Posted by: DLC

Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/13/09 07:02 PM

Windows 7 made for hackers !!

Man this doesn't look good.... blush

How bad is it ??
whistle
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 12:58 PM

Hmmm ... sounds to me like there a "secure" mode that acts much the same way OSX does when you install something (prompting for a password and such) and a "convenience" mode which doesn't do that as much ... and the user decides which one to run ...

If a user decides to turn the security down, that's not really the fault of the OS ...
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 01:02 PM

The article states that "convenience" mode can be activated by a hacker.

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
The article states that "convenience" mode can be activated by a hacker.

Why soitenly.... why do you think they call it the "convenience" mode ?

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.... laugh

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 02:57 PM

Hmmm ... as I read it the article says the attacks won't work if the account control is set to its safest mode. Hence the "irritating messages" vs. security loopholes conundrum ...

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 04:51 PM

Well the final proof is in the final product... could be bad, or not so bad, hence why I asked how bad is it ?

could be a pain in the azz if it throws up many popup messages, in order to be safe. No one wants to be hacked but then no one wants to be pestered while they're in a rush to get work done... like trying to babysit and work at the same time!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 04:56 PM

As far as I'm concerned, it's bad.

Quote:
The new UAC from Windows 7 should be better as users can now decide when UAC should raise and alarm. The setback came in the first beta version of Windows 7 where a simple script was sufficient to start all programs within admin rights, without users knowing about it. The problem is rectified but only halfheartedly . Attackers can ease off the UAC through DLL injection even in the RC version, even giving all program admin rights.

When the attacker starts the Internet Explorer with this function, it disables the "Protected mode" and does not stop any hacker attacks. Microsoft does not help as they think that comfort is more important than hacking protection.

The DLL injection of the hacker gets hold of the Windows-internal DLLs, on which the entire operating system is structured. Normally, these libraries are protected by the UAC in Windows 7 but only if the account control is set to the safest mode.

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 05:11 PM

Quote:
Well the final proof is in the final product... could be bad, or not so bad, hence why I asked how bad is it ?

Dunno. Final product hasn't been released yet =)
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 05:57 PM

Quote:
Dunno. Final product hasn't been released yet =)

Oh sure... next you'll be telling us what a wonderful guy Darth Vader really was....

LOL...jk.
Posted by: carp

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/14/09 07:44 PM

Well Darth Vader wasn't really released yet right laugh

Re: Windows 7 made for hackers !! - 09/15/09 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Well Darth Vader wasn't really released yet right laugh

well Darth Vader 7.0 hasn't !! laugh

(the first 6 were)

You are such a hoot, Steve ! grin