Intersting rumor

Posted by: JohnR

Intersting rumor - 05/02/03 04:36 PM

Over at MacRumors (NOT macOSrumors! they are saying:<br>A well-informed source told us that the first PPC 970 single processors at 1.4 GHZ have left Hon Hai?s assembly lines. This is excellent news because they will be available much earlier than envisaged at the start. The single processor will be in stock and sold at the end of May, whereas the top-of-the-line [chip] will arrive mid-June, right before WWDC.<br><br> The only downside: the machines will be furnished with OSX, but not optimized with 64 bits. With every purchase of such a machine, Mac OSX 10.3 will be offered when it is ready in September. In this state, unless Apple opposes it, we will reveal the benchmarks of the machine on May 15th at the latest.<br><br> [ MÓJ ] Apple US is offering an exceptional 30% employee rebate on pro G4 models. This is the first sign of the demise of the [G4] computer. Note that the 17" iMacs are also part of Apple's promo<br><br>I checked over at Apple Store and they do seem to have a lot of items in the refurb section.<br><br>Any comment nutty? (please oh please say yes! )<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Intersting rumor - 05/02/03 05:11 PM

I bet his lips are sealed. Anyway, John Ashcroft was seen leaving his house with a carton of used duct tape.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Trog

Re: Intersting rumor - 05/02/03 06:21 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Anyway, John Ashcroft was seen leaving his house with a carton of used duct tape<p><hr></blockquote><p> I about spilled my coffee when I read that Yo-yo. I'm sure nutty could never say anything about it anyway without putting his job at risk.<br><br>It doesn't make sense to me, though. Why would they put the hardware out there when OSX isn't yet ready for it? And didn't IBM say it was going to debut at 1.8GHz?? I don't know, it would be great to get them out quick, but because of those two things I'm a bit skeptical.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Intersting rumor - 05/02/03 07:17 PM

They would put it out early because PowerMac sales are pretty low these days. Everyone knows the 970 is coming and they're waiting for that. And many of the graphic artists are waiting for Quark 6 before upgrading too.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Intersting rumor - 05/02/03 07:23 PM

I hope you're right, but it just seems like that model might be a bit "rushed"?? I don't know, give it to me and I'll check it out <br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Intersting rumor - 05/03/03 12:23 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>It doesn't make sense to me, though. Why would they put the hardware out there when OSX isn't yet ready for it? And didn't IBM say it was going to debut at 1.8GHz?? I don't know, it would be great to get them out quick, but because of those two things I'm a bit skeptical.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>The first generation of the PPC 970 will debut at 1.4-1.8GHz, and it won't be until they switch to the .09 manufacturing process that they will get to the planed 1.8-2.5GHz range. If you look at IBM's website where they announced 2.5GHz PPC 970 based servers you will find nothing more than a list of news in German.<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "