iPad Refresh?

Posted by: Ben Dover

iPad Refresh? - 10/11/10 11:24 PM

I'm antsy to set aside some Christmas presents now.

Is there a refresh comin up before the holidays to fix/correct some shortcomings? Probably not I suppose.

Ed
Posted by: DLC

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 08:30 AM

Rumor was late Q1 . . Feb - March ?

But that can change tomorrow ! whistle
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 08:31 AM

Yeah, with them hitting Target and Walmart, I'd think the current models will carry through the holidays.
Posted by: DLC

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 10:19 AM

Yeah, . . why refresh when these are selling like hot cakes !
I think the iPad and Apple TV will be big holiday sellers.

Save the refresh for the "slow" season ... late winter, early spring ! wink
Posted by: carp

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 11:25 AM

Yeah I think your right, no refresh until next year.

Ed
For a big ticket item like an iPad, I would wait.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 11:37 AM

I'll just get them now for Christmas, then later I'll pick up that Marvell Moby tablet for myself when it ships.

For Christmas presents and consumption orientation, the iPads will be fine. That docking nonsense just to sync has got to go, though - That's just too weird and clunky - The rest of the stuff is small change, but that add-on junk just to simply sync is too whack.

Hopefully the recipients would just be downloading their media from Apple, though - They'll of course get some iTunes plastic, too, to load up their iPads with. So with any luck they won't be stuck with these tacky extra gyrations - Comments/reviews on the dock suck anyway.

Later,

Ed
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 12:39 PM

I'm still waiting. Can't get over the self control I have been exhibiting in my old age. [ smile] I want an iPad, but I want the next edition.

I think I can remember that about 10 years ago, more or less, when I was getting ready to buy a new iMac, that I said something like, "This will probably be the last Mac I buy. Should last me the rest of my life!"

Yeah, right. Ha!

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 01:28 PM

Right Kate, you to funny

I think I can remember that about 10 years ago, more or less, when I was getting ready to buy a new iMac, that I said something like, "This will probably be the last Mac I buy. Should last me the rest of my life!"

Yeah, right. Ha!

Lets see what I bought over the years.

1 - Performer 600 CD - my first Mac.
1 - Radius clone tower, gave that away later
1 - Power Tower Pro <- going out of biz sale. I was looking at a Quadra.
1 - G4 Mac 1st rev.
1 - iMac aluminum 24 inch
2 - Mac Minis - one for travel
1 - iMac 20 inch <- I use this one writing this post.
5 - iPods <-- gifts
1 - Airport base station
--- Countless assorted madness.

I gave allot to Apple - I expect nothing less than a brand new Pro Tower for free laugh I'll settle for an iPad

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Right Kate, you to funny

laugh I'll settle for an iPad

We're not ungrateful or greedy, Carp. I'll settle for the iPad too. seems it does most of everything we'll need for a while to come.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 01:41 PM

As long as we're on the subject:

Apple IIe
Apple IIc
Mac LC
Performa 6115CD
(Those were hand-me-downs)

PM G4-450 - lasted me almost 10 years
iMac G3-350 - lasted my wife about 8 years
MacMini 1.66 GHz to replace the iMac
MacMini 2.0 GHz to replace the G4

No iPods, iPhones, or iPads......yet.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 02:29 PM

I think I am close to over 20,000 bucks, pumping into Apple, over the years
Posted by: MrB

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 02:32 PM

Let's see..

Apple IIgs
Mac IIsi
Mac 7200
External cd player
apple personal LaserWriter
Mac 7200 with cd
Apple Laserwriter 630 Pro
Perfoma model (can't remember which model)
Mac g3
Mac g4
IMac second edition in October 2004
iMac intel version in 2008
iPad

Sevaral Apple picture books and a couple mice.

And mustn't forget that 40mb. External drive I got in 1988 that cost me $750 (yes that was a 40megabyte)

Dave
Posted by: MrB

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 02:37 PM

Before I bought my iPad last month, some folks said to wait, but for me those four months were going to be precious.

I will say I am truly addicted to this thing as I have never been addicted t a gadget before, and these last four days when I have had my Internet problems I was going nuts with out the connection.

I don't need a camera and can manage the sync. Do wish the photo situation was better

Dave

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 02:59 PM

Glad you did not wait David

iPad came in handy at the right times.
Boredom kills.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben Dover
That docking nonsense just to sync has got to go, though - That's just too weird and clunky - The rest of the stuff is small change, but that add-on junk just to simply sync is too whack.Ed
Amen brother. I have been saying that about the iPhone too since it first came out. All of that wireless technology built in and you need a freakin' cable to sync.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 04:26 PM

I suppose that is for security - once in the Air it is now public.

I dunno but makes sense, for the corporate users.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/12/10 07:16 PM

I should be able to sync wirelessly between any device. If wireless connectivity is built-in, then why not be able to sync with it to my desktop Mac?
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/13/10 12:47 AM

You can sync wirelessly if your jailbroken, of course wink

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/13/10 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
You can sync wirelessly if your jailbroken, of course wink
My jailbroken what?

Had to call you on it word man. grin

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/13/10 11:35 AM

I think he means that Michael broke out of jail.

if your jailbroken

Just kisdding

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/13/10 12:10 PM

Nah, was posting from my iPhone, which eats grammar and spits out American ;]

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/13/10 01:32 PM

No problem Big Guy
I knew what you meant. laugh

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/13/10 03:38 PM

grin
Posted by: polymerase

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/14/10 12:35 AM

You mean Hawaiian? You to funny.
Posted by: zwei

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/14/10 06:51 AM

They are also getting iPads into Verizon stores as of Oct 28th

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/14/10 10:57 AM

I hope it dont start doing that allot! wink

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/14/10 01:13 PM

Im shure youll be gentle wid me wink

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/14/10 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

I hope it dont start doing that allot! wink

Thats okay Kate, you been to Hawaii, so ya already know how to read laugh
Posted by: FSM

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/16/10 09:27 PM

i'd be surprised to see a refresh on the iPad line until March or April as they're still selling really well. but i can't wait to give my wife my iPad and get a new one with a Retina display as that's sure to be a part of v.2.0.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/17/10 06:41 AM

iPad with a retina display!

Drool!

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/17/10 12:30 PM

Sounds like a good plan Sean. Plus you got to be getting a good (hand me down) path soon. What I mean is your kids are getting close to that age about a year from now? ?

Kaimana has so far gotten 4 iPods, an eMac, lamp shade iMac and when I get a new iMac, she will get my outdated 20 inch aluminum iMac first rev. Since we don't want her to have a phone yet, we got her a iTouch, which we can send her text messages, works great for us.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/17/10 09:52 PM

iPad won't be getting a retina display any time soon. At least not 300+ ppi like the iPhone. Packing the pixels of a 30" cinema display into a 10" screen would drive the price up dramatically, drain the battery much faster, and require a GPU with power of a current gaming PC to push that many pixels.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/18/10 12:28 PM

Right Zwei

Still the chassis of the iPad is much larger than an iPhone - I would think it could hold a much larger battery to make up for the extra draw? ?

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/18/10 12:50 PM

It's already got a massive battery in it now, that's why it's as heavy as it is …and the battery is probably the low man on the totem pole as far as the issues go.

My guess, the only difference between the current iPad and the next rev will be a faster A4 processor, larger HD options, and a front facing camera for Facetime.

Re: iPad Refresh? - 10/18/10 01:51 PM

A faster processor would help. Multi-cores would be nice, towards addressing power management as well as performance. I don't expect them to play catch-up anytime soon, though, as it's good enough as is, for the moment.

Really needs a USB port, and as Reboot mentioned, not having a wireless sync is ridiculous.

You'd think they'd keep pace and go all on silicon, then they could dump that ridiculous two-tiered pricing for wifi and wifi-3G, and throw in GPS, 1080P HD encode-decode, etc, when they do go for faster processing.

But Apple can afford a slow fuse, as they've got media consumption, apps and ads all to themselves with no competition on the near horizon; with Marvell moving on education, healthcare, e-readers and the services-apps ecosystems for those ( well, it seems a natural, too, to later leverage into business use ), while all the other OEMs have zero clue what's going on, waiting for Microsoft to get its sorry arse together.

If the other OEMs had a clue, they'd fuk Microsoft and dump Intel ( over-milking and too damned slow keeping pace ), go the Moby platform ( it's the best of breed, anyway, going forward a long way ), Android or Ubuntu, and build and bundle their own OEM services and apps platforms, instead of twiddling their thumbs.

Ed