Apple disapoints

Posted by: maestro

Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 06:20 AM

Apple let me down today. A video iPod and iMac....snooze.

-maestro
Posted by: Jias

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 06:32 AM

Absolutely.

I was with ThinkSecret on this one, thinking that the video iPod was a ways off still, if only for the reason that it will draw sales away from the Nano.

The iMac is pretty neat (included remote, Mighty Mouse standard, built-in iSight), but I was excited to see new Powerbooks and Powermacs... can anyone say dual-core? Ah well, hopefully we'll see that before the end of the year.
Posted by: soundmann18

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 06:41 AM

agreed - though i would push my parents to get the iMac, probably won't happen tho, they were looking at the $300 Dells frown

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 07:06 AM

soundmann18 wrote:
Quote:
agreed - though i would push my parents to get the iMac, probably won't happen tho, they were looking at the $300 Dells frown

Ouch man. My folks went with a Gateway when they got a new machine a year or two ago. Every time I make the trip to visit (5-8 hours, depending on if it's by car or train) I run virus scan and spyware cleanup. My brother would do it when he's home (and he still is in the summer), but now that he's at college, it kind of makes it a bit more nessisary to do when I can. It's not too bad, it's an email machine mostly anyhow, and my mom actually keeps up on updates.

And my brother... I tried to get him to go with an eMac, but he got some Windows machine (maybe an HP? I don't remember now). Low and behold, as soon as he got to school, with no way to easily get it back to where he bought it, he runs into some massive failure. I can't help him since I haven't regularly run Windows in... 2 years? and I can't acually see the problem, but it sounds like a bad hard drive. So he needs to take it back for warantee repair, but he can't get it back to the store... it's a mess.

If they go with the Dell, make sure they get some serious tech support, unless you're prepared and able to do it for them.

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 07:23 AM

yeah, I'll probably end up dong that kind of thing for them too. Maybe my little sister will learn, my little brother not so much...

Also, it seems as though the new iPods dropped Firewire sync. so boo to that
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 07:32 AM

Jias wrote:
Quote:
I tried to get him to go with an eMac

Heh... he couldn't get it now even if he wanted to. Apple has taken it off the consumer line.

edit: available via apple education store.

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/10/12 14:35

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 08:16 AM

Dont get me wrong, the new iMac is great. Its the computer it always should have been.
iPod+video, why? Who in their right mind would watch videos on a 2.5" screen? And you can download music videos on iTunes, so what. This is the least revolutionary iPod yet. I guess all good things must come to an end--there really wasnt anywhere else for it to go.

-maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 08:24 AM

ok, iTunes 6 rocks. I just imported my music videos into it and it has a separate section for them. It also plays the videos where the song art usually displays. Definately something I have been needing for a while, music video organization! Cheers.

Also the new frontrow looks promising. Glad apple is taking these steps. I think there is alot more to be taken from these releases than is shown. wink
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 08:58 AM

Think the guys who wrote CenterStage are Pissed off about FrontRow?

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 09:30 AM

mordaskyt wrote:
Quote:
Think the guys who wrote CenterStage are Pissed off about FrontRow?

Centerwho?

laugh

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 09:39 AM

yea, they gotta be pissed. Kinda like the guy with konfabulator and all the others wink

Here is my itunes6 now :P

Only problems that I see the inability to organize old videos/tv shows/movies with ease. Even my G5 stutters a little when messing around with some of these videos in itunes. It organizes all your videos inside a program called "itunes". It copies and organizes the files inside of your music/itunes/ folder. But, I would def say its a step in the right direction.

I say, rename the app, gear it to media, not music, and we will be ready to roll!

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2005/10/12 16:56

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 10:09 AM

How many here think that the ipod of the future will converge with a newton like device

hint: check out apples patent apps whistle
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 10:27 AM

Wish I had an USB IR input device and a copy of Front Row to mess with right now

Also, I tried loading some videos into iTunes 6. Within secons, my Mac mini sounded like a Harrier and I swear it started to hover. Well that parts a bit of a fib, but iTunes does not handle video like it should. You're better off loading QuickTime.

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2005/10/12 17:30

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 01:18 PM

Where did you find a copy of front row?

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 01:51 PM

shadow, who mentioned they had a copy? I think this was a great release, I couldn't be more pleased, although I won't buy any of it, I think everything is great. The iMac upgrade was very impressive as well! bluetooth, superdrive, frontrow, isight and lighting, remote, all standard, how can you complain? O yea, its thinner too. wink
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 01:53 PM

Whitlock said
Quote:
Within secons, my Mac mini sounded like a Harrier

So Thats what it was.. :woohoo: :lol: :silly:

Post edited by: anil8tor, at: 2005/10/12 20:54

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 03:23 PM

Eh, I read you wrong wink
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 03:48 PM

i have acutally been thinking of getting a new powerbook or a imac... i think, since i already have a powerbook, i might go the desktop option.

Deviant
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 06:01 PM

This may sound stupid, but how do you copy videos into your video library in iTunes 6? I tried drag-and-drop, but the video library won't let me drop anything onto it. And I can't find a video subsection in the Music > iTunes > iTunes Library folder.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 08:18 PM

Heres why I think Apple has made the iPod to play video. To compete with Sony's PSP.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/12/05 11:40 PM

I'm not disappointed either. Happy to wait for the dual core PowerMacs as I really want one and have no money.

Who would want to watch video on a tiny screen? No-one with any sense. But thats why they have video out.....

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/13/05 02:18 AM

JediJoker7169 wrote:
Quote:
This may sound stupid, but how do you copy videos into your video library in iTunes 6? I tried drag-and-drop, but the video library won't let me drop anything onto it. And I can't find a video subsection in the Music > iTunes > iTunes Library folder.

I think it has to be MPEG or H.264.

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/13/05 03:08 AM

Okay, so maybe I jumped the gun. The iMac is awsome, although I wouldnt buy one (i couldnt live with one screen or no upgrades). The iPod is awsome too, better than the last although video on a 2.5 screen is dumb. Video out, now that could be useful. Maybe I should just get one and see how it is. Still disappointed, I wanted some kick ass powermacs!
-maestro

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/13/05 03:58 AM

But the video would be great on a plane! You know, so you could watch videos.... on a plane!

Now if they only made the screen a little bigger and put a keyboard on it, it would be perfect!

Then you could put it on your lap, and use other programs with it!

oh wait....

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/13/05 05:27 AM

JediJoker7169 wrote:
Quote:

just drag them into your library or your dock icon for itunes. O, and most every file type works, except wmv

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/13/05 03:08 PM

JediJoker7169 wrote:
Quote:

Here's a way to put divx files into iTunes
Posted by: iProd

Re:Apple disapoints - 10/13/05 05:05 PM

shadowboxer47 wrote:
Quote:
But the video would be great on a plane! You know, so you could watch videos.... on a plane!

Now if they only made the screen a little bigger and put a keyboard on it, it would be perfect!

Then you could put it on your lap, and use other programs with it!

oh wait....

Built in keyboard would ruin the...iPodishness...of it...but an addon would be reaaaaally awesome! And wifi and bluetooth and a touch screen...
Posted by: usbcd36

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/14/05 03:30 PM

I think you all missed the point of these new products: the new features aren't anything to pay extra for, they're just side additions. The iPod didn't have raised prices for the new features, they even dropped the price on the 60GB and added an extra 10GB to the entry-level model. Even if they didn't have video playback, they'd still be good. Heck, I don't mind watching videos on my Linux-ed 3G iPod even though the screen is .5" smaller and over 250,000 colors less, so you should all try it and THEN tell me that the 5G iPods suck. Also, the iMac G5 upgrades are nothing to complain about, they upped the processor speed by .1GHz, changed out the AGP video for slick PCI-E ATI X600 cards, added a $150 iSight to the top and made the thinnest computer in the world thinner. Sure it's not Apple's style, but tell me that when you buy one of these products that you got gypped, that it sucks. Just try to compare them to their predecessors and tell me they got worse. Even the competition falls away in the face of these new devices. I like Steve Jobs' picture of the remotes for the media PCs. Simply put, media PCs are too complex. Also with the iPod, you won't find a comparable media device for that price, the most you'll get is a video player that accepts CF cards (which I might add cost extra).

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/15/05 05:32 AM

usbcd36 wrote:
Quote:
I think you all missed the point of these new products: the new features aren't anything to pay extra for, they're just side additions. The iPod didn't have raised prices for the new features, they even dropped the price on the 60GB and added an extra 10GB to the entry-level model. Even if they didn't have video playback, they'd still be good. Heck, I don't mind watching videos on my Linux-ed 3G iPod even though the screen is .5" smaller and over 250,000 colors less, so you should all try it and THEN tell me that the 5G iPods suck. Also, the iMac G5 upgrades are nothing to complain about, they upped the processor speed by .1GHz, changed out the AGP video for slick PCI-E ATI X600 cards, added a $150 iSight to the top and made the thinnest computer in the world thinner. Sure it's not Apple's style, but tell me that when you buy one of these products that you got gypped, that it sucks. Just try to compare them to their predecessors and tell me they got worse. Even the competition falls away in the face of these new devices. I like Steve Jobs' picture of the remotes for the media PCs. Simply put, media PCs are too complex. Also with the iPod, you won't find a comparable media device for that price, the most you'll get is a video player that accepts CF cards (which I might add cost extra).

I think the point was that we were looking forward to PowerMac updates, not necessarily that what is here is bad. But it seems as though we'll be satiated, as there's another Media Event this Wednesday

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/15/05 02:10 PM

This whole page was devoted to ragging on the new iPods, but I'd like a PowerMac update as much as anyone. If they bumped the speeds another .2 or .3 GHz and added PCI-E, I'd be very happy (mainly because we don't have one yet). The ability to use high-end PC video cards like the new Radeon X850 XT Pt and the 512 MB GeForce 6800 Ultra, plus the fact that the lower-end versions could be found much cheaper would really accelerate Mac gaming.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/16/05 05:55 AM

Dont worry, the Powermacs are coming on the 19th. Here are the stats that I know.
dual dual cores on at least one model smile
faster ram with capacity to 16 GB on top end model smile
Pci Express for video and Im sure the nvidia 7800 and ati x1800
slightly larger hard drives

What more could anyone want. As I said before the video ipod -cool, but no a huge leap for me. The iMac, well after I watched Steve introduce it, I wanted one. Now the PowerMacs, thats what I really want to see, after all Im a power junkie. Looking forward to the powerbooks too, as long as its not some lame bump in speed.
-maestro

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/16/05 07:01 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Dont worry, the Powermacs are coming on the 19th. Here are the stats that I know.

:blink:
Posted by: destructospin

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/16/05 12:53 PM

if a billion dollars fell out of the sky
i would buy 9 of those powermacs

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/16/05 01:00 PM

destructospin wrote:
Quote:

only 9? laugh

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/16/05 01:06 PM

destructospin wrote:
Quote:

On that note- an Open Letter to Steve Jobs:

Dear Mr. Jobs

If you make the new PowerMacs free, we'll buy a lot. Because unfortunately, we are broke, but really really want one.

Thanks,

Luke
Posted by: destructospin

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/16/05 01:22 PM

ill pay postage for that!

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/17/05 04:35 AM

Ok, free is a bit too much to ask for. But how about trade-ins? I would gladly trade my Blue & White 400 for one...

Mr Jobs?
are you listening? hello.... is thing on? frown :unsure:

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/17/05 07:33 AM

Actually to buy a Mac is quite affordable. Computers used to cost much more. How bout a Mac with monitor for 10,000 bucks. Oh and buy the way, it couldnt do even a tiny bit of what the new ones are cabable of. I myself am waiting til next year to pick up a dual dual core model after a couple of revisions come out after it. How much power do we really need anyway.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/17/05 08:31 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:

What more could anyone want. As I said before the video ipod -cool, but no a huge leap for me. The iMac, well after I watched Steve introduce it, I wanted one. Now the PowerMacs, thats what I really want to see, after all Im a power junkie. Looking forward to the powerbooks too, as long as its not some lame bump in speed.
-maestro

A double-width video card slot would be nice too. Also, 3GHz would make a prediction true.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/17/05 10:18 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
How much power do we really need anyway?

You should be ashamed of yourself!

:silly:

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/17/05 11:31 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Actually to buy a Mac is quite affordable. Computers used to cost much more. How bout a Mac with monitor for 10,000 bucks. Oh and buy the way, it couldnt do even a tiny bit of what the new ones are cabable of. I myself am waiting til next year to pick up a dual dual core model after a couple of revisions come out after it. How much power do we really need anyway.

be that as it is, an amazing $3000 computer still costs about $3000 more than I have...

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/17/05 09:02 PM

Watching DVDs and Videos on a laptop or a portable player can be a world of eyeball straining. The new iPod has TV out but I dout the quality isn't that great.

Apple is kinda slow on developing faster systems because of the RISC arch they use for the CPU. When Apple switches to x86 this will open a door to faster and more high end equipment.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 05:23 AM

So the new powermacs and books are out - not too much done to the books, and the macs were the expected dual core, looking pretty nice. Here's the G5's

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 05:39 AM

yea, I am a little skeptical. I am one of those, "biger is better" "more is better" type guys. Seeing as only the top line model has dual processors, I am not convinced this was a smart move. I see the stats below, but I don't hardly ever trust stats that a company with a vested interest publishes.

GIVE US A DUAL PROCESSOR, DUAL CORE, MID LEVEL MODEL! :woohoo: (for crying out loud)

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2005/10/19 16:33

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 07:01 AM

For those of you that were under a rock all day, go to Apple.com and check out the new powermacs and powerbooks.
-maestro

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 08:01 AM

Oh man, it's beautiful *sniff*

If you go to the store, and max out the Quad (16GB of RAM, two 500GB HDs, the Quatro FX4500, dual 30" displays, airport and bluetooth, wireless keyboard and house, and applecare), EVEN AFTER STUDENT DISCOUNT it'll run you over $20,000.

Man, I so want one.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 09:32 AM

i'm going to the mac store to do that right now!!!!! why...? cause it's a cheap thrill i can afford.

deviant :woohoo:

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 09:44 AM

wow... over 25000 bucks.... now for an xraid....... :evil:

tee hee hee

laugh

deviant

Post edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/10/19 16:45

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 09:51 AM

You know what this means - I think it's time to start dealing coke
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 10:38 AM

You could deal Coca-Cola for, say, maybe ten years? Then you'd be able to get one of those wonderful, high-tech, newer-technology PowerMacs with dual-core G5s. That would be awesome... Oh wait...
Posted by: Draconis

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 11:40 AM

Wow those powermacs are awesome. Man i need some money. Whats the deal with the powerbooks though. I just skimmed the site but it looks like the only thing new is a better screen and DDR2 RAM. Thats is pretty cool but is that all?

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 12:35 PM

the screens are a higher resolution , gigabit ethernet, and the graphics cards are upgraded i believe
Posted by: Draconis

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 12:40 PM

Sadly enough Macktrackers telling me those are not upgraded video cards. Maybe a new bus but not cards. frown It's also telling me the gigabit is nothing new from the previous gen either. Man i'm kinda dissapointed at apple.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 01:18 PM

Any idea how the intels can possibly beat this? In the long run, maybe... but initially? I hope Apple surprises me. It'll be hard for me not to want this new G5 once the intels are out and the price drops.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 01:36 PM

Ill take mine in the four core setup, a terabyte of storage, the quadro card, 16gb ram, and throw in 2 30's while your at it. Hmmm, is it time for a second mortgage?
-maestro
B)

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 01:46 PM

Man I am so far behind, I'd be happy with a fast G4 frown

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 02:06 PM

time to start counting my pennies... i think i have about 15 bucks. Short you say? by how much? wow only 3385.23? dang. frown

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 02:08 PM

anil8tor wrote:
Quote:
Man I am so far behind, I'd be happy with a fast G4 frown

Does somebody need a hug?

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 02:20 PM

Here are some benchmarks of the single processer dual core powermacs

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 05:43 PM

awesome! So, what does that prove...that my suspicions on the dual core were semi correct. By the looks of those xbench stats they are about the same, no real difference. Maybe a bit faster, but I am sure thats attributed to other factors, not the processor.

LOL, there is a freaking radiator on that sucker.

Re: Apple disapoints - 10/19/05 08:30 PM

I wish some 3rd party company would just make a powermac and sell it for a lot less. Since after all new age apples don't have much of a ROM anymore. It loads into ram so it shouldn't be a issue.