I\'m a little worried about rumor sites

Posted by: scottk

I\'m a little worried about rumor sites - 06/05/04 05:32 PM

Hi. Nice site!!

I myself am quite worried about the state of the rumor sites. While I appreciate information, does anyone think that all of these "secret" postings are going to really make Apple mad .. to the point where these sites won't be able to go on the way they are?

I mean, first, they were upset about all the "leaks" over the latest builds of Panther. And then people start posting pictures of what these new computers are purported to look like. I mean, I'm interested and appreciative of these sites, but I worry that one day it's going to be too much and make Apple mad.

Anyone else share my concern?
Posted by: krusher117

Re:I\'m a little worried about rumor sites - 06/05/04 08:04 PM

I think that apple is unique in that people want to know this information. The only other companies I think garner this kind of attention are car companies. I almost would go so far as to say that if Apple didn't want you to know the information, you wouldn't. In some instances, they allow the product to be leaked to build excitement and get free press. Nobody knew the iMac (original one) was going to be released. Nobody knew what the G5 was going to look like. People did know about Apple's purported set top box <- later determined that Apple leaked false info on purpose to disguise the iMac.

Final analysis - apple know how to keep a secret & information that these sites receive doesn't surprise apple at all. (except for that time canada fiasco laugh )
Posted by: scottk

Re:I\'m a little worried about rumor sites - 06/05/04 09:02 PM

I agree. that's true. But Apple depends on the WWDC and others to make a big splash. The splash isn't as big if everyone finds it out beforehand. Although there's always something up their proverbial sleeves, so I'm not as worried as perhaps I led on. smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:I\'m a little worried about rumor sites - 06/09/04 01:19 AM

I think Apple lets the rumors out themselves. Think about it. Did anyone see the new Airport Express coming? I think not.

Apple counts on these rumor sites to poll people's interest in a product, as well as keep people 'intrigued' with the Apple product line. If there weren't rumor sites, how many of you would be so interested in the Apple product line?

Also, how many other PC manufacturers have this kind of following? Are there many, if any, Dell rumor sites?
Posted by: krusher117

Re:I\'m a little worried about rumor sites - 06/09/04 01:21 AM

Great minds think alike mangus! That was my point exactly. Apple knows how to play the marketing machine.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:I\'m a little worried about rumor sites - 06/09/04 01:37 AM

hype makes money. period. they have admitted to it in the past, so i always expect these things.