Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ??

Posted by: DLC

Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 09:20 AM

Apple Event Octrober 20th... mmm rumor 3D in OS X 10.7 Wonder what that'll look like?
Will you need glasses ? wink

MORE
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 11:41 AM

Interesting...a Lion behind the Apple. I hope that this update really packs a lot of features.

And of course they will talk about laptops.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 11:51 AM

Me too John. Remember the last OS upgrade was about improving performance and tightening the code... I hope they have some great new features in 10.7 that blows Win7 away ! The 3D would be nice eye candy, but I wonder how they'd pull that off. That'd be nice but I'd rather have new functional features... the eye candy can get old after a while.

And to think I threw my red and blue lens glasses away ! laugh
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 11:55 AM

I wonder if they will do something with the finder?
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 11:58 AM

Whoa, I thought they ran out of Big Cat names laugh

My best guess in features.

1 - iMacs will have the Retina displays

2 - iMac and Apple displays will be touch screen active

3 - 10.7 will be fully touch input native. (screen wise)

4 - 10.7 will have face time this will push out iChat video

5 - 10.7 will have better syncing will all devices

6 - 10.7 will have the normal bug fixes and speed boost

7 - Hardware speed bumps all around

8 - New pro-tower design <-- long over due.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 04:17 PM

Hey Steve, how about a retina scan log-in, for security ! whistle
I'd like to see lots more than your list... to me those are just the "givens".

except I think the touch screen thing is way overblown on a vertical screen, unless you can tilt it flat or ~30 degrees. I think people's arms would get to tired otherwise. Do that for 8 hours and you'd have arms like Popeye ! laugh

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 06:47 PM

I agree that the touch screen is over blown.

The PCers, seem to think that the Macs are way way way way way behind.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/13/10 06:57 PM

That's because they still think that Bill Gates and M$ invented the wheel.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/14/10 06:24 PM

I talked with one of our idiot moron IT people yesterday @ CDC... turns out they discovered my MAC at work on the CDC LAN. He asked how long had I had it wired in - and I replied only 9 YEARS !! shocked

he asked why I still used it when I had a PC available and I replied "because it's still fasther than that Windows POS on the other desk!! "

Then he proceeded to tell me "..but Macs were SO expensive ... cost >$2000 !" I really unoloaded on him and told him that old dogma BS was about 10m years old! . . and showed him on the Apple website where he could get a cool MacBook or iMac for about $1000-1100 ! He was stunned !

The Coup de Grace was I ran a search on the PC and Mac at the same time. The Mac finished in 2-3 sec and the PC was still cranking like an old organ grinder... I said THAT"S why I still prefer Mac - even a 9 yr old one ! I don't think he'll convert tomorrow, but I sure blew away his image of Macs ! BTW he has an iPod Touch and loves it !

His knowledge of computers explains why IT at CDC is so FUBAR ! wink

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/15/10 11:56 AM

Thats a great one David

I am surprised that he did not question you on how or if you did any work in the last 9 years? After all Mac,s are for little kids to play on, you cannot even possibly do any REAL work on a Mac. laugh

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/15/10 03:19 PM

Quote:
After all Mac,s are for little kids to play on, you cannot even possibly do any REAL work on a Mac. laugh

yeah all This and This was done with toys !!
wink

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/16/10 11:49 AM

LOL

Funny I still hear that even today. Well more like read that in the comment sections
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
I wonder if they will do something with the finder?

Good f'ing God, I hope so.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: carp

I like touchscreen, those touchscreen HP's are really sweet.

However, the iMacs are already underpowered graphics wise. Adding higher res screens isn't an easy option with the chipsets that would be needed to drive it. They get too hot already.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Then he proceeded to tell me "..but Macs were SO expensive ... cost >$2000 !"

They pay $9000 for a toilet seat and he's worried about $2K for a Mac? laugh
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter

I like touchscreen, those touchscreen HP's are really sweet.

However, the iMacs are already underpowered graphics wise. Adding higher res screens isn't an easy option with the chipsets that would be needed to drive it. They get too hot already.

No touch screen iMacs. Steve said after a while your hand drops to desk and too fatiguing.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 11:14 AM

That's stupid. You don't use the touch screen exclusively. But it's nice for quick stuff

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 11:42 AM

I believe he said that big square of thing [Magic Track Pad] you can add to iMac or anything else to use gestures, etc. would be their answer to an iMac touch.

Posted by: FSM

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 11:52 AM

i have a stand for my iPad that puts it vertical like a laptop, in a sense. it sux to do anything beyond consumption when the iPad is sitting up like that. while i agree that being able to do quick stuff might be nice, the truth is that you'd try and use it more and then hate it. i don't even really use my stand except to watch a movie when laying down.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 12:08 PM

Good points by all.

However PCers Love to shove that point at Apple that Windows are native touch screen enable. Where OSX is not. Does not matter weather or not it is usable, more like Ha ha ha we got something you don't sorta thingy.

Personaly;
This touch screen thingy is best for Kiosk, like ATM machines.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 12:33 PM

I like using my Wacom Pen Pad. Touch screen does not appeal to me.

I saw a lady at my coffee shop and she had a windows laptop with a gigantic external keyboard plugged in and books all over the table. I'd heard about people who move in on a coffee shop like it was their private office, but she is the first one I've ever seen. smile

It is a large, large shop and tables are not ever all taken so I guess the owner would let someone know to move on if he felt imposed on.

Well, on open mic nights there is hardly any standing room available, but that's another story. smile

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 12:49 PM

I'd heard about people who move in on a coffee shop like it was their private office, but she is the first one I've ever seen.

I hear that
Not so much here because I believe Starbucks still charges for WiFi ? ? So really you hardly ever see anyone with devices.

But at Maui Coffee Roasters when (Marg) was here - Anyway their WiFi was free, soooo you guess it, the place was packed with people with laptops and some were having businesses meetings laugh I will say that all at lease had coffees and muffins that sorta stuff.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 12:52 PM

[ because I believe Starbucks still charges for WiFi ? ?

I don't think anyone charges for WIFI anymore. Even the airports figured that one out and have been free for that past few years.

Leased muffins? Where do you live?

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 01:07 PM

Leased muffins? Where do you live?

Yeah you crap it out and return it laugh

I don't think anyone charges for WIFI anymore

You could be right ? ? I hardly even go to Star bucks in the first place. The few times I did go in it was something like 5 bucks for 30 minutes, something that I felt was ridiculous. I cannot see why the charge because providing wifi is not expensive. I believe the charge was to discourage people from hanging around and making a private office like what Kate mentioned.

IMO, Star Bucks had a bad business model at the beginning.

I notice most people will buy one coffee and walk out - At Maui Coffee Roasters because of the free wifi people with laptops were buying 2 coffees and something to munch on, because they were now a captive audience .
Posted by: trey

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 04:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone charges for WIFI anymore. Even the airports figured that one out and have been free for that past few years.

Hmm... Not JFK and LGA from what I can tell. And man, I was surprised as hell how many places in NYC either don't have WIFI, or do actually charge for it via some third party service.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 05:07 PM

Quote:
Even the airports figured that one out and have been free for that past few years.

Ummm ... no. Emphatically no, to be precise.

You might be surprised how many airports simply pass the wireless services off to third-party pay-per minute/hour/day providers ...

I just got a Verizon hot spot to, among other things, avoid those charges (and those of hotels) ...

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 05:11 PM

Right Trey.

Well I will admit that I did not fly out of HNL for a few years.

But HNL did charge for wifi -via- through hook up on your laptop, pass ya credit card number, boom instant access. I don't know what the charge is because, I owned the Airline Premier Gold Card do hickey to gain entry into to their Clubs <-- which wifi was free, plus drinks and snacks. Believe me the best deal even if you have to pay for it.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Quote:
Even the airports figured that one out and have been free for that past few years.

Ummm ... no. Emphatically no, to be precise.

You might be surprised how many airports simply pass the wireless services off to third-party pay-per minute/hour/day providers ...

I just got a Verizon hot spot to, among other things, avoid those charges (and those of hotels) ...

Must just be lucky where I go. Denver, Charlotte, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, Miami all switched to free wireless. A few years ago it was all pay for a membership of 15 bucks a day or so. Now it is all free or I have a magic airport card that knows the secret password.

Hotels are still coming around. A ten spot a day extra for an effed up hardwire connection was the norm five years ago. Now half the hotels are a ten spot wireless and the rest are free and everyone is heading there. Cheap motels got on the bandwagon of free wireless years ago.

In Boston I don't think I paid for wireless in ten years. Bleed through of wireless if I walked down Newbury Street for six blocks I could maintain free wireless from coffee shops. I used to carry a dongle that told me when I found wireless. Now I don't bother since it is always there. Boston might be different. Students hate to pay for wireless and we have 26 colleges. If the was a Starbucks that charged it would be one empty coffee shop.

I live on Cape Ann and my free wifi map shows 28 free WiFi hot spots. It's not a very big Cape.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 05:53 PM

Tampa is free. IIRC the JetBlue terminal at JFK also said theirs was free access.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Tampa is free. IIRC the JetBlue terminal at JFK also said theirs was free access.

I hit three in Florida in the past year. Fort Myers, West Palm and Tampa, all free. Now that it is all free I am going to try to stop traveling, only two trips a year from now on.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 08:03 PM

Hotels are still coming around

I suppose if people keep paying for it - it will continue to be paid for. Sorta anyway to make a buck - instead of giving something away to gain even more business.

Kinda like the South West Airlines - new motto - Bags fly for free.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 08:13 PM

@sgtbaxter I'm beginning to think they aren't going to be doing much more to the Finder. The more consumer friendly and iOS like the Mac becomes the less people are going to be messing with the file system.

Couple years down the road we may find the Finder bundled in with Xcode and the dev tools wink

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 08:52 PM

Hotels are still coming around

I suppose if people keep paying for it - it will continue to be paid for.

You never know until you plug in upstairs and it's just a ten buck business expense so a lot f places are keeping that 5% additional charge on the books. But if happen to have that comment card handy I always say "paying for internet Sux."

I was in Salt Lake City a couple years ago in the swankiest hotel next to the Tabernacle and I was stealing wireless internet from the more seedy hotel next door. They got a card.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 09:04 PM

I don't understand this beef about the Finder? ? Seems kinda a silly gripe?

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/20/10 10:09 PM

The bits I have seen of 10.7 the more iPhone and iPad like the operating skin becomes.

Originally Posted By: zwei

Couple years down the road we may find the Finder bundled in with Xcode and the dev tools wink

Highly likely. Why confuse and muck things up with all this baggage we have gotten used to but no longer need? Each app will have a file like finder for its data files to be saved and opened from like iPhoto and iTunes but no real finder to speak of. There will be a Mac App Store just like the iPhone Apps store.

The Finder as we know it will be as useful as a "Chooser".

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/21/10 03:56 AM

Similar situation on Grand Cayman a few years ago. The hotel we were booked into (company inventory group), had a surcharge for wi-fi access. The hotel right next door had free access. Guess which network we used. laugh
Posted by: trey

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/21/10 07:32 AM

Quote:
IIRC the JetBlue terminal at JFK also said theirs was free access.

I'll be able to let you know next week.

Also, I do recall that in the months leading up to my moving to NYC, when I was traveling back and forth a bit, I was able to score free wifi in a few places by allowing the networking hardware to infer that I was on a iPhone. Seems some terminals had deals with AT&T to let iPhones on for free for like an hour. Just some websites looked funny on my MacBook when they were sized for the iPhone. wink

I do know that MSY and BTR have free wifi all over.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/21/10 11:46 AM

MSY and BTR <-- whats that ?

Free wifi;
Ya be surprised how many people don't password protect.
Just today driving grand daughter to school who has a iTouch.
She able to get free wifi all the way to school and she was able to point out which houses were the source ? ?

IS that possible.

Re: Apple Event Oct 20th- Peak at OSX 10.7 ?? - 10/21/10 09:12 PM

IS that possible.
-*-*-*-*-

My neighbor doesn't password hers. But lots of time, my iPhone picks up her WiFi and I'd rather it did not do that. Her connection is so much slower than mine.

I listen to Progressive radio as I work in the yard and if I'm closer to her home, it just skips over to her WiFi! For a while her server was not showing up as a choice for me and I was glad. One of her kids must have screwed it up. There are other neighbors that show up but are passworded.

My neighbor's shows up as "linksys" as a choice on my Mac or iPhone. Now lets try and guess what kind of router she has. Dumb PC users. Ha.

I'm so intelligent. Mine is called "Puter" -- ho ho ho.

smile