Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Bad news for Apple - 07/23/09 01:25 PM

It's just awful that they dominate in the high end market, isn't it? laugh
Posted by: Mike

Re: Bad news for Apple - 07/23/09 05:42 PM

Man....And I fell for that! blush
Posted by: DLC

Re: Bad news for Apple - 07/24/09 07:58 AM

I think the real question is HOW much of the total PC market is the ">$1000 computers" ?

If it's 10% - then it's not so good... if it's 40% then Great !

Funny they have beaten the odds in a BAD economy and with pricier products, but some DO recognize Quality, Durability, and product longevity . And along with that an OS that's far easier to use and much more trouble free. laugh

Posted by: Lea

Re: Bad news for Apple - 07/24/09 08:37 AM

I wonder how many Mac users started out with a PC. Probably the vast majority. I know I did, I took some basic Windoze classes ages ago, because all I could do with Jim's computer was turn it on and ace Tetris. Messing around with Word, I caught a glimpse of what (we called then) Desktop Publising was all about. I worked a small print company when I was a kid, using the old light table for paste ups and shooting film for offset.

Anyway, I asked the guy teaching us the Windoze class about it, and he told me I needed to check out the Mac Lab down the hall. I remember thinking, whoa! Macintosh? That's that really weird thingie that nobody uses.

But I took a basic This is Mac, This is Your Brain on Mac class ~ ~ I knew I wasn't that smart, but I was stunned at how intuitive and beautiful it all was. That was it. Done deal.

My point ~ Nine out of ten PC Weenies who bitch about Apple have probably never even used a Mac. 'Cause once you've used Mac, you'll never go back.

Edit: I finished the whole semester with Windoze, made an A, and I can still manage a PC when I have to. I like to think of myself as bilingual.

Posted by: polymerase

Re: Bad news for Apple - 07/24/09 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
I think the real question is HOW much of the total PC market is the ">$1000 computers" ?

If it's 10% - then it's not so good... if it's 40% then Great !

There are a couple of reasons why 10% is fine. Bank of America buys 1,800 computers to fill their back offices of cubicles for 600 a pop because they get a deal. Am I sad that Apple cannot get into that business since the proprietary software only runs on Windows and they can't sell such cheap computers?

No way. It is great that Windows and Dell are saddled with that job.

The other thing is you should not be counting computers but dollars and profit margin. Apple sells the >$1,000 computer for, wait for it ... more money. They also have a much higher profit margin.

I don't want Apple to be saddled with supplying 40% of the total computer purchases because that means they stop being quick on their feet. They start to become saddled with supporting legacy software and making money on volume.

I want them to continue to make money on quality. Just in the last year more complaints about quality because volume goes up. Well, that is true even if the failure percent stays the same. 1.5% failure rate and you are selling three times the number of iPhones and computers means 3X complaints on the internet. We don't want that percent failure to increase because they have to push massive number of computers out the door.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Bad news for Apple - 07/24/09 10:04 AM

Excellent points...

agree with all of them...

Posted by: starmillway

Re: Bad news for Apple - 07/24/09 11:15 AM

$159.72 at 11:14 a.m.

Go go go go go go Apple!

smile