Steve Jobs

Posted by: musicalmarv7

Steve Jobs - 10/16/10 05:13 AM

Personally speaking what is your true opinion about Steve Jobs?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/16/10 09:41 AM

My personal opinion is that I don't give a rats @ss one way or another about him. Professionally speaking, the product he helped create have changed our lives, and like everyone else who worked on the projects, I thank them.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/16/10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: jerryfox3

Never met him.
Posted by: carp

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/16/10 11:42 AM

I am with JD on this, the products he help create did change our lives.

Also Steve is still the top rated CEO for Presentations. No other CEO can come close to Steve in delivering Keynotes. In fact I studied his keynotes and fashion mine similar.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/16/10 11:43 AM

Quote:
Personally speaking...

Is there any other way to speak?

I'm not going to comment.. you're just fishing for stuff to complain about. Every post you make about Steve or Apple appears to me to be negative.

Why is Jobs so secretive about everything he does with his company?
===

I do not expect things to be handed to me. I expect honesty with a 2 billion dollar company
===

It sounds that jobs is just plain selfish and does not want anybody else to get a break in this industry.

===

...and so it goes....

So to me this just sounds like flame bait..
Posted by: DLC

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/16/10 01:32 PM

Helluva lot more innovating than Bill Gates ever dreamed of.

Gates and M$ stole much of their stuff early on (1985-1994). sick
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/16/10 03:47 PM

He's a pretty skinny looking dude.

Ed

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/17/10 04:18 AM

What is your gripe if I want to see what other members think about Jobs?Maybe I know things about Jobs you don't ever think about? Loosen up in life.No one is perfect.First of all I have nothing against Jobs or Apple.Everyone has opinions and free speech in life.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/17/10 04:31 AM

Again...

Why is Jobs so secretive about everything he does with his company?
===

I do not expect things to be handed to me. I expect honesty with a 2 billion dollar company
===

It sounds that jobs is just plain selfish and does not want anybody else to get a break in this industry.

===
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/17/10 06:28 AM

What is your opinion of him Jerry? Join in like you want others to do.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/17/10 06:48 AM

Quote:
Everyone has opinions and free speech in life.

Jerry, I didn't stop you from speaking what you want... please give me the same courtesy.

When I saw your open-ended question a big red flag went up because I remember past posts where you are very negative about Apple and Steve. Which is fine... you can have your opinion... just don't expect it to be popular in here.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/17/10 10:36 AM

Maybe I know things about Jobs you don't ever think about?

Could you give us a hint?

Are you under a non-disclosure agreement with what information you have?

Really, we could probably have some really good discussion if you'd lighten up and share. wink wink smile.

Since you've been a member of the forum, you've hinted on several occasions that you have a relative who works for Apple or who has access to getting Apple products at reduced prices.

You seem to present yourself as having insider information concerning Apple. Your original post now seems that you probably know that because we're Apple devotee's that most of us would say positive things about Jobs.

Would the next thing in this scenario be that you would then give us some real "skinny" on Apple and Mr. Jobs? Things that would really "open our eyes" to the real Jobs.

I'm just guessing here, Jerry. But why would you even ask the question? Did you think some folk here would have dirt and negatives about Jobs, or did you just want to see all the good things that might come up about him?

For me:

He is a very successful inventor and business man. While not responsible for every innovation coming out of Apple, he knows how to run a company that gets access to brilliant minds in all aspects of business.

His products may not be the cheapest and best on the earth, but they appeal to me and many others -- enough to make him a millionaire several times over.

I wish he would make things that lasted beyond the AppleCare agreements -- like 30 years -- and still would be useful with current technology. Not possible, I suppose.

Anyway, the egg I am cooking on top of my 24inch iMac is about ready for my brunch sandwich, so I'll stop here.

I have a friend visiting the Philippines right now. She has family there but we're concerned and will be glad when she returns home.

Regards,
Ethel/Kate

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/17/10 10:57 AM

The "personally" I haven't met him and I doubt we would get along or even enjoy a beer together. Publicly I know him only two ways.

1) His company stock. In ten years he has taken a 9 dollar stock and driven it to over 300. That is 34 times multiplying of worth. It has helped me out "personally" quite a bit. I went fishing this morning because of Jobs.

His company had a market cap one tenth of MSFT and is now worth more than MSFT. In the same ten years Bill Gates stack has gone from 25 to 25.5. A MSFT investor would have been better off putting the money in her mattress. At least you don't pay the fees and it is readily available.

2) The products he makes. Picture a world without Apple. Would we be putzing on computers with Windows NT right now? Would the computers be grey? Would your phone be a bit bland?

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 04:18 AM

Jobs should really be grateful to someone who donated his liver so he can live don't you think? He was a dead man without this liver donation.He is a excellent ceo and took his company to the top which I applaud his effects but condone his actions the way he treats his workers as I know from a friend employed there.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 04:28 AM

Hopefully your friend missed the terrible typhoon we are experiencing here in the Philippines.Lucky I missed it by living in Mindanao.Getting back to Jobs I do have a friend employed there and he tells me Jobs is not a nice person to work with.I think Apple products are exemplary from the other computers out there on the market. Their customer service is excellent also as from my own experience.I am not trying to negate in any way that apple is a bad product or influence anyone else in this matter to buy it or not.That is their choice.I know apple owners are a very tight knit bunch of dedicated people.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 09:09 AM

I haven't watched this myself (I'm just not that interested right now) but a friend posted it on facebook and I thought it might be relevant to this discussion, such as it is.

Bloomberg Game Changers: Steve Jobs

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 11:21 AM

Yeah, that liver business was one funny piece of business.

Walter Payton was a legendary NFL running back ( and passing game threat ) and very savvy businessman, with fame, money, enjoying great success and prosperity in retirement, yet despite that, could not get a liver transplant in time to save his life.

Apparently you have to be powerful, as well as rich and famous, to make the system work the way you want it to work.

Ed
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 11:33 AM

I'd comment on that, but it would probably activate the threadapult. wink

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 12:08 PM

Thanks for the link.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 12:22 PM

Apparently you have to be powerful, as well as rich and famous, to make the system work the way you want it to work.

Well, sure being rich helps, that procedure is extremely expensive.

However no matter how rich or famous you are - The liver has to be a match first and that is the top most number one on the list. Without a match you don't get it no matter what your status is.

What we don't know was there other matches for this liver ? ?
If so then theres other spectrums to look at as well. For example at the other end of the social status - I mean you give a healthy liver to a "Gang Banger" who lost his in a gun shoot up? ? or give it to someone who can change the world?

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 12:24 PM

A person's social status should not be a consideration. If so, you're playing God.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben Dover
Yeah, that liver business was one funny piece of business.

Walter Payton was a legendary NFL running back ( and passing game threat ) and very savvy businessman, with fame, money, enjoying great success and prosperity in retirement, yet despite that, could not get a liver transplant in time to save his life.

Ed

Power and fame do not get you a new liver, some cash and a lot of smarts does help though. Steve Jobs spent the time and money to be signed up at many organ donor banks. But when the algorithm is run when there is a liver available you have to be lucky and very sick. Jobs almost died and so he met one criteria. He was also lucky to match. Did he "game" the system because he signed up at car crash rich/recipient poor Tennessee?

Would you go to 6 different institutes and do a complete blood workup, counseling, ultrasounds, CT scans, EKG, and colonoscopy to raise your odds?

Walter Payton was unlucky. He also might not have been smart enough to multilist. Every year there are about 15,000 on the list and 5,000 get new livers. You just have to double your odds, then be in the almost dead cohort and also match the donor.

On the flip side, this is the Untied States with no national health care, nothing to level the playing field. Money and the smarts to use that money will always tip the scales a bit to the rich.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

Well, sure being rich helps, that procedure is extremely expensive.
That has nothing to do with it. Any clinic caught receiving money so that the recipient is moved up the list would be decertified in a heartbeat.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 12:45 PM

A person's social status should not be a consideration. If so, you're playing God.

I strongly disagree - no ones playing god.

Organ transplants - are a rare commodity and thus is not something you just pass around like apples <- pun intended laugh you also have to consider that this rare commodity has the best success (and the best survival rate)

Keep in mind there are 3 people involved
1 - Patient - Jobs in this case.
2 - The donor
3 - The patient that did not get the transplant.

Now using my extreme example.
1 - Patient - Gang banger in this case, who dies in a gang bang shoot out
2 - Donor
3 - The patient who did not get the transplant and later dies.
Now you have 3 dead people and a lost healthy liver.

The ideal is to save lives with the best possible longevity - thats NOT playing God thats making the best possible decision to make the best possible use of a rare commodity.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 01:00 PM

Where's that head spinning graphic when I need it? crazy

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 01:03 PM

The ideal is to save lives with the best possible longevity - thats NOT playing God thats making the best possible decision to make the best possible use of a rare commodity.
But if you use a decision making process that takes in the societal worth of the individual you are indeed playing God.

Does gang banger get typed into the algorithm? Does CEO? How about Hawaiian? They obviously contribute less to society since they just hang out on and island.

You can't. It doesn't work that way. Jobs will have a higher chance since he can spend the time and money to jet around and get on more lists but the gang banger gets the liver if he matches the algorithm when it is run.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 01:23 PM

Theres a National list I believe, or there was sometime ago.

Steve does not need to jet around to get on a list

Steve used his jet to get to the hospital for the procedure, which I believe has a time limit. Where you or I would be out of luck, more so me, since you are much closure. Maybe thats where people feel used his money and power? ?

Being first on the list does not mean you get the first liver that shows up - You must be able to match it, blood type yada yada and make it there in time.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 01:43 PM

Most folks are already in a hospital. If there is a liver match, the liver is flown to the patient.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 01:57 PM

I believe there were residency requirements ( perhaps for some kind of higher priority status ), so Jobs would have had the wherewithall and money to establish multiple residences.

Something like that - Not quite sure, though.

Ed

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Most folks are already in a hospital. If there is a liver match, the liver is flown to the patient.

Not 100% sure there is a shelve life of the liver something like 6 hours, so having it flown to a hospital and including the operation <- really cuts down list choices.

Steve was able to get on a jet and get there in time - simple as that.

Keep in mind that Steve was NOT sitting in a hospital either, just waiting for one to be flown in <--- RIGHT --> if so that would have happened instead of Steve having to fly out there to begin with.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 02:39 PM

Yes, there is a time limit, so the patient has to be already prepped and ready to receive the "new" organ and that "new" organ had to be near enough so that it could arrive in time. Note: I did say "most."

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben Dover
I believe there were residency requirements ( perhaps for some kind of higher priority status ), so Jobs would have had the wherewithall and money to establish multiple residences.

Something like that - Not quite sure, though.

Ed

I heard that too.
Steve also has a residence here too.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/18/10 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Yes, there is a time limit, so the patient has to be already prepped and ready to receive the "new" organ and that "new" organ had to be near enough so that it could arrive in time. Note: I did say "most."

Agree

Like I said and now back to the list - Who else was on it? was Steve the top of the list? Was Steve the only one who match that organ? ? <-- KEY WORD = (Match) the organ.

We just don't know - what we do know Steve was able to jump on the plane and make it there in time.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/19/10 05:07 AM

Jobs is changing the world granted for that I am glad. Thankfully he had found a match to get a liver transplant to save his life.Does he ever donate to any charitable organization?I hope he donates to the Liver Foundation as other people need livers as much as Jobs did.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/19/10 10:27 AM

From Wikipedia:

Jobs has been criticized for his lack of public philanthropy despite his wealth, particularly in recent years as other billionaires have pledged significant portions of their fortunes to charity.[56] As of 2006, Jobs had not appeared on national tallies of charitable donations totaling $1 million or more, as compiled by Indiana University's Center on Philanthropy.[57] Although he may well have donated significant sums anonymously, some have doubted this assumption, given Jobs' equally poor track record on corporate philanthropy;[58] after resuming control of Apple in 1997, Jobs eliminated all corporate philanthropy programs as a temporary cost-cutting measure until profitability improved.[59] Despite the company's record-breaking profits and $40 billion cash on hand,[60] Jobs has not reinstated a philanthropic division at Apple.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/19/10 12:08 PM

Jobs does support some kind of liver foundation (Bloomberg) has a video of that.

What I don't know is does Steve donates money? or just make speaking engagements.

Kate; Thats true.

Makes me wonder if Apple needs the Board approval first? ? Since it is a public company maybe the Board says no and not Apple? ?

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 04:46 AM

I know you guys are not to fond of Microsoft.Truthfully Bill Gates does contribute a huge amount of his wealth from his foundation to the poorer countries around the world.I know this is a tax write off but he and his wife Melinda are quite the charitable people among the billionaires today. Jobs as you mentioned is never listed hardly.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 09:38 AM

Since I'm Jobs mistress I have no comment! whistle

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 09:41 AM

Yo! That's me -- in chains under his bed. Sex slave.

Let's get together and compare "notes". . . heh smile

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 09:44 AM

Yeah! That sounds like a winner. Let's do lunch while Stevo is with the wify. I have the duplicate chain key around my neck. It's diamond. laugh

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 11:40 AM

I know you guys are not to fond of Microsoft.Truthfully Bill Gates does contribute a huge amount of his wealth from his foundation to the poorer countries around the world.I know this is a tax write off but he and his wife Melinda are quite the charitable people among the billionaires today. Jobs as you mentioned is never listed hardly.

Well my comments on that. I mean your talking about (personal donations)

1 - Bill is the most wealth rich bustard on the planet
2- MS still pays him big cash - keep in mind he is retired BUT still owns the company.
3 - Bill feels really guilty for ripping off the public, so now its pay back.

4 - Steve only gets (1 - dollar) annual pay from Apple
5 - Steve gets his pay check from Pixar
6 - Steve wealth is tied up in Apple stocks options. People measure his wealth by this

Bottom line;
Bills retirement checks (spendable cash) far far out strips Steves spendable cash, from Pixar. Simply Steve don't have that kind of cash

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
Yeah! That sounds like a winner. Let's do lunch while Stevo is with the wify. I have the duplicate chain key around my neck. It's diamond. laugh

Well doll, just a key chain laugh Ya better start swinging from chandeliers.

Steve best Gals get this

8 million dollar iPhones laugh

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 12:04 PM

Bottom line;
Bills retirement checks (spendable cash) far far out strips Steves spendable cash, from Pixar. Simply Steve don't have that kind of cash

Oh I don't know, Steve. I'm thinking that if Steve wants to buy ANYTHING he has enough cash on hand to complete the transaction. I also think if he wanted to be more philanthropic he could scrape up some pennies to spend here and there on charities.

He just does not lean in that direction. Maybe he will later in life, or maybe he will bequeath a lot after he kicks off! smile

My opinion? He "seems" cheap compared to Bill. But I don't know for sure. Bill has a few pennies more than Steve too. wink

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 12:28 PM

Yes or No ? ?

Bill does have a ton of spendable cash more than Steve and thats a fact.

Then theres that (Ego) I mean CEO -vs- CEO. Steve scrapes together a million bucks to donate , Bill reaches into his change bowl and donates a billion <-- you don't wanna get into who gives the most competition. Steve will lose that hands down so why bother.

He just does not lean in that direction. Maybe he will later in life

Give it some thought a little bit -
From the time of Apple conception - to when Steve got can - to NEXT ->> Steve was nearly bankrupt <-- Then Apple hired him back and even then it was a struggle until the first iPods came out and the later successes.

Keep in mind that was like only 6 years ago when Apple sales went up.
Keep in mind that Steve only gets one dollar a year from Apple.

I will agree with you that Steve does not seem to be more of a philanthropic compared to Bill - also note that Steve and Apple really really does not get into politics either, donations or even making statements for one side or another.

Remember that Steves persona , is built on Secrecy - with that maybe he does donate a ton of cash ? just no one will ever know.

Remember that Bill only started his philanthropic activities - After he retired . And that was only for tax reasons. Well he has so much money coming in he had to do something with it

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/20/10 07:03 PM

“Diamond Rose” is at the top of my xmas wish want list. grin

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/21/10 04:47 AM

I am referring to the foundation Gates has with his wife Melinda and the enormous contributions they make to 3rd world countries and also our country the USA.Pertaining to education for the poor in various states.

Re: Steve Jobs - 10/21/10 12:15 PM

Keep in mind that this Foundation was started after Gates retirement.

Keep in mind that the foundation is NOT all Gates money, most of it, is and now donated to the foundation from outside.

Most import to keep in mind is that the Foundation was created by Gates wife and she runs it, with Bill on the side.

So really your question should be who donates more (personally) Steve or Bill? I mean money from their own back pocket. <-- I would think Bill since he has more spendable cash.

Which corporation donates more ?

MS charities
Apple charities

Best links I could find.
Would seem that MS is more of a broad range of charities where Apple is more focused on education. The MS link gives numbers where the Apple link does not.

The MS numbers in the link - includes (volunteer time) so that screws the cash amount which included labor. So take that number with a grain of salt.