Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall!

Posted by: RadioC1ash

Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/14/08 11:26 AM

New MacBooks, "Brick" explained

As we suspected, postulated,posited, conjectured, and hopped, Apple has announced today that they will indeed be refreshing their notebook lineup for this fall. Looks like the 13" MacBook and the 15" Pro will get a full makeover and new graphics adapters. While the 13" White MacBook will remain, but with an upgraded chassis and a lower price tag. The 17" Pro will stay pretty well the same but with a larger hard drive et al. I'll be interested to try out the new trackpad as soon as I get a chance.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/14/08 02:24 PM

yea, but I want to know if this is dual dvi or just some stupid name for a 30" display connector...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z...newest#overview

I mean, the macbook pros have 2 graphics cards. They should be able to support dual dvi out... Anyone know? I need clarification...
Posted by: termatt56

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/14/08 07:25 PM

I wonder why the 17" Macbook pro wasn't upgraded to the new form factor, seems strange

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/14/08 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: "termatt56"
I wonder why the 17" Macbook pro wasn't upgraded to the new form factor, seems strange

That is strange indeed... My guess is they would have had to create an entirely different machining process and that would have been prohibitively expensive. Also, I would bet the 17" model doesn't have nearly as many sales as the 15". So, it will be interesting to see what they do with the 17" model...

Will they phase it out or update is soon?
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: "oojacoboo"
yea, but I want to know if this is dual dvi or just some stupid name for a 30" display connector...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z...newest#overview

I mean, the macbook pros have 2 graphics cards. They should be able to support dual dvi out... Anyone know? I need clarification...

It looks like it has a usb plug as well, and it's price ($99) suggests that it's more than just a cord, but it does say it is to dual-link dvi, which makes me think it should work for any dl-dvi monitor.

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 05:12 AM

Yeah, no dual monitor output. Its the same exact video out that the Air has.

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 02:07 PM

so, whats the difference in dual-link and dual output? I think thats a bit misleading to say the least...

I guess we'll have to wait for a 3rd party company to put out a product to take advantage of the two graphics cards. It should be possible. My only concern at that point would be the temperature created from running both graphics chips at once.
Posted by: flippy10

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 02:53 PM

You guys need to check out the notes from the keynote wink

@Engadget
"10:57AM Q: What's up with the 17-inch?
A: Tim: It's being refreshed today as well."

To the best of my knowledge the dual-graphics cards aren't designed to run as you are suggesting. There has been some speculation as to if the system is running a HybridSLI solution, though there hasn't been any word yet. In the end though, it's going to have to be a USB-based solution, like the ones that are out now. Since the port itself only supports driving a single monitor at a time (Technically, two if you count the internal video.)

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 02:54 PM

I imagine that USB could either be a monitor hub, or perhaps conversion chipset power?

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 03:15 PM

I'm not sure what you're getting at, flippy. The Apple website says that the dual graphics adapters are meant to run one at a time. the 9400 runs when you want better battery life, and the 9600 runs when you need better graphical performance. Maybe I missed something?

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 03:43 PM

Some people speculate that the 9400 will help boost performance when you're using the 9600. Aka, in a Hybrid SLI. It's not confirmed, and especially not by Apple, but I wouldn't see why it couldn't be true since the chip controls are software based.

The second part of what I said was toward the dual-external monitor part of the conversation.

Please excuse anything I say at this point, because I'm quite sick, and reading back on what I said, it was pretty frayed.

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 04:50 PM

not dual external monitors, dual-link dvi, which is what you need for pushing the 30" display - it's basically a beefed up version of dvi, needed because the 30" has too many pixels for regular dvi to work

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 06:25 PM

soundmann, yes, I realize that, but, my thinking is this. If there is a dual-link dvi that has extra pixel density. Then it should be possible to create a cable and module that could split that up to two dvi outputs. Then, you could run the laptop and two extra heads.

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 08:33 PM

oh right, i didn't see that was what you were going with in your first post. the 30" is 2560x1600, so it would make sense that you could do 1780x1600 times 2, but yeah, I'd guess you'd need some an adapter like the matrox thing <http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/> (I think this was featured on MacMod a while ago) that would make the mac think it is only one display

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/15/08 10:02 PM

yea, I know about the dual and tripple head2go products, but I was under the impression that it took the standard resolution and split the lines to duplicate it somehow, which would defeat the purpose here. The purpose would be to utilize the full potential of the graphics card.

Anyway, guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens here...

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/18/08 10:54 AM

I thought that thing split an input to two sources, so osx thinks it has one monitor of 2048x768 or so, that is split to two 1024x768 monitors. so putting the dock on the bottom would leave it split over two monitors

Re: Confirmed: New MackBooks this Fall! - 10/18/08 11:17 AM

I think your right sound. But, I think it does some magic trickery with the lines of pixels... need more research...