iPad

Posted by: Clark

iPad - 01/27/10 11:33 AM

What do you think?
Are you going to get one?

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 11:40 AM

It's more attainable than a MacBook, but with my current paltry income, not for a while.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 11:42 AM

If I ever was to consider getting one, I would get the wifi only one.
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:12 PM

I think it has tons of potential. But like the iPhone I will probably wait until the version 2 refurbs are going for $299.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:20 PM

I'm thinking refurb, too, unless there is a miracle and I get full-time employment.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:24 PM

Should of been called MegaPod because that's what it is. I don't see it as something "new and revolutionary". It's an iPod on steroids.

Sorry Michael, I didn't mean to reply to you.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:32 PM

Now I understand why it's not in the Apple Store:

This device has not yet been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:33 PM

Well, the iPod itself wasn't revolutionary. It simply took mp3 players to a whole new level. This iPad is (will be) much more than an iPod will ever be.
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:36 PM

Truly horrible name.
The whole "i-Whatever" naming scheme is played out.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:38 PM

I'm impressed that they were able to get those price points.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:38 PM

I agree. The whole iThis 'n' That is getting long in the tooth.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:39 PM

The problem is...it's not AS portable as the iPod. My wife LOVES the iPod Touch because she can do the simple things on it (surf the web, mail, facebook, play games) and stick it in her pocket when she has to work.

This thing can't be stuck in a pocket. Set it down somewhere and you have to keep your eyes on it.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:40 PM

I iagree, it's ibeen iover iTen iyears isince ithe iMac. Time for a new naming scheme.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:42 PM

Can she read a book on it? Watch a movie without going blind?

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:46 PM

No on the books. But it's not like we read a lot of electronic books anyway. Give us the paperbound books any day!

As for movies, I watch them all the time on mine and so does my wife and son. But, I do see the advantage of having one for a trip.

Then again, a laptop does the same thing and more....for only $300 more than the top iPad wifi one.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:52 PM

Like I said: Given the option of buying a MacBook or an iPad, the iPad is much more affordable for me.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark
What do you think?

I don't think about it at all.
No.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark
What do you think?

No. Not now. Can't say NEVER! smile

Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:12 PM

I'm interested in checking one out -- the $499 one is tantalizing ... not sure I need the 3G =)
Posted by: carp

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:15 PM

I agree

the (i) is more consumer related products , the Pro is well for Pros - But since Apple (i) products are becoming more PRO class at each refresh . They should be dropping the (i) tag

I prefer a real book over the e-books anyday
Posted by: Papa

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:17 PM

I read books on mine all the time. I don't mind the screen for short intervals like at lunch or in the doctors waiting room. I download the public domain books for free.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:22 PM

I still thinks its 100 over priced across the board - the 3G adds coverage when theres no Wi-Fi . The good thing thing is the 3G is sold open so you can get any carrier , nothing said about CDMA though ?
Posted by: DLC

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:34 PM

iAgree, oh iMaster !!

laugh
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:38 PM

I would have loved a 3G model for my Texas to California road trip. The MBP was overkill and the iPhone was too small for some things. The iPad would have been perfect.

Ditto on the iThis and iThat naming scheme. iPad makes me cringe a little.

I liked this list though...so true...

Control-click or right-click to enlarge in a new window.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:41 PM

Ummm, the Kindle in the same size is $489 and it does only one thing and only has 3G - no wi-fi and it's monochrome. The Kindle has just been killed.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:42 PM

Thats to funny - laugh
Posted by: eckhard

I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 01:47 PM

.... looks like an iPhone on steroids. Too small (and uncomfortable) for home use and too large for taking along. Besides, lacking GPS and telephony, it seems strangely hobbled.

I guess, it would make a fine eBook reader, brag-book or sales/presentation tool and be a decent gaming platform. But none of those would make me want to plunk down €700. Between my MBP and iPhone, there is no room for another toy that needs recharging, etc.

A slightly larger iPhone - about an inch more in screen diameter - would have been hard to resist, but this is not a must-have for me.

Will be interesting to see, where the market will be.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:49 PM

Now, the Kindle has never been sold here, but how well has it done over there? Is there much to kill, in other words?

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 01:55 PM

we both seem to have that same "on steroids" response. wink
I also agree with your comment on size.
Especially in summer, it is so nice, to carry the world in your shirt pocket.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 02:17 PM

If I can't read it in the bath, it's not a book wink. zzzzp - dzzzz - fzzzzt

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: eckhard

Now, the Kindle has never been sold here, but how well has it done over there? Is there much to kill, in other words?

Its not a bad size market over here - I guess ?
Apple did raise the bar on the Kindle and e-readers , so they either can catch up or lose out . With that said maybe Apple can grow this book market in Euro as well ?
Posted by: Mike

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 02:35 PM

Pricing is great. Couldn't be better!
However, I like my portable 'Touch', and for more heavy 'lifting', there's my MacBook.
At this time, I can't see a need for one.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 02:38 PM

But for those who are Touch-less and MacBook-less, it's a winner.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 02:40 PM

The Kindle has been a big success AFAIK. I know a lot of people with them.

I don't know that iPad will kill it however. The kindle does many things well that the iPad is going to struggle with. For instance, it's screen is like reading on paper, there's no glare and you can read out in bright direct sunlight. 3G access is FREE, and the battery lasts an entire week before a recharge. Of course, you can also replace the battery if you need. smile

Also, if you subscribe to newspapers they will wirelessly deliver to the Kindle before the physical copies reach newsstands.

I suspect the kindle prices will sharply drop, and Amazon will still make plenty of money on the device.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 02:45 PM

I think the market is for those who want to do more than their smart phone is capable of but don't want to have to lug a laptop around ...

The iPad does have GPS (although you'll need wireless/3G connectivity for it to work, like the iPhones), and telephony could be handled by Skype or some other voip app ...

For an opening shot, I think this device is pretty nicely done -- we'll probably see other stuff like cameras for videoconferencing in later revs ... I doubt Apple will add a phone on this device, though.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 02:46 PM

I can't see holding it up to my ear for a phone call. laugh

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 02:49 PM

Yeah, I really don't see where this was designed with making phone calls in mind ...

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 02:54 PM

but you could plug in the apple earphones for the phone part.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: eckhard

But none of those would make me want to plunk down €700.

??? The most expensive one lists at about €590. Would taxes add *that* much?!?

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 03:13 PM

I'm not saying they *couldn't* add a phone capability; I just don't think that's in Apple's mind for what they want this device to do ... and I really don't think there would be tons of demand for that functionality (and for paying a higher cost to get it) given you could do essentially the same thing with the existing hardware and features ...
Posted by: Nana

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 03:16 PM

Couldn't agree with you more about the name. I thought they were talking about a feminine product! Besides, the thing looks & acts like a giant iPod Touch. sleep

Todays Doonsbury

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 03:26 PM

Except it has the potential to do more than a Touch ever could.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 03:49 PM

Kotex says the same thing about Modess.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
I'm not saying they *couldn't* add a phone capability; I just don't think that's in Apple's mind for what they want this device to do ... and I really don't think there would be tons of demand for that functionality (and for paying a higher cost to get it) given you could do essentially the same thing with the existing hardware and features ...

Only enterprise would need the phone part of the iPad - like I mentioned above and in that other thread

Otherwise its just a iTouch which has a larger screen <-- you choose what size screen you want . Pro or Consumer iTouch
Posted by: zwei

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 03:52 PM

I'm planning on buying the $499 model. I don't own an iPhone or iPod Touch yet, so I think this is the perfect time to get in on the action.

What I'm hoping Apple will announce in the near future is a version of the iPod Touch with 3G data-only capabilities. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.
Posted by: Lea

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 03:58 PM

So, yeah, that name ~ iPad ~ wasn't doing much for me, either. What? No women on the design team? "Ah, Steve . . . ?"

While I'm here, I completely agree with whoever (sorry, hard day here at LaHacienda) said earlier ~ Thank god it's something I don't want for a change.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:04 PM

Ahem:

I pad...

...I pad...

...I pad.

Thankyew, thankyew.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:10 PM

xxxxxxx

Edit: It was you, wasn't it?

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

So, yeah, that name ~ iPad ~ wasn't doing much for me, either. What? No women on the design team? "Ah, Steve . . . ?"

While I'm here, I completely agree with whoever (sorry, hard day here at LaHacienda) said earlier ~ Thank god it's something I don't want for a change.

To funny

We where talking about the same thing - like something you plug in at that time of the month laugh

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: zwei
I'm planning on buying the $499 model. I don't own an iPhone or iPod Touch yet, so I think this is the perfect time to get in on the action.

What I'm hoping Apple will announce in the near future is a version of the iPod Touch with 3G data-only capabilities. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

Well its the best ever , iTouch - forget about making any calls

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:42 PM

I can't believe more hasn't been said about the name. Has anyone at Apple ever heard of youtube or a search engine? laugh

Probably NSFW, or kids, etc.
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs&[/video]

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 04:43 PM

It isn't intended to be a phone! It's an internet device. Sheesh!

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:46 PM

LOL

The good thing is all this Apple sub-culture that never existed before - well hardly

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
It isn't intended to be a phone! It's an internet device. Sheesh!

I think we all know that - laugh
Just would have been better if it did . <-- thats all

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:48 PM

Lea, now you & I & the rest of the female Mac users know that Steve did not consult with his wife or daughters on the name. laugh

It's obvious that there were no females at the round table when it came time to come up with a name for this giant iTouch. If any were on the design team, I bet the "design" would have matched the name. whistle

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 04:48 PM

Yeah, then you'd look like one of those "cool" guys with his boom box hoisted on his shoulder. laugh

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:54 PM

But seriously, folks. (I'm trying, I really am. *snicker.*) Giving a brand new product a name that's only one friggin' letter different than the name of your other really successful product?

"Whoa, check out my iPad."

"That's bigger than I thought it would be."

"iPAD!!"

"Oh. I thought you said . . ."

"Honey, have you seen my iPad?"

"Yeah, Brenna's, got it, listening to Garbage."

"iPAD!!"

"Oh. I thought you said . . ."

I could do this all day. laugh

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
Lea, now you & I & the rest of the female Mac users know that Steve did not consult with his wife or daughters on the name. laugh

It's obvious that there were no females at the round table when it came time to come up with a name for this giant iTouch. If any were on the design team, I bet the "design" would have matched the name. whistle

Soooo
iTouch your iPad <-- how romantic is that laugh

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

I can't believe more hasn't been said about the name. Has anyone at Apple ever heard of youtube or a search engine? laugh

Probably NSFW, or kids, etc.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs&[/video]

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 04:58 PM

laugh laugh

Think of the portability possibilities. And it would probably do windows, too. laugh

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 05:04 PM

laugh laugh

Think of the portability possibilities. And it would probably do windows, too. laugh

Not with out the additional (FireWall Protection) which adds another iPad . You don't wanna get that Blue Screen of Vag.......... never mind
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Phosphor
Truly horrible name.
The whole "i-Whatever" naming scheme is played out.

Yeah, it's time they updated to match their MobileMe network... The new Pad-Me!
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 05:28 PM

The device itself looks cool, but the price for 3G access seems completely out-of-touch. Add 3G access to the iPod Touch and you have the killer device.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 05:33 PM

Unlimited 3G data for the iPhone is $30/month - required. Unlimited 3G data for my little LG handset is $15 - optional.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 05:47 PM

Quote:
Add 3G access to the iPod Touch and you have the killer device.

Add 3G access to the iPod Touch and you have an iPhone ;-)
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

Agree 100%.
Love my iPod touch, but… Half of the fun is showing it off.
"If I only had a WiFi connection, I could show you tons of cool stuff".
Not the best advertisement.
The other half is just being able to use it as intended.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 06:16 PM

Someone answer this, Is it multifunctional? (or like the iPhone- 1 task at a time?)

Does it have a USB port ? If not - why Not ?

I guess you connect to a desktop through WiFi ?

I haven't had time to look these up... easier to ask you smart folks ! wink

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 06:20 PM

It did not appear to be multifunctional today. It has a dock port that also serves as a USB/sync port.
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 06:26 PM

I haven't really had time to check this stuff out, but briefly cruisin it looks to be you can sync via USB (although, like I said, no clue, this might be glorified proof of concept stuff, so most likely product-globally out the door at least one USB), and looks to be a pay to play deal for the rest of the stuff (3G, etc), i.e., if you're 'low play' you can do a 'low pay' version, and you pay more to play more (pay mo for mo features). They seem to have the price game sorted out and locked down smartly, i.e., I think they've hit some well deliberated sweet spots.

Ed

I'd like an HDMI out smile video out

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 06:43 PM

I wonder if they have Bluetooth sync rather than having to plug a cable in every time.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 06:44 PM

I'm curious about that, too. Seems plausible.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 06:55 PM

According to macrumors it supports an external display and has a shared directory that will mount on a mac or pc.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 07:41 PM

I'm curious about that, too. Seems plausible.
Cell phones have been syncing with bluetooth for last 6+ years? It seemed plausible when the iPhone came out, Apple doesn't want to enable it for some reason.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/27/10 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
According to macrumors it supports an external display and has a shared directory that will mount on a mac or pc.
Thanks. Someone here I think mentioned lack of a video out port, but that looks like the compact solution, through the dock connector like the iPods and iPhones, not like a laptop with a dedicated video out port.

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 08:30 PM

How much pr0n does the 64GB hold?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 08:51 PM

Not enough??

Re: iPad - 01/27/10 09:54 PM

With WiFi N capabilities I'll be waiting for someone to make a streaming client (i.e. PS3 Media Server) for the iPad. Why waste all the space on the iPad when you can leave everything on your Mac and just access it remotely? Watch out AppleTV

HOPEFULLY Apple will get things figured out with the iTunes store and get more into streaming vs downloading.

I love my Netflix streaming and Amazon VOD.
Posted by: Mac007

I'll probably get one......eventually - 01/27/10 11:07 PM

I'll have to save up for it since I'm retired now but I think I'll get the WiFi one as the iPhone takes care of my communication needs. Then I can add it to my Apple family which consists of a MacPro tower in my bedroom, a Mac Mini under my widescreen TV, a MacBook, and of course my iPhone. Can't have too many Apple products now can I. wink

P.S. One thing I learned about the iPad is that the dimensions are very close to my Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet. I also noticed they're providing a dock for an external keyboard which I really like. As for the lack of both Flash and multitasking I say meh! I've lived without both on the iPhone and they're not mission critical to me.
Posted by: Mac007

This is just the beginning! - 01/27/10 11:16 PM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or sick

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/28/10 12:52 AM

...and if it can be jailbroken, there's scope for multitasking anyway, or at least backgrounding of apps smile.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/28/10 01:04 AM

I'll have to retract some of what I said about lack of connectivity, but I still see this thing mainly as a flashy useless gadget. Maybe, if I didn't have a laptop, I might see some use for this, but even then the OS this thing holds would be a definite deal-breaker, as well as the one-trick-at-a-time ability.

Nokia has had their Internet Tablet out for a couple of years already, too, but apparently it hasn't been a huge hit. Granted, it is much smaller than the iPad, but with very similar features, so it's not like the ipad is really even bringing much new to the table, to be honest. Larger size, check, sleeker design, check, seamless integration to the Apple ecosystem, check, oh, and the 3G capability when willing to pay more, check. Like one friend of mine said "it's like netbook, only crappier". Not to mention when Nokia announced their minilaptop/netbook some time back, I found that to be a bit of an overpriced dud as well. I'd think most of the crowd willing to get a netbook, will get a netbook and not this thing, unless they specifically want an Apple product to complement their Apple repertoire.

Meh, at this point of its lifespan I see this thing mainly as a mere vanity item thats maybe fun to show off to houseguests or lugging it to an internet cafe to show to everybody. Sorry, not impressed at all. Last time I felt this much of 'NOT impressed' was with the LCS (Liquid Cooling System -- which was basically just a way overclocked G5 requiring all that cooling). Scratch that, I laughed back then and loved the way the Apple Hype Department spun that one, and wasn't quite as much 'NOT impressed' as this time.

Not to say this won't grow to be something revolutionary, though, I do see a lot of potential and that touch screen operation is the future of computing (and smartphones etc.), but for me, personally, right now this thing could use real OS X to have more (real) apps on, bigger data capacity obviously, or a wi-fi access to a NAS box would do it, too, and a pressure sensitive stylus for sketching and other design work would be a killer. Or even Office suite support for many would work obviously for field work.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/28/10 05:12 AM

I think (HOPE) we're going to start seeing data plans from wireless carriers that are going to allow multiple devices. Paying $60 for phone access, $60 for tablet access, $60 for netbook/laptop access is a bit ridiculous.

After all I pay one fee for my home 'net access and have various computers, game stations, DVR's plus ipod and phones accessing through it.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 06:01 AM

But VOIP would be neat and a free function.

Re: I'll probably get one......eventually - 01/28/10 06:17 AM

No, it's not multifunctional. It's exactly like the iPhone/iPod Touch. Unless they do some major re-writing of the iPhone OS, it'll never be multifunctional unless you jailbreak it.

No USB port. The only connector is the one for the cable to computer. But there are 2 devices already for it:
iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

No, you can't connect via WiFi. At least, if it's like the iPhone, you can't. (can you do it with yours?) Looks like you can only sync via the cable. The Bluetooth is only for the keyboard/headset.

Wireless
With built-in 802.11n, iPad takes advantage of the fastest Wi-Fi networks. It automatically locates available Wi-Fi networks, which you can join with a few taps. iPad also comes with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, letting you connect to devices like wireless headphones or the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Originally Posted By: DLC
Someone answer this, Is it multifunctional? (or like the iPhone- 1 task at a time?)

Does it have a USB port ? If not - why Not ?

I guess you connect to a desktop through WiFi ?

I haven't had time to look these up... easier to ask you smart folks ! wink

Re: I'll probably get one......eventually - 01/28/10 06:18 AM

Yup, dumbest name ever. What were they thinking???

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:06 AM

A phone and voip are two different things -- you wouldn't even need 3G for voip, for instance =)

Re: I'll probably get one......eventually - 01/28/10 07:12 AM

Quote:
No USB port. The only connector is the one for the cable to computer [...]

No, you can't connect via WiFi. At least, if it's like the iPhone, you can't.

Well, like I say, there has to be *some* way to get iWork files on and off the device, and those files will probably be too large to e-mail ... so there's got to a wired or wireless connect functionality to xfer files somewhere in there ;-)

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/28/10 07:13 AM

MicMeister, I think you are missing the point of this device. You seem to be wanting just another laptop. I'm pretty sure Apple's vision for the family is one central "full fledged" computer, and a cheaper satellite device for everyone else in the family. You'll import and edit all your photos/videos/etc. on the main computer and the results will be available to everyone that's interested.

It's not going to be for everyone, because some people do things like code websites or work in maya for fun. (I'm guessing you fall into this category) If the device doesn't do what you enjoy doing a large percentage of your time it would be a "flashy useless gadget". Fortunately it's going to do practically everything I want it to (and the majority of consumers). The fact that it's a giant/super iPod Touch is what's selling me. It'll be something I can use for hours at a time on the couch …unlike an iPod Touch, which is too small for casual use.

Re: I'll probably get one......eventually - 01/28/10 07:15 AM

Quote:
No USB port. The only connector is the one for the cable to computer [...]

No, you can't connect via WiFi. At least, if it's like the iPhone, you can't.

Well, like I say, there has to be *some* way to get iWork files on and off the device, and those files will probably be too large to e-mail ... so there's got to a wired or wireless connect functionality to xfer files somewhere in there ;-)

Apparently it mounts a share on your desktop when you connect it. Although services like dropbox (already available on the iPhone) will do the sync for you wirelessly.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:16 AM

Well, it also has 802.11n wi-fi. You should be able to put it on your home LAN and transfer files at will.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/28/10 07:20 AM

Quote:
Maybe, if I didn't have a laptop, I might see some use for this, but even then the OS this thing holds would be a definite deal-breaker, as well as the one-trick-at-a-time ability.

Well, remember they're positioning this in between a laptop and a smartphone -- obviously if you already have a laptop, this isn't meant to replace it (although I have heard speculation this could be a MacBook Air killer) ... but yeah, the biggest complaint I've seen so far is the lack of multitasking and no camera. I bet we see a camera in the next rev or two. The multitasking may or may not be a problematic fix ...

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:26 AM

Well, it also has 802.11n wi-fi. You should be able to put it on your home LAN and transfer files at will.
Transfer files yes, but that doesn't mean you can sync up iCal and Address Book like every RAZR I've had for the last 5 years has been able to.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:31 AM

IIRC, they showed syncing to a desktop in the demo.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/28/10 07:32 AM

IMO it is a bit bulky to use as a camera, or as a phone without using a headset. An iSight on the front for chat is one thing, but it's a bit big to hold up and shoot pics with.

A GPS chip would be useful though, I'm surprised that wasn't included since it's in the iPhone already.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:43 AM

IIRC, they showed syncing to a desktop in the demo.
Via a cable probably? Like the iPhone. This is 2010 and no wireless sync? If the sync is wireless I'll eat my words but I don't think it is.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux

But VOIP would be neat and a free function.

Aha!

iCall announced today that Apple had made changes to iPhone SDK that makes Voice over IP (VOIP) over cellular networks possible.
With the latest revisions Apple has made to the iPhone developer agreement and Software Development Kit, iCall for the iPhone and iPod Touch now enabled unrestricted free local and long distance calling over 3G data networks.

iCall claims to be one of the few VoIP applications that has been permitted by Apple to operate on the iPhone platform. This allows users to make telephone calls over AT&T's 3G data network without using their plan's minutes.

The no-VOIP-over-3G restriction had been in place since the launch of the iPhone SDK due to Apple agreements with AT&T. AT&T announced that it would allow such applications back in October and Apple promised to make the necessary changes.

The change comes with the launch of the Apple iPad which suggests that these same applications could be used to make voice calls on the new device. The 3G enabled iPad notably does not include any voice service with its $30/month unlimited data plan, but it does include a microphone and speaker. We're not sure if these iPad data plans will be somehow excluded from the VOIP apps, but it would otherwise offer an inexpensive contract-free way to make mobile phone calls.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:55 AM

Does the Touch sync over wi-fi (or is syncing restricted to via MobileMe)?

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 08:07 AM

It doesn't sync via wifi unless you buy MobileMe. The only other method to sync is via cable. Maybe someone with one can verify that for me. That's what irks me, to get what other devices have had wireless via bluetooth for free for years, they make you pay more for every year with MobileMe, or you have to plug in a freakin' cable every time you make changes to your calendar, which I do quite a few times a day. With my RAZR it's hit the button and it syncs, in my briefcase, on my hip or wherever, no stupid wire needed.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 08:11 AM

I agree. With wireless devices and connectivity becoming the norm, these devices should be able to freely communicate among themselves.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 08:13 AM

Here's a question...will my iPhone data plan cover this device too?
Of course not. So I would be expected to pay another $30.00 a month? LOL. No freekin way.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 08:14 AM

Yeah... but it's a Razr.

jk...LOL
Posted by: steveg

Re: Mr. Speaker -- The President of the United Sta - 01/28/10 09:49 AM

LOL. President-Schmesident. According to Ad Age, Steve Jobs and the iPad generated a/b 25% more traffic on Twitter than the Obama's SOTUA. shocked

Ok, Reboot, how are youse gonna move half a post? laugh

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Of course not. So I would be expected to pay another $30.00 a month? LOL. No freekin way.

I would suspect if you already have an iPhone AT&T 60 buck account , I would think you would get a discount off the 30 iPad plan <-- thinking since if your on your iPad that means your not using your iPhone

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

I would suspect if you already have an iPhone AT&T 60 buck account , I would think you would get a discount off the 30 iPad plan <-- thinking since if your on your iPad that means your not using your iPhone
But someone else could be using one, while you're using the other.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

But someone else could be using one, while you're using the other.

Very true or you could be talking on the iPhone while your using the iPad - either way your either talking or using the data which if is an unlimited plan AT&T would not care since your paying for it to begin with . Now a question would be could AT&T know if your surfing the web on the iPad and someone else is surfing the web on your iPhone ? But still that does not matter if you bought a separate data plan for the iPad to begin with

Apple made NO mention if those plans were for new time buyers ? or people who already had a current plan for an iPhone ? Rather just one price with details to come.

Hence I figure you should get a Family type of plan for the iPad <-- if thats not going to happen then I agree to pay 60 bucks and then another 30 . Is rather crazy .

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 02:13 PM

if thats not going to happen then I agree to pay 60 bucks and then another 30 . Is rather crazy .

Zactly.

I would be ok with paying either nothing more... or mebbe $10.00 more dollars.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 02:42 PM

Yeah
Thats what I was thinking was a 9.95 family type of plan , if your already on the top of the line unlimited plan for the iPhone . More so if you already have 2 or more iPhones already on a family plan then to add another 30 bucks = WoW

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 03:40 PM

Gruber nails it.

"It is surprisingly, delightfully, iPhone-esque in many ways. But if you use it for just a few minutes, it becomes obvious that the iPad is not a big stretched-out iPhone, but rather that the iPhone is a shrunken stripped-down version of the iPad. The iPad is what they’ve been building toward all along."

via http://daringfireball.net …lots of good stuff on there the past couple days.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 04:01 PM

I do like the article and the way he writes .

I don't agree with the iPad was all along what Apple wanted and not the iPhone .

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 04:20 PM

Apple wanted both …no doubt. It's just that the hardware price/tech dictated that the iPhone come out first. Gruber is talking more about the UI experience …not the hardware itself. Apple clearly set out to build a touch PC, and the iPad was the result. The iPhone, while an awesome piece of technology, simply isn't meant to be used for hours at a time. There is never going to be a time where looking at a website or pictures or email or videos is going to become just as easy to do on a pocket-sized device. The iPad UI is going to be the FULL multitouch experience. The iPhone is always going to be the "mobile" multitouch experience.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 06:44 PM

Maybe not Steve, AT&T is already complaining 5% of their clients have an iPhone and they consume 40% of AT&T's bandwith...
They might do nothing but take your extra $$, and figure it's "payback" ! wink

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 07:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe not Steve, AT&T is already complaining 5% of their clients have an iPhone and they consume 40% of AT&T's bandwith...

OMG.. what a load of horse shiit from AT&T. Did they not think the iPhone was going to be a huge success and suck lots of bandwidth??
The are lots of smartphones that do all the same things as an iPhone... they don't complain about them on other networks.

Pah!
Don't partner up on a device that is going to tax your network if it can't handle it.
Besides.. at a $30.00 premium over the usual bloated charges they should be able to take whatever steps are needed.
That's $360.00 a year times how many iPhones?
Millions.

Wiki says..

Approximately 6.4 million iPhones are active in the U.S. alone.

Let's assume a safe margin and figure that half of those are on the $30 data plan. (it was $10.00 initially.)
That is 1,152,000,000.00 annually.
Add in the $10.00 guys...that's another 384 million.
Somewhere's around 1.5 BILLION in Data plan monies.

Add that money on to funds they already have allocated for building out their infrastructure...

Get off your arses and build a better infrastructure ...@#$%^& AT&T.
They have a winning cash cow on their hands and are complaining about it.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 08:25 PM

AT&T profits up 25%

ATT also says it's going to improve its wireless network. We'll see.
Posted by: FSM

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 08:50 PM

yeah, clearly the iPhone is good for AT&T. they're just pushing the limits on what they can get away with before complaints about poor network get too significant. as long as iPhone sales show growth, then that's a clear sign that news of poor network performance haven't cut into AT&T's profits. but AT&T also knows that the growth is directly tied to their need to build/improve their network. i suspect they'll improve it just enough to maintain the status quo of a lot of complaints, but not pervasive complaints. doh.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 08:57 PM

Ummm..holy crap.

Quote:
the company said it activated an additional 3.1 million iPhones on its network during the fourth quarter.

I think my numbers are extremely conservative.

PLus... I'll bet only 20% or less are still on the 10.00 plan.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 09:00 PM

Quote:
In addition, AT&T said it worked closely with Apple to plan for connectivity demands related to the use of the iPad. But it said it largely expects the iPad to be used in coffee shops and at home, where users can rely on Wi-Fi, as opposed to dragging down the company’s 3G network.

Greatly underestimating what people will do with the device.. again.

Re: I'm an iTad underwhelmed ...... - 01/28/10 09:25 PM

You're right about that.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/29/10 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: zwei
MicMeister, I think you are missing the point of this device. You seem to be wanting just another laptop. I'm pretty sure Apple's vision for the family is one central "full fledged" computer, and a cheaper satellite device for everyone else in the family. You'll import and edit all your photos/videos/etc. on the main computer and the results will be available to everyone that's interested.

It's not going to be for everyone, because some people do things like code websites or work in maya for fun. (I'm guessing you fall into this category) If the device doesn't do what you enjoy doing a large percentage of your time it would be a "flashy useless gadget". Fortunately it's going to do practically everything I want it to (and the majority of consumers). The fact that it's a giant/super iPod Touch is what's selling me. It'll be something I can use for hours at a time on the couch …unlike an iPod Touch, which is too small for casual use.

Nah, I'm not missing the point of this device. I'm missing the point of putting a crippled OS on it, which is clearly limiting what it is intended to be used for. wink

The points already made about not being able to have your AIM, Skype, Messenger and/or whatever IM you prefer on at the same time you're surfing and/or checking and sending email are true, it's crippling to say the least. Especially for a web device. Lot of my use with the MacBook is also incidentally surfing the web on our couch, and it also involves skyping, IM'ing, sometimes IRC'ing with my friends, sharing links, reading and responding to emails, billing clients (Numbers->PDF->email) etc.

And especially, if this thing is intended to be a satellite device, and with a Wi-Fi connection, the ability to have it connect to a media server, NAS box, whatever, for videos, music etc. would make even more sense.

Lately I myself have been looking into NAS boxes (Time Capsule is not an option for various reasons) to connect one into the router, perhaps with two or three drives to have our household laptops backup to one and also to have all our media files on it. Then I wouldn't have to hook my mobile drive onto my laptop every time I want to listen to my music - makes no sense to keep it all - some 90 gigs - stored locally on the laptop.

This Apple's direction of moving to closed system architecture is, well...
Posted by: MrB

Re: iPad - 01/29/10 02:25 AM

Although a bit strange a name, I think it will transcend into another product that will cover the market .

I am sure Apple considered all names

dave

Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/29/10 03:04 AM

Well, surprisingly a lot of developers like the crippled OS, for web security reasons, for offloading daemons, etc to the webserver, and in general that might not be such a bad idea. Personally, I don't care for toy apps and OSes, but those toy apps might have been due to the limitations of the iPhone itself, as the other surprising thing is that a lot of iPhone developers and ex/refugee developers really really like the iPad, as they couldn't do what a lot of stuff that they wanted due to the iPhone screen size, and now feel they've got a good app platform, and so it's expected that some really cool apps are going to show up for the iPad. For a lot of developers now, it's all about the iPad.

And you know what they say about applications . . .

Ed

That sucker's got to multitask, though - I don't get that at all. That's the crippler.

Re: iPad - 01/29/10 03:18 AM

Heh -- I like Jon Stewart tonight and their alternative name: the TamPod =D
Posted by: Jashue

Re: iPad - 01/29/10 07:33 AM

I never get tired of Downfall mashups! This is a particularly good one:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/29/10 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: MicMeister
Nah, I'm not missing the point of this device. I'm missing the point of putting a crippled OS on it, which is clearly limiting what it is intended to be used for. wink

The points already made about not being able to have your AIM, Skype, Messenger and/or whatever IM you prefer on at the same time you're surfing and/or checking and sending email are true, it's crippling to say the least. Especially for a web device. Lot of my use with the MacBook is also incidentally surfing the web on our couch, and it also involves skyping, IM'ing, sometimes IRC'ing with my friends, sharing links, reading and responding to emails, billing clients (Numbers->PDF->email) etc.

This Apple's direction of moving to closed system architecture is, well...

Being able to multitask certain things would be nice. Who knows, maybe the 4.0 software will enable some of this on the iPad.

As far as being a closed architecture …you are still seeing this thing like a Laptop and not an appliance. It's no more closed than an Xbox or PS3 …or smart phones like the Pre. Those are the type of devices this should be compared to. The fact that it does things that people normally associate with a PC use is causing confusion.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/29/10 12:11 PM

I agree Zwei

Its not really a closed system , Apple is IMO , is trying to conserve battery by not allowing certain functions and is really concerned about security and 3rd party software quality .

I mean who gets the blame for poor battery life , security holes , crashing apps = Apple

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/30/10 01:54 PM

Okay, this tickled me...

Posted by: Mike

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/30/10 05:22 PM

Well, considering that the iMacs now come with a 27" screen....That huge MacBook does seem like the next 'big' thing! wink

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/30/10 06:27 PM

Another take on the iPad.

http://www.macworld.com/article/146038/2010/01/ipad_future_shock.html

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 02:42 PM

I think I have changed my mind as far as getting one. I think this will be the replacement for our old iMac when it bites the dust.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 03:16 PM

We were seriously thinking about getting a MacBook for Xmas. I'm so glad I waited. I don't think I could have justified an iPad if we just got a new laptop. Now, the iPad is going to save us $500+.

I'm going to make a prediction right now that I'm probably only going to have one "full-fledged" computer in the house from now on. Probably an iMac because I like desktop computers more than laptops. (I really don't do any heavy work outside of my house) With the introduction of the iPad I don't see myself ever needing multiple Macs from this point on. I'll be able to do all my most frequent tasks from the couch, and anything seriously complicated on the iMac.

I do expect to add an iPod Touch to my list of devices for mobile computing …but I'm at least going to have to have a camera on it before I spend the money.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 03:32 PM

I'm starting to see how an iPad could be used. Yeah, I thought about a laptop to replace our iMac but now, like you, I'm glad we waited. This actually fills all of my wife's needs. And I like how you can purchase each app separately (Numbers, Pages, etc) because we don't need the whole iWork suite.

Once we do get one, it'll more than likely be the wifi one but I can see where having the 3G one would be useful. I wonder if you can buy say a month's service of 3G then cancel it? then re-subscribe again for a month later on? Or if you can buy minutes instead of say a month long. Now that would be cool.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 03:43 PM

John the 3G part is pre-paid and you can cancel anytime , well its pre-paid for a month at a time .

You just need to find in the 140,000 apps thats out there - Theres gotta be something that suits a your need ? ?

Still for me who does not even have an iPhone - its not for me at all .

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 03:43 PM

I'm starting to see how an iPad could be used. Yeah, I thought about a laptop to replace our iMac but now, like you, I'm glad we waited. This actually fills all of my wife's needs. And I like how you can purchase each app separately (Numbers, Pages, etc) because we don't need the whole iWork suite.

Once we do get one, it'll more than likely be the wifi one but I can see where having the 3G one would be useful. I wonder if you can buy say a month's service of 3G then cancel it? then re-subscribe again for a month later on? Or if you can buy minutes instead of say a month long. Now that would be cool.

Yeah, I don't ever see myself needing Keynote. Wish I could by parts of the iLife suite separately as well. I'd be saying goodbye to at least Garageband and iDVD.

If you travel a lot 3G makes sense, but we only go out of town a couple times a year at best. It's definitely not worth the extra $130 +monthy charges for us.

As far as the 3G service goes, yep, you'll be able to buy one month then cancel until you need another month. That's awesome!

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 03:44 PM

The iPad doesn't have a way to connect to a projector, does it? Without that, I have to depend on a laptop.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
The iPad doesn't have a way to connect to a projector, does it? Without that, I have to depend on a laptop.

Yes it does via the 30 pin connector with the USB at the other end

The last projector that I used was connected via USB cable and a video /monitor cable - I am assuming the 30 pin would carry both ? .

Anyway Apple said you can connect it to a projector . Also no mention of a Remote for the iPad in this case of presenting Keynotes ?

To be honest on my work PC laptop - to projector -via- Power Point . I had no remote either

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 03:54 PM

I bet if they've got Keynote on there, they've got a cable to connect it to a projector coming along too. Be crazy not to.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 06:00 PM

heheh

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC35SO5JJLI[/video]

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 06:03 PM

I suppose you're right, pad--another cable to buy, then :p

The projectors we have now are all VGA--the next upgrade (whenever that takes place) will probably be to HDMI, or at least to DVI. I hope there's cables for all of these things when the iPad comes out.

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 06:31 PM

I changed stations right when that came on. Pretty funny...wonder how he got ahold of one?

Re: This is just the beginning! - 01/31/10 06:33 PM

He's got a massive following …and the grammys make one hell of a marketing opportunity. Nice work Apple!

Re: This is just the beginning! - 02/01/10 11:23 AM

I changed stations right when that came on. Pretty funny...wonder how he got ahold of one?

Maybe he got one of those Demo / testing ones that Apple sends out to select people ?

Funny his wife was like a sour grape .
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: This is just the beginning! - 02/01/10 12:33 PM

Maybe he got one of those Demo / testing ones that Apple sends out to select people ?

Did anyone get one of these? wink

Re: iPad - 02/11/10 02:53 PM

We can now rest easy: Bill Gates has passed judgment on the iPad and says there's no there there.

Re: iPad - 02/11/10 03:08 PM

I saw that. He still doesn't "get it." laugh

Re: iPad - 02/11/10 04:31 PM

Quote:
I wonder, though, in the months to come, how many people at Microsoft will wish Microsoft had, indeed, done something like it--perhaps a few years ago too.

Gates best words