"I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle

Posted by: Mike

"I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 06:42 AM

What they (Windows users) think of us (Mac users)...
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOolyHf8HjY&feature=player_embedded#[/video]
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 07:36 AM

It's just people, innit? You get exactly the same stuff from windows users if you want to switch to mac. He's right, it's nothing to do with computers at all, it's just group mentality that's at play here. And you only get to hear the noisy ones - all the folk that are happy with their own choice of computer/OS and are happy with whatever anyone else wants to use will never get heard, because they're too busy getting on with it to bother saying anything.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 07:58 AM

While there's always going to be fringe elements responding to blogs like his -- which basically slams Apple and Steve Jobs at the outset, so why wouldn't you be expecting posts that disagree with you? -- I actually had to read through part 3 of his "controversial journey" to get to a reply I thought was disrespectful ...

Most of them were cogent and fairly well-reasoned -- I think he just has a problem with people disagreeing with him in general ...
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 08:41 AM

Here's the link that 6oA left out:

http://www.chicagocarless.com/im-not-a-mac-archive/

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 08:54 AM

In the video, the dude's writing and delivery remind me of Glenn Beck.

eek.
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 11:36 AM

I didn't think many people hate the "other side" like this any more. I don't hate Windows users. I just hate using Windows. My dad still chooses to use Windows. I don't hate him because of it. My take on it is, 90% of the people still don't know what they are missing with Macs. Most buy Windows OS computers because they can't afford a Mac.
Posted by: carp

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 12:41 PM

Quote:
Apple’s deep and unilateral control of so many aspects of my computing life

WHAT ?

Does anyone here feel that Apple has unilateral control of their computing life ? I don't
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 01:21 PM

Everything he's done software-wise on his Mac basically disproves that such onerous control exists ... if it did, how does all that non-Apple software even run on his Mac?

I get the impression he's mainly pissed that Apple updates don't support his jailbroken iPhone ...

Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 01:47 PM

Carp, Apple does have control of our computing life. We have to press the power button to turn it on. That's something we must do and that's control that we just must not put up with.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 01:53 PM

There is some truth to the idea that Apple controls the hardware we use. If you're running Windows or Linux you can buy hardware from a slew of computer manufacturers, but if you want to run OS X, you have to use an Apple product--peace be unto the hackintoshers. On the other hand, no one needs a web site to reveal that fact.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 01:55 PM

And then they spend all the money they saved on anti-virus, spyware, malware apps. (also for all the apps they need to make those Windows PCs marginally useful). laugh
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 02:15 PM

Interestingly enough, a Mac user would be smart enough to know what EIS is... or at least have enough dough put the camera on a $5 tripod.

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 02:20 PM

laugh

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 03:00 PM

Maybe I should send the guy a cardboard box he could sit the camera on. laugh

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 03:22 PM

Leastways we went and done told 'im what's what, eh Sarge!?

laugh

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 03:30 PM

Just can't resist, can we? wink

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 05:22 PM

Quote:
If you're running Windows or Linux you can buy hardware from a slew of computer manufacturers

Yes you can buy any butt ugly box ya want <-- But now Windows is running his life laugh I don't think that is where he gets it in the end . So now he is a PC weenie and does not even see it laugh

Just my 2 cents in this

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 05:37 PM

That also invites a myriad of hardware/software conflicts.
Posted by: DLC

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 05:46 PM

I agree with iBookMaster, I don't hate Windows users, I feel badly for most of them stuck in a computer H3LL... cause most can't afford better.

I bet if you placed a menu in front of 100 people and said here's 10 computer models - it's FREE, which one do you want ? (3 of 10 are Mac- iMac, MacBook Pro, MacPro- other 7 are various models of Wintel machines) I bet 60-75% would choose Mac. The major hold outs would be big gamers. . . and of course, Windows anti-virus/malware programmers laugh

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 07:15 PM

Hey, I use Macs for a reason!

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Apparently not for education ? ?

Quote:
There is some truth to the idea that Apple controls the hardware we use. If you're running Windows or Linux you can buy hardware from a slew of computer manufacturers, but if you want to run OS X, you have to use an Apple product--peace be unto the hackintoshers. On the other hand, no one needs a web site to reveal that fact.

LOL

I dont no but I do have an HP printer next to me , maybe I should look again laugh ahh a Canon Camera , ahh Neo Office for transferring files to a PC , ahhhhh should I make a long list ? ?

I see where your coming from but thats really a half truth . Don't let the school IT dope ya
Posted by: ctan

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Apparently not for education ? ?

I dont no but I do have an HP printer next to me , maybe I should look again laugh ahh a Canon Camera , ahh Neo Office for transferring files to a PC , ahhhhh should I make a long list ? ?

I see where your coming from but thats really a half truth . Don't let the school IT dope ya

Take it easy there bud. Let's not get hateful. Keep it constructive.

---

My take is that to use the Mac OS properly you have to accept a more limited hardware selection. BUT ... You also don't have to deal with drivers. There are some compatibility issues, but if your third party vendor sticks to standards & industry guidelines, your device "should" be compatible with OS X in the most basic forms. The devices that do work well with the Mac OS also get a small but dedicated customer base. So you have a few companies that work well with your OS (OS X) and they continue to develop their hardware and software to work well with your operating system.

I am 98% willing to not have to think about hardware options and choices in excess when I go to buy a computer. When I go to buy a Mac I accept that I am going to have a few choices, but they will all satisfy my needs & wants. Maybe there might be one or two things that I would need 0.1% of the time that my Mac wouldn't have. But generally I can work around it, and am willing to be happy 99.9% of the time with my computing choice by choosing Apple products.

Stepping down now.

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/29/09 07:53 PM

So you run OS X on your HP printer, eh? Live and learn.
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: "I'm not a Mac!" -Mike Doyle - 11/30/09 06:47 AM

"I'm a tech-related blogger wanting a lot of hits in a short amount of time. What do I write about? Hmmmmmm."