What the H happened to the new iMacs?

Posted by: DLC

What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/29/09 01:54 PM

I thought there was an announcement today.... about new iMacs ?

did eveyone get the memo it was cancelled except me ?? blush

laugh

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/29/09 02:02 PM

All I've seen is that they have told the stores not to order any more of the current models, so they are apparently drawing down inventory prior to an announcement.
Posted by: Mike

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/29/09 05:20 PM

Maybe next week? crazy
Posted by: carp

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/29/09 08:21 PM

Well a minor speed bump and maybe a drop in price - BIG DEAL

Apple has to get back in business of true innovations

IMO

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: carp

IMO

I agree - this "baby step" stuff is a load of crap !! sick

Thanks to all !
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 06:12 AM

Well yeah butů
The "old days" we would have to wait 18 months+ for a refresh, now they are delivering 8 months+.
I think I like it better this way.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 06:34 AM

I like it better this way too. Small frequent incremental boosts instead of buying a computer and next month big upgrade and you are SOL.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 11:25 AM

Yeah

I meant more like a total refresh of design , The Mini and Pro Towers has not changed in years . The laptops got a big one with the uni-body style now thats what I men by a re-fresh

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 12:08 PM

Yeah, "Uncle Steve" is spoiling us !! grin

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 12:52 PM

What? The towers may look the same but the changes inside are huge. This Nehalem is very different from the last. No plastic wall and the drives pop right out as well as memory easily reachable.

If they changed the size of the cheese grater just for looks I would be ticked. The grater size is perfect.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 02:07 PM

Why would you be ticked ?

I mean if they changed the chassis to something better then that should be good , right ? along with the Mini as well .
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 02:12 PM

I still think the original G3/G4 towers were the best design. Easy to get into, easy to get at RAM, easy to get at HDs, easy to get at PCI slots. The G5 chips were too hot for that design, but I suspect the Intels would do OK in 'em.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 02:25 PM

I agree

If I remember correctly the ram and PCI slots were mounted on the access door . So when opened it was right there and easy and on a flat surface
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 02:59 PM

That flat surface, itself resting on a solid surface, was terrific.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 03:23 PM

I would be ticked since I have some of the cheese graters in a rack. The spacing is perfect and the heat going front to back is also good. That cannot improve on it. If they went to bulging swoopy things they wouldn't fit as well.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

IMO
I have seen the insides of every cheese grater since the first, there has been much innovation through the models. They have become very refined inside. And like poly mentioned the processors have been getting faster, not by big speed bumps but more so by running faster and cooler at the same speeds by improving the architecture of the chip. I'd rather they do like they have been and improving on a case design rather than wasting time designing new ones every couple of years.

Now the iMacs, they have become a nightmare to work on, they could use some innovation back to the way the original G5 iMacs were made.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 07:29 PM

Like I said those are expected improvements - nothing spectacular , shut even Dell has more refreshes then Apple , even if it is from crap to crap laugh
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 08:15 PM

Don't really care about the bulgy swoopy look, but if they put the motherboard back onto a swing out door where it was easy access like the G4's/G3's it would be fantastic.

Those were the absolute best case designs ever in terms of servicing the machine.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 08:28 PM

On my towers I have replaced countless memory cards and hard drive, never a motherboard. I guess I am just lucky. If I suspected a motherboard burned out I would be standing in front of the brainiac lounge asking for help. When I do that they replace everything for free.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 09/30/09 08:35 PM

I agree. I LOVED the G4 plastic cases with the hardware on the swing-out door. Made it so darn easy!

To be fair though, the MacPro is quite simple to upgrade (other than the processor, and how often does someone do that, if ever?). I've added RAM and HDs within just a few seconds. It really depends on where the MacPro is sitting. If you have plenty of space around it, you just turn it on its side and go. If it's in a cabinet or on a shelf, it's a bit more of a pain, but then any model would be in that situation.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/01/09 03:54 AM

EXACTLY why I'll most likely get another Pro... I don't want to be stuck for 5-6 years** with the same video card, or have to pile up external HDs on my desktop.
I really want to take advantage of Snow Leopard and multiple core processors. With the iMac it looks like dual is the max for now. frown

** average life time of my Macs. My G5 was bought in 2004. 2010 IS the year !! wink
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/01/09 10:19 AM

(other than the processor, and how often does someone do that, if ever?).

While I'm not sure how hard it would be to get at in it's enclosure... it does remove quite easily in the new MPs. See the first 2 pics in my post/link. That's the cpu beside the ram.

http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/439021/My_new_Mac_Pro_w_LG_GGW_H20L_B#Post439021

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/01/09 10:25 AM

It would be nice to be able to upgrade the CPU on the motherboard, never tried with a Mac (well not in last 15 years). But in 3-4 years wouldn't you love to be able to switch from a 8 core to a 16 or 32 core ?

Course we'd only need a new Mac every 10 years then !! whistle

Apple would never allow that !! laugh

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/01/09 10:58 AM

Actually... it has been done to the original MP quads.. I don't know about the more recent ones.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jul09/072809.html

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/01/09 11:00 AM

As an FYI... if you reference the pic in the link I posted... you see the cpu pulls out with the ram on a separate board.
I hear that you can pull the 8 core out and slip it into a 4 core box and everything runs peachy. So keep your 8-core box locked down.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/02/09 07:21 PM

It's not that it's too difficult, but how often does the average Mac user do it? We're probably talking about 1 out of every 10,000 or even less

I'm fairly certain my next Mac will be an iMac. I just can't justify the expense of the Pro (right now anyway) anymore. It's nice having 11GB of RAM, and I like having the extra internal HD, but an external HD on the shelf is no bother, and I'm probably not using the vast majority of that 11GB of RAM on daily tasks. I'm not one to launch dozens of apps and keep them open. And while I still work on very large images once in a while, it's not what it used to be.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/02/09 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
It's not that it's too difficult, but how often does the average Mac user do it? We're probably talking about 1 out of every 10,000 or even less

I think your numbers are wrong, MacGizmo . . .

I do it !

. . . at least 2-4 times a month !! laugh

Am I the only one here that still does it ? whistle

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/03/09 12:40 AM

I don't do it

So ya one for one currently laugh
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/03/09 05:41 AM

Haven't you heard? Apple is dying. crazy

... again. tired

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/03/09 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mississauga
Haven't you heard? Apple is dying. crazy

... again. tired

Yeah I think APPLE is a cross between a Phoenix and a Cat ! wink

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/04/09 08:19 AM

I'm married. I haven't done "it" in years. The last time I did, I ended up with a kid 9 months later. I don't need that kind of pressure anymore! wink
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/04/09 03:37 PM

I got a new iMac last January because the Mac Pro was too expensive and really, too much for me. This iMac is awesome.

Re: What the H happened to the new iMacs? - 10/05/09 08:17 AM

Well I may give them a more serious look. I already have 2 external HDs besides 2 in the G5... so it's not like my desktop landscape would change dramatically. And they ARE much more reasonably priced. ~ $1300 Vs $2400 or $3000.

IF I went Pro- I'd wait 2 months after they're upgraded and pick up a refurbished... $200-300 off (~$2000) a Quad core, and I just can't justify $2400 or more.

I'll just have to wait and see what my final choices are.

Could this be the case ?? - 10/09/09 02:58 PM

Does anyone think that maybe . . . just maybe . . Apple could announce/release these new iMacs Oct 22nd, the day Win7 (XP 3.0) is released ? shocked

ha ha that would be a hoot ! laugh

Re: Could this be the case ?? - 10/09/09 03:28 PM

Right but do the iMac release the day before Win 7 - and and at the same time announce the new BIG CAT 10.7 and use Win 7 as the poor rodent victim via a Demo laugh
Posted by: Mike

Re: Could this be the case ?? - 10/10/09 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Does anyone think that maybe . . . just maybe . . Apple could announce/release these new iMacs Oct 22nd, the day Win7 (XP 3.0) is released ? shocked

ha ha that would be a hoot ! laugh

Indeed!! That'd be a funny coincidence!! And I guess someone would be royally p.oed! grin