MSFT to acquire Adobe?

Posted by: Mike

MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/07/10 02:37 PM

Talks of a 'partnership' between Microsoft and Adobe, a possible acquisition? Uh-oh...
more info
Posted by: carp

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/07/10 02:50 PM

I agree
If Adobe goes to MS - Say goodbye Adobe.

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/07/10 03:34 PM

Has Apple become such a threat to Microsoft? -I'm also wondering if the DoJ will alow this to happen?
Posted by: polymerase

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/07/10 03:37 PM

Adobe gets spanked by Apple to the tune of 3 billion dollars wasted on Flash acquisition. Ballmer who has had a ten year continuous spanking from Apple throws moderately good money (high priced money since MSFT has taken such a severe beating in his ten year tenure) and buys Adobe.

What a hoot. Are they going to compare red butts? The fingerprints? They're Steve Job's handprints and the boot prints match his cute expensive running shoes.

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/07/10 04:12 PM

If it does happen, will the newly 'emerged' company be called 'Microbe'? (via macobserver) laugh
Bugs, bugs...

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/07/10 08:38 PM

Great... now I can expect PhotoSoft....

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/07/10 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Great... now I can expect PhotoSoft....

Well I will say what MS lacked Big Time was a in house photo editor that was at lease some what decent or at lease some where near iPhoto even.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 04:02 AM

Dang! I posted the same news in the Lounge.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 05:07 AM

Great, just when I thought Adobe software couldn't get any more bloated and bug ridden than it already is...
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 06:37 AM

M$ and Adobe are fast becoming the dinosaurs of the computing world. HTML5 cannot come fast enough. If such a "merger" did happen, I'd just have to continue my support of Thorsten Lemke and his GraphicConverter app.

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 08:44 AM

Creative Suite is entrenced in publishing/printing/web industries. Hell, printing and publishing and most of the creative industries wouldn't exist today without Adobe and Apple.

Adobe is much, much, much more than Flash, and far more important to Apple than Apple seems to realize. There is already a big crossflow to cheaper windows boxes because of the platform parity with creative suite.

Perhaps Apple should do a hostile takeover of Adobe.
Posted by: zwei

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Great, just when I thought Adobe software couldn't get any more bloated and bug ridden than it already is...

Agreed.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 09:00 AM

Yep. Sarge is right. (About the bloating as well) As hard as I try to think of viable professional alternatives to Adobe CS, none are exactly close contenders.

Toss away my CS5 (Design Premium) and lose about a decade's worth of accumulated experience, knowledge and files I can re-use and recycle? Perish the thought! OTOH, Dreamweaver and Flash I could drop, to be honest.

Not saying it wouldn't happen given no other choice, but for the whole publishing/printing/web industries move there, wouldn't happen overnight.

Okay, there's open source GIMP and Inkscape for Photoshop and Illustrator...hmmm, yeah...no dice.

Then there's Corel...wait, no there isn't. Best not to speak about it in professional context. For real.

I've already read about speculations that Apple might be able whip out their own alternative for the rest of the Creative Suite sooner or later. They already have Aperture and FinalCutPro anyways. And SoundTrackPro.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 12:25 PM

Just don't buy any Madobe products with ME in the title :]

Re: MSFT to acquire Adobe? - 10/08/10 12:27 PM

Another article

MS and Adobe have a common enemy

In other words, Adobe eventually would die the death of a thousands cuts as the minions at Microsoft “fixed” the Adobe products to fit into the ant-like Microsoft way of doing things.

Seems it was just a rumor - 10/08/10 04:45 PM

Despite rumors (started by "The New... take on Apple.

Of course, the possibility of Adobe CS Suite becoming M$ CS Suite was really unsettling.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/08/10 05:34 PM

I agree

The other rumor is MS wants to (Partner Up) with Adobe - so called Cloud base do hickey. <-- In that case it is fine, they can crash and burn together.

If that was it would have been better for MS to Pardner up with Apple, instead of Google - not even sure where Adobe fits in for that scenario ?

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/08/10 05:51 PM

Adobe wants to continue with Flash as a web standard and HTML5 threatens that to the nth. degree. Flash will eventually die out as HTML5 (and better) begins to take over. Flash can't do (easily, nor as compactly) what HTML5 can do. I wonder if that is why Apple is letting QuickTime die a slow death.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/08/10 05:58 PM

Right

Yes
Quick Time should die, plus I don't think Apple puts any time into it anymore? ?

When was the last time you heard about (Real Player)?
I still do get some (WMV) files, if anything should die - should be WMV.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/08/10 06:08 PM

I have Flip4Mac which opens wmv's in QT.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/08/10 06:31 PM

Should be something like HTML5 - one to rule them all.

This having to keep different players and even players to open other players are sort stupid today. Yeah 15 years ago what choice you have but today should be only one.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/09/10 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Adobe wants to continue with Flash as a web standard and HTML5 threatens that to the nth. degree. Flash will eventually die out as HTML5 (and better) begins to take over. Flash can't do (easily, nor as compactly) what HTML5 can do. I wonder if that is why Apple is letting QuickTime die a slow death.
Not really, QT is needed for their Pro apps. I don't think HTML 5 would be a viable alternative for them. Unless they are coming out with some other video processing alternative for things like Final Cut Pro.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/09/10 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
Quick Time should die, plus I don't think Apple puts any time into it anymore?

Odd statement, considering its what runs all your files in iTunes.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/09/10 02:32 PM

Right

Quick Time should die, plus I don't think Apple puts any time into it anymore? ?
Oh I dunno, how about the fact that it's a core (built-in) part of OS X? Or that they updated to a totally new version for 10.6. Or maybe that iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Preview and a few pro apps from Apple are based on it?

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/09/10 02:43 PM

On the topic of Adobe and MS: I hate to admit it, but I've been stuck running Adobe Creative Suite on Windows for over a year now at my day job... and I'll take it any day over running it on the Mac.

I run Windows 7 with only 4 GB of RAM on a Core2 Duo processor Dell and it blows my MacPro with Xeon processors and 11GB of RAM out of the water.

Quite frankly, were it not for the fact that Windows is such a clunky OS, I would switch to Windows 7 in a heartbeat. Apps themselves run so much faster and smoother. It just doesn't look as good at the OS level, and the types of apps available aren't quite as "pretty."

But I gotta say, they really are catching up. If MS would just fix Windows, it would be pretty decent. Unfortunately, Virus, Adware, Malware and stupid system files like DLL's and whatnot are what's keeping it from every being a pleasure to use like Mac OS X.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/11/10 10:09 AM

What font management do you use on that winders box?

Font management and typography (i.e. just typing option-G instead of alt-plus 23 numbers to get symbols) are two areas doing design on windows is sorely lacking imo.

Also, I think memory management is better on OS X, at least with the gigantic files I usually work with.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 08:22 AM

I don't doubt it runs better on Windows. Their products are getting crappier and crappier on the Mac. The lack of competition is really causing the products to suffer.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 11:28 AM

You think that could be because Apple step into Adobes turf with stuff like Final Cut? ?
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 03:13 PM

I think it's because Adobe thought Apple would go out of business.
They switched loyalties to Microsoft about 10 years ago, if I recall correctly.
They actually recommended Windows over Mac OS, but then The Steve came back, and they've been playing catch up ever since.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
They actually recommended Windows over Mac OS, but then The Steve came back, and they've been playing catch up ever since.

You are correct
Not to mention that Adobe thought that since MS had 95% of the market.

However;
Adobe got its start from the Mac platform and still is a large part of their business

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek

You're thinking of Quark XPress. The CEO at Quark publicly stated that they were shifting their focus to Windows. That's when Adobe really took off on the Mac as far as InDesign was concerned. Adobe was always at least smart enough to keep half their yap shut. ;-)

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 06:44 PM

However;
Adobe got its start from the Mac platform and still is a large part of their business

Actually, that's not true at all, in either case.

Adobe got started developing Postscript language for PCs. They then got into the font business. It wasn't until 1985 (I believe) that they released Illustrator, and 1989 they bought and released Photoshop.

Adobe has always had a love/hate relationship with Apple, but they've also historically made much of their money off Mac users. That simply isn't true anymore, and hasn't been for a long time. In fact, I believe Mac products account for less than 30% of their revenue (I'm really not certain on the exact number, I just know it's floating around that percentage).

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 08:03 PM

Quote:
You're thinking of Quark XPress.

Nope.

I'm thinking of Photoshop in particular.
I googled, but I'm too tired to research it.
Adobe devoted their PS efforts towards Windows.
Maybe I can back up my opinion tomorrow.
But I doubt it.
sleep

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 08:06 PM

Wasn't Adobe slow to adapt to OS X, too?

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 08:21 PM

Exactly.
That's why we still have a "port" of Adobe products.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/12/10 08:22 PM

Did they ever optimize their apps for OS X like they did for Winblows?

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/13/10 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Adobe got started developing Postscript language for PCs.

Yes, but it wasn't until Apple licensed it for use in the LaserWriter that it really took off.

Re: Seems it was just a rumor - 10/13/10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Adobe got started developing Postscript language for PCs.

Yes, but it wasn't until Apple licensed it for use in the LaserWriter that it really took off.

I think your right Sarg.

JD
Thanks for the history lesson.

I got into the Mac around 1986 there abouts - anyway if I remember correctly.
Adobe at that time was Mac only and so was Quark, talking about their core apps.

After MS bailed Apple out, part of which was the sale of Apples Color Sync technology. Only then Adobe and Quark ported over their apps to the PC <-- I believe color sync was the key?