it to be on most/any carriers.. if that's true... Blammo!!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-iphon...ver-you-2010-10

Edit: added link

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/12/10 04:04 PM

Well Not really for example on Verizon, , features like multi tasking will not work on that system CDMA. Just to name one.

Go back to the beginning one big reason Apple liked AT&T was because it was set for (visual voice mail) Apples most touted feature at that time.

Bottom line;
Opening up iPhone to many carriers is a supper great thing - However available features will very greatly. The average shopper would not know shiit, however a iPhone user shopping for a different carrier would pick the stuff up.

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/13/10 03:32 AM

I didn't say anything about features working or not working. I'm talking about that if they put in a new sim chip that is programmable.. then it will work with lots of carriers and the iPhones numbers would go up drastically.

I have no idea what you are referring to.....
The iPhone has hundreds of features.. if a couple don't work with certain carriers... no big deal.
If my carrier was CDMA based and I couldn't get VVM on a new iPhone, it wouldn't stop me from getting an iPhone. It doesn't stop all the people on CDMA now.

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/13/10 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
Well Not really for example on Verizon, , features like multi tasking will not work on that system CDMA. Just to name one.

Go back to the beginning one big reason Apple liked AT&T was because it was set for (visual voice mail) Apples most touted feature at that time.

Okay... what??!!??

Carp, my Droid has multitasking. It plays AAC files over bluetooth to my stereo in cubed, while navigating or displaying GPS maps, while sending text messages or phone calls I dictate by voice just about every day I drive home. That's called multitasking.

I believe what you are thinking is the iphones ability to be on a call and receive an email.

It also has visual voice mail, most Verizon smart phones do.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/13/10 07:45 AM

Pay no attention to Carp... that island coffee has finally fried his brain - nothing he has said for the last 6 months makes any sense at all. wink

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/13/10 12:29 PM

Carp, my Droid has multitasking.

I didn't say Droid - I was talking about IOS

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/13/10 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Pay no attention to Carp... that island coffee has finally fried his brain - nothing he has said for the last 6 months makes any sense at all. wink

I dunno thats what I am hearing on the streets from real people - what dream are you living in ? ? laugh

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/14/10 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
I didn't say Droid - I was talking about IOS

No, you specifically said
Quote:
"Well Not really for example on Verizon, , features like multi tasking will not work on that system CDMA"

Multitasking has nothing to do with what network any particular phone is on, it's a feature of the OS it's running.

Again, I believe you were talking about the ability of the iPhone or other phones on AT&T to make a voice call and do data transfer simultaneously, which only phones that take advantage of VoRA on Verizon can do (like the push to talk phones).

Also with the next revision of Android, all Google voice calls will be using data only, so you won't even need minutes.

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/14/10 05:15 AM

Sarge was right...

Was there ever any doubt???

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/14/10 11:28 AM

I dunno guys

All I know is friends here with iPhone will not move from AT&T to Verizon due to certain features that Verizon CDMA will not provide - such as multitasking.

As they say with AT&T - you call me and I need directions, you can check Google Maps and give me that info. With CDMA you would have to hang up and call me back.

I guess if you wanna check that out go and search yourselves there is an article G4 -vs- CDMA, what features will be missing.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/14/10 01:26 PM

Carp, what you're describing is not multitasking - it's just a mistake in the language describing the capability of the network. Multitasking has to do with the OS running on the hardware - nothing to do with the network carrier (though I can't off hand think of the correct term for what you're referring to).

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/14/10 02:22 PM

Correct JD

There is the OS multi tasking.

There is the carrier multi tasking.

But when you look at the Grand Picture - Apple will get the blame for not being able to not access certain capabilities - when really it is the carrier thats at fault.

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/14/10 04:40 PM

Carp, that limitation you're talking about was erased with the introduction of VoRA (voice over Rev. A) by Verizon back in May.

Android 3 will use it exclusively for Google Voice calls on 3G phones.

I would expect an iPhone coming out for Verizon to be LTE anyway.

Re: Sarge was right... - 11/15/10 11:50 AM

Thanks for the update.

I guess my friend must be mistaken, all though he made it sound like, that news was only a few months old? ? I'll search for that article later.