who's watching the streaming video?

Posted by: John Rougeux

who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 09:59 AM

I am! smile Pretty cool to watch it on my iPhone via Wifi. Switches to audio only if signal strength goes down.
Posted by: carp

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 10:08 AM

Says available shortly, please check back - than I don't have snow either so I dunno ?
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
Says available shortly, please check back - than I don't have snow either so I dunno ?

I couldn't get it on Firefox. I'm watching via Safari.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 11:07 AM

Watching on my iPod touch. So far, not a single glitch!
Looks like good stuff coming!
Posted by: zwei

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 11:38 AM

Buying an iPod Touch as soon as the store is back up.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 12:17 PM

It's back up already.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 12:29 PM

So, why buy an iPod Touch?

For the Face Time?

I really think facetime/camera is coming to the next gen iPad because they said HDR will, which means the iPad will have to have a camera.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 03:17 PM

FF doesn't fully support HTML5.
Posted by: DLC

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 04:07 PM

So riddle me this Batman, what good is Apple TV ? I don't get it. blush
just to beam stuff from your Mac to the HDTV ? someone enlighten me.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 04:24 PM

Quote:
So riddle me this Batman, what good is Apple TV ? I don't get it.

So, Apple TV in it's old incarnation would let you buy, rent stuff from the Music Store as well as play your iTunes library of video/music on your TV. You could have it store stuff locally on it's own HD or stream from your Mac (which is what I do now, since I have one of the earlier models with, like, no storage at all =P). Plus you could do some free interweb stuff like view YouTube videos and podcasts and whatnot ...

Sounds pretty mundane, but it's really very nice =)

The new version gets rid of the on-board storage and is all streaming, all the time. No purchases directly from the unit -- you have to buy stuff using iTunes on the mac and stream that content. You can rent still rent stuff directly, however. Aside from that, it provides the same functionality as the old unit, plus let's you grab Netflix stuff if you subscribe to the instant streaming service (which is spooky-great magic, btw ;-) ... Plus, it'll let you stream stuff from your iPhone/iPad, which opens up a lot of opportunities, especially if you can stream Keynote presentations and stuff ...

That, and it's half the size and 1/3 the price of the old version. I'm going to get one just for the Netflix if nothing else, which will mean I won't have to fire-up they BluRay player just to get to that content ...
Posted by: Nana

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC

"Apple TV has been around since 2007, but it hasn't caught on with the mainstream. For one thing, it doesn't record shows the way TiVo and other digital video recorders do. And the need to sync the box with a computer was too complicated for most consumers.

"We've sold a lot of them, but it's never been a huge hit," Jobs, "The Enlighten One" said."

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20100901/D9HVA55O1.html

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 06:22 PM

Thanks 6 of 1 and Nana, that's what I suspected (No recording- storage) just transmitter but I wanted to be certain I hadn't missed anything.

I wish you could build movie archives on it (like music on an iPod) and just type in a name and it'd play the movie- that'd be cool !!

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 06:42 PM

I have one of the original ones too (40GB HD) and all I do is stream.

David,
I also rip my DVD's to my iMac and stream them to my AppleTV. It's even EASIER than typing in a name to watch..you just point and click! I love my AppleTV and will probably get a new one too.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/01/10 09:09 PM

Agree. If you want to access your library from your Mac, this really is a no-brianer =)

Not really sure, David, what you mean by "build movie archives" means, though. The Apple TV can (and will in the new version) be able to access the entire iTunes library on your Mac. Is that what you are asking about?

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 11:10 AM

iTunes would be where I'd get streaming movies from Apple, right? But they go away after a bit of time. So they're not archived. *

My DVDs I copy are stored in my Documents folder in a folder named Movies. They are archived right?

Can I put those movies in Movies folder in iTunes? Should I?

I get confused. [ smile ]

smile

* I don't know where streamed movies reside as you view them from Apple or NetFlicks [that other place].

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 11:26 AM

Stuff that you stream from the ITMS are probably only archived temporarily (if at all) on your local device -- speculation is that the new Apple TV actually has some sort of storage for this very reason. So basically, that kind of content stays in Apple's cloud ;-)

DVD's you rip yourself are stored wherever you want them to be stored -- they're yours and you can do whatever you want with them (except, you know, make money off of them and stuff ;-) In order for that content to work with Apple TV, they'd have do be saved in a certain format (H.264?) and included in your iTuned library so the Apple TV can find 'em. Alternatively, if the movie lives on an iDevice (iPod, iPad, etc.), you'll have the option of streaming the video from one of those =)

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 12:00 PM

John and 6 of 1,

so let me "dream",

Could you take your whole movie collection, save it on large HDs (2 Tb) from your Mac, and then access any movie you wanted from the archive like you select a song in iTunes ? IF you can do that, I'm sold. What I hate now is having 800-1000 DVDs and wanting to see a movie and having to go through binders of DVDs to get it. I have them cataloged but it's still an annoiance to retreive it and then put the DVD and binders back. Plus they take up a very large space; I'm on binder #5 right now. I'd like to have a system I can do everything electronically. Select a name and BAM ! starts playing on the HD TV.
Is that possible with Apple TV?
(BTW- these are not commercial copies, but ones I've burned off TV - TCM, AMC, Fox, etc. They're in standard DVD format. How would you save in H.264?)

I greatly appreciate your expertise.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 12:24 PM

That's exactly what I do right now -- although most of my content is actually from the ITMS. Connected to my Mac I have a 2TB drive where I store all my iTunes content, which I can then access through the Apple TV to play on the HDTV in the living room. The only drawback I've found so far is that you have to have your Mac turned on and iTunes open in order for it to share stuff with the Apple TV. This will especially be true with the new Apple TV which has no (or little) onboard storage of its own ...

As for converting to the right video format, I haven't really had cause to rip my own stuff, so I'm not even sure if H.264 is the right format, much less how to convert stuff (maybe as simple as choosing "import" from iTunes?) ... anyways, I'll leave that bit to John or someone who actually would know what they're doing ;-)
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 01:21 PM

I have ripped a few kids dvds and put them in my library for access via AppleTV. I believe they were regular MPG2 rips... hafta check.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 02:14 PM

Quote:
I've burned off TV - TCM, AMC, Fox, etc. They're in standard DVD format.

How do you do that?

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 02:27 PM

Ripping DVD's isn't as easy as CD's, but there are choices. I use RipIt because it's the fastest out there that I know of. But it makes the file into DVD files, so then I have to use Toast to convert that to .m4v, which is what can be played on the AppleTV.

Dave,
here is my 1TB external HD with movies:

Click for full size

And here is how they appear in iTunes:
Click for full size

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one

DVD's you rip yourself are stored wherever you want them to be stored -- they're yours and you can do whatever you want with them (except, you know, make money off of them and stuff ;-) In order for that content to work with Apple TV, they'd have do be saved in a certain format (H.264?) and included in your iTuned library so the Apple TV can find 'em. Alternatively, if the movie lives on an iDevice (iPod, iPad, etc.), you'll have the option of streaming the video from one of those =)

So as they exist now I can use iTV to send my ripped DVDs to a TV. I understand.

I've just been playing with QuickTime and "saving" movies "as" to try and put them on my dotmac Gallery. Also I don't really get HD either. I'll get there one of these days.

The ones I've just done are at the bottom of my Gallery page.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 06:31 PM

It's easy Nana, Use TiVo or a DVR (Dish, Direct TV, etc) and record the movie off TV. Connect the recorder to the input on a DVD burner (I've got an older Panasonic). Play the movie and hit record on the DVD Burner.. VIOLA ! Movie on a DVD.

I use the 4 hr mode because many are B&W older flicks and I can get 2 on a DVD. I've recorded about 1400 movies to date. These DVDs play on any DVD player. Just got In Harms Way and Midway , can't beleive I never recorded them! Course, longer flicks I can only get 1 per DVD like the 2 above.

I've saved a bundle over buying commercial DVDs.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 06:35 PM

Very nice John, so I assume the answer is yes ! laugh
So how do you store them on an external and get iTunes to recognize them on the main HD. Is there any trick to that?

I'm looking to buy a 2 Tb external, for movies both for theatrical and home movie storage.

Thanks !
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one

The new version gets rid of the on-board storage and is all streaming, all the time. No purchases directly from the unit -- you have to buy stuff using iTunes on the mac and stream that content. You can rent still rent stuff directly, however. Aside from that, it provides the same functionality as the old unit, plus let's you grab Netflix stuff if you subscribe to the instant streaming service (which is spooky-great magic, btw ;-) ... Plus, it'll let you stream stuff from your iPhone/iPad, which opens up a lot of opportunities, especially if you can stream Keynote presentations and stuff ...

Bleh, PS3 does all of that already (videos streaming wirelessly off my phone actually are pretty cool), and for only $100 more you also get a game system and blu ray player.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 08:21 PM

Yeah, except I already have a BluRay player and am not really interested in a gaming system ;-)

You're right though, something like the PS3 is a nice all-in-one solution, although of course you lose all the iTunes content, and I doubt the PS3 would stream all my content from the Mac ;-)

None of which may be an issue, depending on what you've set-up ...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 09:19 PM

Jobs has always said the Apple TV was just kind of a hobby. I think he's still just experimenting, looking for the niche for everybody's tivo sort of thingy. Everybody is doing DVR, and he hasn't found a way to do it better yet, but he likes it so he's still developing variations.

IMHO of course.
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/02/10 11:31 PM

Good. There's one more more important thing to deal with other than some settop box.

They've forgotten the router.

It's gotta at least be multi-band.

What would really be nice is for the router to handle inputs to the television and home theater gear, w/demuxer, HDMI, and Toslink for the audio gear. I wouldn't think that would kill settop sales, but it would sure be nice for people with laptops and iPads ( well, I guess some people would like that with desktop setups, even ).

Settop boxes for cheapskates, and a killer router to rule them all for people who've thrown down good money for Apple computers and tablets.

I've never owned an Airport, but if Apple had a killer modern router fit for the new living room, I'd be all over that.

Ed

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/03/10 08:58 AM

Dave,
Once I rip them and put them on my external drive, I then drag/drop them into iTunes.

iTunes automatically puts them into the Movies section. But, then you have to hit the Sync button in the AppleTV section of iTunes. I select "Manually manage" in iTunes instead of automatically syncing.

There is a program (can't recall name right now..am at work) that you can use to add in artwork and information on movie.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/03/10 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Ripping DVD's isn't as easy as CD's, but there are choices. I use RipIt because it's the fastest out there that I know of. But it makes the file into DVD files, so then I have to use Toast to convert that to .m4v, which is what can be played on the AppleTV.

Dave,
here is my 1TB external HD with movies:

Click for full size

And here is how they appear in iTunes:
Click for full size

I don't get it.
I opened the image up in another window so I could see what the movies are.... but when I click on them nothing happens.

/butters popcorn...

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/03/10 02:11 PM

That's because you don't have an iPod Classic.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/03/10 05:28 PM

Where's the frikkin smiley?

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/03/10 07:20 PM

<--- to the left of my sentence laugh

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/03/10 09:53 PM

I don't think that counts, John.
cool
smile
smirk
wink

Maybe a simple - LOL works

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 09:02 AM

John I tried RipIt but it says it can't rip 40% of the disk. These are DVDs made with a Panasonic DVD recorder from a DVR. Are they in the wrong format? Is there a program that will convert these to H.264 or some format RipIt can use ?

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 11:52 AM

. . . Is there a program that will convert these to H.264 or some format RipIt can use ?

Dr.Dave:

I rip my movies [Mactheripper or Ripit] to video_ts format. I can use DVDRemasterPro to convert them to

You can choose width, bitrate, frmerate, multipass.

Also you can choose what device to export/format for

and . . . you can make them go directly to iTunes.

Misha, at MacUpdate says:

MU rating is very low, but read the reviews and make your own decision.

http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 11:52 AM

I don't have any experience with those type of DVD's. Ripit works great with store bought ones.

Have you tried handbrake?
http://handbrake.fr/

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 12:01 PM

Using Ripit, what format do you use to export to iTunes. Or iTV.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 02:01 PM

I'm guessing wrong format. The format that exists on a DVD is very different than that from a televised/transmitted show. That has already been compressed and is likely some form of Mpeg 2.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 02:13 PM

John I tried RipIt but it says it can't rip 40% of the disk. These are DVDs made with a Panasonic DVD recorder from a DVR. Are they in the wrong format? Is there a program that will convert these to H.264 or some format RipIt can use ?
RipIt is for encrypted DVDs only. You should be able to just copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the Panasonic DVD to the computer and work with that.

Are you trying to make copies of the disk, or trying to convert them to some other format.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 08:16 PM

Just trying to make a format that iTunes can use. smile

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 09:32 PM

Handbrake will do that for free. :-)

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/04/10 11:30 PM

It's easy Nana, Use TiVo or a DVR (Dish, Direct TV, etc) and record the movie off TV. Connect the recorder to the input on a DVD burner (I've got an older Panasonic). Play the movie and hit record on the DVD Burner.. VIOLA ! Movie on a DVD.

I use the 4 hr mode because many are B&W older flicks and I can get 2 on a DVD. I've recorded about 1400 movies to date. These DVDs play on any DVD player. Just got In Harms Way and Midway , can't beleive I never recorded them! Course, longer flicks I can only get 1 per DVD like the 2 above.

I've saved a bundle over buying commercial DVDs.

Thank you so much!

I have been scouring the net for my "classics."
Slowly building up a "classic" movie collection. Last winter I burned all of my favorite Bette Davis movies and 71 episodes of the Amos & Andy TV series. This winter I am going to work on Barbara Stanwyck & Joan Crawford movies.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 06:11 AM

OMG you have the old Amos and Andy series...

WOW I remember those and have copies of a few episodes...
They're racially sensitive but I think that's over done... All in the Family is racially sensitive if they are and so is Sanford and Son. Sure Kingfish was a scoundrel and Andy a fool, but Amos was the sensible and smart member of the cast. So were Sapphire and her mother. all sitcoms are like that. And I know reading about Hal Roach who produced the series he was very sensitive to racial issues... he produced The Little Rascals and many Laurel and Hardy shorts.
What's your favorite episode?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 07:43 AM

Don't you need some kind of software to record from the DVR to the burner, David? I guess I don't understand how the burning takes place without a computer in between the DVR and the burner.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 07:50 AM

No, no software or computer needed.... just run a cable from the DVR Out signal to the DVD burner In. Play the DVR and hit record on the DVD burner- not much different from when you hooked up a VCR to your TV years ago. That didn't require and additional hardware either.
Getting into iTunes is far more trickier. wink

BTW - I appreciate all of the forums help !
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 07:54 AM

I'll have to try that some time, then.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 08:13 AM

Kate,
Handbrake does all that and it's free.

The format I have Ripit is what it's set on default:

Click for full size

It does comes with a Compress, but I haven't ever used it:

Click for full size

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 09:21 AM

My favorite Amos & Andy episode was when Sapphire kicked Kingfish out of the house. In the meantime Sapphire found a job at a GYN office which Kingfish followed her to. He thought she was pregnant. laugh

The Little Rascals & Beulah are on my "classic" list.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
So, why buy an iPod Touch?

For the Face Time?

I really think facetime/camera is coming to the next gen iPad because they said HDR will, which means the iPad will have to have a camera.

Sorry for the late reply ...wasn't subscribed to the thread.

I'm getting the iPod touch instead of an iPhone. I wanted something I could carry in my pocket that had a camera in it. I'll be able to either facetime, Skype, or text the wife any time i've got wifi. I don't take my iPad out of the house very often. It's just become my main in-home computing device.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 02:43 PM

Thanks John. smile

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/05/10 06:35 PM

I remember 2 that I thought were hilarious... one where Andy has a valuable nickel and Dr. Kingfish swindles him out of it by performing a "nickelectomy", and then puts it in a pay phone by mistake ! He cracks open the phone to get the nickel and gets arrested laugh
The other is Andy's Flying lessons ! HA what a hoot!
Some great laughs.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 05:31 AM

Yeah, you can stream anything from a mac to a PS3 with PS3 Media server, works really well.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 10:13 AM

PS3 Media Server is great!

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 11:17 AM

Is this server free or subscription?

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 11:18 AM

cool! Good to know =)

But since I already have a BluRay player and don't really want a gaming system, that wouldn't be such a great solution in my case -- especially at 2-3x the cost of the new Apple TV ...

To each their own, though. If I was starting from scratch I might consider a PS3, although I'd have to weigh the fact that I'd be paying in part for the gaming functionality, for which I really have no need =)

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 11:48 AM

That's what I ran into when we got the PS3....we just didn't use the gaming function hardly at all and the blu ray (to me) wasn't all that overwhelming. So we sold it.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 02:58 PM

carp, PS3 media server is a DLNA program that runs on your mac, PC or linux box and serves up files from your computer to your PS3. It even converts formats on the fly if the PS3 doesn't support them, to something it does.

I like it a lot because the quicktime files my Kodak HD camcorder outputs don't play natively on the PS3. But I don't have to do a thing with them, since PS3 media server converts them on the fly.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 03:01 PM

That's true, if you don't play games the PS3 might seem like a waste. However, a PS3 is probably less than a decent blu-ray player plus an Apple TV.

Does Apple TV do web sites like Facebook? I guess that's a bonus, since the PS3 has a web browser.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/07/10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
carp, PS3 media server is a DLNA program that runs on your mac, PC or linux box and serves up files from your computer to your PS3. It even converts formats on the fly if the PS3 doesn't support them, to something it does.

I like it a lot because the quicktime files my Kodak HD camcorder outputs don't play natively on the PS3. But I don't have to do a thing with them, since PS3 media server converts them on the fly.

Thanks

So PS3, is using your computer as a server? is that correct.

Re: who's watching the streaming video? - 09/09/10 04:08 AM

Yes, that's right.

There are a lot of DLNA servers, including Windows Media Player on windows, Twonky, and a few others. PS3 media server is specific to the PS3 and transcodes on the fly however.

My phone has DLNA built in, it will stream pictures, music and video over wifi although the PS3 doesn't recognize .3gp extensions for videos so I have to reencode them.