Wow! Cool design!

Posted by: Mike

Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 04:50 AM

This looks very much like an 'Apple'-designed tablet, except for the name. grin
And the price is just about right: $399.00!
The Camangi
Looks like competition is going to be fierce!
That 'Wonder tablet' from Apple better be priced correctly!

Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 05:57 AM

That looks very nice, and I like that it runs Android. Android is shaping up very nicely.

Apple is going to have to drop the price of the iPod touch at least $50.

There is a version of android that runs on my phone, but it's not fully implemented yet. When it is, you can bet I'm wiping that sucker and putting android on it!
Posted by: zwei

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 07:00 AM

Interesting, but I don't think there is any reason to get this android tablet over an android smart phone.

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 08:18 AM

I'm not so sure about that 'handle/stand'. It's attached via suction cup.

But, according to the Gizmodo reviewer, it's a complete 'dud':....:

"My suspicion is that the unit is basically a digital picture frame loaded with a cell phone version Google Android with a touch screen. It came with a phone headset complete with a mic and answer button. All through the menus there are mentions of things like "baseband" and "ringtones" but it's not a phone. And the weird thing is that I don't think the processor in it is even powerful enough to run a phone. Had they marketed it as a touch screen digital photo frame with a web browser and sold it for about $100 it would be somewhat reasonable. And before you think about complaining about how hard I'm being on it, consider this: The WebStation is $390. For $199 you can get an iPod Touch. If mac made a 7 inch iPod touch it would blow this thing out of the water. Completely. Or for about the same price you could get a Dell Mini 9, or an Archos 7 – which are completely different products, but still something to consider. Or you could save your money and wait for Apple to release the iSlate and I suspect that will be the CE product of 2010.
Of course there is more to the WebStation that I didn't have time to cover, but to be honest the rest really doesn't matter. The weather app is nice and works well. So far I haven't figured out how to load music on it and so haven't been able to try out it's ‘cover flow' mode. But essentially it's about as powerful as a digital picture frame, and that's very sad. Basically my plan at this point is to call American Express and find out what I can do to return and refund. In my opinion the Camangi WebStation is a total fail and I can't recommend it to anyone at any price."

Gizmodo
Posted by: zwei

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 09:54 AM

The Apple event has now been confirmed for the 27th …we'll see soon enough!

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 11:53 AM

Interesting, as the tech specs list a nearly 700mhz processor. It's about the same power as an iPhone. I don't know any picture frames with such hardware.

I did see in the forums however a task manager for killing open programs. Some folks said programs stayed open and the thing slowed down.

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 11:54 AM

I'd like it as an internet tablet at home. Really need a bigger screen than what's on my cell phone.

Have to see what Apple's is like, and the price.

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 01:36 PM

Well, according to some sources the price for the parts of the Apple 'Wonder tablet' amounts to ca. $340-$350. Knowing that Apple will add just a 'tad' more, I going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess-timate $599. Too low?

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 01:38 PM

Thin MacBook or 'Tablet'?
What would happen to Apple-stock if the 'new' product were (just) a thinned down MacBook? cry
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 01:56 PM

Depending on its capabilities, $599 or $699 seems about the max they could get away with and still sell them.

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 02:14 PM

For $699 it better be 'packed' with all kinds of 'wondrous' capabilities. And it also better have more to offer than the 'Touch' ; i.e.: more than just a larger screen. wink
And it appears there will be more 'new stuff'....
"A new report Monday from FoxNews.com cites an anonymous source to claim Apple will introduce its tablet, "iPhone 4" and iLife 2010 at next week's event.
Clayton Morris said the event will focus on the three products, but new iPhone hardware will not be introduced. However, he said, iPhone OS 4.0 (which he referred to as "iPhone 4") will be a part of the proceedings.
"I spoke to a source at Apple this morning, before the invite hit my inbox, who said the event would likely focus on three projects: The tablet device, iPhone 4, and a new round of iLife 2010 software," Morris wrote. "While we won't see new iPhone hardware just yet, we will see the next-generation software."
According to AI
Posted by: carp

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 02:44 PM

Well

To me

I think Apple should stay out of the tablet market <-- sorta pointless with the MacBook Air
I still don't understand why people buy a tablet anyway , just a crippled PC laptop , use yer smart phone for checking email .

I would love to see.
1 - iPhone 4.0 <-- lets hope with a double camera for iChating and conference calls
2 - Have more then 2 apps open at the same time <-- like everyone else --> whats up with that ?
3 - Nice bump in iLife , only if they add back features that was taken away from the last update

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 04:10 PM

Hmmmm... I think by "iPhone 4" they just mean a software update, not hardware.

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 04:56 PM

These incremental upgrades is not the way to go - btw the pack seems to have caught up and passing Apple .

They need something more then just another upgrade to stay ahead
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 04:59 PM

They still have a way to go to catch up to Apple.

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 06:26 PM

Quote:
They need something more then just another upgrade to stay ahead

Well, sooner or later things will 'dry up' in the field. There's only so much you can pack into a little gizmo. That's why I'm not holding my breath for the 'Wonder Tablet'.
I just hope that come summer 2010, Apple will cut a deal with other carriers (like Verizon).

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 06:38 PM

Yep

Not to sure with what Apple can come up with ? ?

Maybe start making Apple TVs and I mean the monitor . I mean buy a 1080P TV from Apple .
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/18/10 09:02 PM

Wall Street Journal has a story on Apple negotiations with publishers.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/19/10 12:21 AM

Me, I'm curious as to what the next iPhone hardware upgrade might be. The contract on my 3G runs out in March, so I'm due a "free" (read: cheaper) upgrade, and I'm going to wait to see what comes next, rather than getting a 3GS. Mainly what I want is a faster OS with more ram. A better camera would be nice too, since it's my main camera these days. I don't want it any larger than it already is.

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/19/10 02:06 PM

Thats a dog

Check these out

Apple tablet: The video previews

If Apple comes close to that then it will be cool - at 399 tops

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/19/10 02:40 PM

Cool indeed! But there's NO way, Apple's 'Wonder Tablet' will come in at around $399!
C'mon, Carp! This is Apple!! The estimates range from $600 to $999!
(Some sources now also claim that the 'thing' won't be available until June!)
Source: AppleInsider

Re: Wow! Cool design! - 01/19/10 04:53 PM

Yep

I suspect and taking bets on - iSlate will be around 599 , which is to high - IMO

If iSlate comes in around 999 <-- forget it the gig is up -- get a laptop instead