Google vs Microsoft?

Posted by: Mike

Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 08:30 AM

Should be interesting to see what happens in 2010 cool
D'ya think it will work?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 08:38 AM

The Windows brand certainly has been tarnished by multiple security holes, bloat, instabilities, incompatibilities, expense to upgrade and maintain, the Vista yawner, etc. A light weight and clean OS certainly would generate some viable competition.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 08:47 AM

Google Chrome OS is open source.
Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips.
I wonder if it'll be 'free'?
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 09:08 AM

If anyone could make Linux user friendly and useful I suppose it's Google.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 09:56 AM

Be the First One on Your Block!

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 10:36 AM

Wouldn't that be a brick now?
Posted by: DLC

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 10:43 AM

IF Windows 7 stumbles... M$ is in deep SHT!

Apple and Google could pull a huge number of users away.

So far Windows 7 looks like a safe bet, but lets see how the public treats it. Remember most of the analysis has been by geeks who know how to get around small problems... the General Public usually does not, and can be easily frustrated.

We'll see. smirk
Posted by: katlpablo

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/08/09 11:02 PM

Article in NYT.

Google Plans a PC Operating System

"Google’s plans for the new operating system fit its Internet-centric vision of computing. Google believes that software delivered over the Web will play an increasingly central role, replacing software programs that run on the desktop. In that world, applications run directly inside an Internet browser, rather than atop an operating system, the standard software that controls most of the operations of a PC."

"To combat these efforts, Microsoft began offering its older Windows XP operating system for use on netbooks at a low price. In addition, the company has vowed that its upcoming Windows 7 software, due out this fall, will run well on the tiny laptops, which have stood out as the brightest part of the PC market during the global economic downturn. Microsoft’s current Vista operating system is designed for more powerful machines."

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 03:34 AM

Quote:
Apple and Google could pull a huge number of users away.

I'd think Apple's fortunes could be negatively affected by the new Google OS also, not just MS.
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 05:40 AM

Agreed. Apple is every bit as exposed as Microsoft. If Google's OS is a slick piece of kit, prepare for some strange changes on the horizon. Look at the adoption rates for Gmail, for instance. Look at Google's virtual lock on the search world. Look at how much freakin' dough they have to throw at a problem. They are not to be underestimated. Jeez, these players are all titans, really. Interesting times.

On the other hand, strong competition is good. Means Apple will be fighting tooth and nail to deliver functionality and slick user enhancements for their own software.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 07:58 AM

Quote:
If Google's OS is a slick piece of kit, prepare for some strange changes on the horizon.

Exactly! And if Google's OS is 'free', I'd expect Apple to 'suffer' more than MS which is far deeper 'entrenched' than Apple.
Strange tho': E. Schmidt is on Apple's board...
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 08:02 AM

Not for long I bet.
Posted by: carp

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 12:41 PM

Well
Google is making some in roads but far away from Apple and MS by a long shot .

TechNews take and PC World had the top 5 reasons why Google will fail , that was posted yesterday

Bottom line
Google no where comes close to MS Office or Apples suit of free apps - they have a long way to go . Then the matter of being tied to a provider , Google cloud base systems , say if NK attacks Google ya down for the count

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 12:59 PM

What do you think Mobileme is, Carp? Yep, cloud computing. They're exposed too. So Google's OS is due to fail because of North Korean belligerence?

You suggest they have shallow experience in apps - really? Have you checked out Google Docs lately? Not much in the looks department yet, I admit - but lots of functionality and they're developing at warp speed.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 01:23 PM

Max

Mobile me and MS Exchange would be down

In short you still have your apps and keep working until internet comes back - Google ya out of luck the whole office she bang is in the clouds , maybe you can work off line but that only gets you so far .

Quote:
Not much in the looks department yet, I admit - but lots of functionality and they're developing at warp speed.

Yes thats what I mean - they have a long way to go . A MS Excel power user or Power Point or even MS Word , won't even touch Google apps , like PhotoShop -vs- iPhoto kind of thing

Consumer -vs- Pro

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 02:15 PM

And I say they're evening up faster than you think, Steve.

As well, I believe with Docs you can also save versions locally - your own hard disk. Sort of like how MobileMe you can have a local IDisk. Therefore in the event of a net outage you can keep working... will have to check on that though.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 02:39 PM

I agree Apple OS X could suffer, but APPle also sells the computers, the iPOD, and the iPHone.

What does MS sell but software? Granted they have Office and a few other big software gorillas, but if someone adopts Google OS wouldn't they go for freeware version of an office suite and not pay MS premium prices? MS gets a double whammy! laugh

Apple could still have a nice nitch market as it does now... might be slimmer, but you have to buy the box to run the OS.
I think Apple can compete head to head with Google better than MS can (productwise). They're both very creative, innovative companies. The current MS reminds me of IBM in the early 1980's, and Google could be the new MS in the next 5-10 years.... or it could turn into a 3 way horse race in which we'd all benefit from the fierce competition. grin
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
I agree Apple OS X could suffer, but APPle also sells the computers, the iPOD, and the iPHone.
Right, apple makes their money on hardware, not software.

Although there are plenty of hackintosh solutions. I've been wanting to try it on my PC but have been too busy.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Originally Posted By: DLC
Right, apple makes their money on hardware, not software.

Although there are plenty of hackintosh solutions. I've been wanting to try it on my PC but have been too busy.

Well stop slacking and give us a review - laugh

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 09:22 PM

laugh
Posted by: FSM

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Max

Mobile me and MS Exchange would be down

In short you still have your apps and keep working until internet comes back - Google ya out of luck the whole office she bang is in the clouds , maybe you can work off line but that only gets you so far .

Quote:
Not much in the looks department yet, I admit - but lots of functionality and they're developing at warp speed.

Yes thats what I mean - they have a long way to go . A MS Excel power user or Power Point or even MS Word , won't even touch Google apps , like PhotoShop -vs- iPhoto kind of thing

Consumer -vs- Pro
i ran a complete graduate class using Google Docs and tools with only 1 little hitch with 1 student. not a bit of paper, nor a bit of Microsoft. and the argument about the apps only being so useful if the internet is down is pretty frivolous as the off-line version of Google Docs does everything the online version does except for sharing (which is similar to emailing a Word document -- it won't work if the internet is down either).

and power users of Excel make up less than 1% of the market of people who buy MS Office. here is a list of the functions you can do with the Google Spreadsheet app: http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=82712 do you notice something you use in Excel that isn't on that list i just linked? most people wouldn't.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/09/09 11:16 PM

There's this book in my shelf waiting to be read (have been waiting there too long, really) by Jef Raskin called 'The Humane Interface' and well, according to Raskin, OS itself is/should/becomes irrelevant as long as it is usable and harnesses the power of the microprocessor...or something like that I couldn't find the exact quote just now so I tried to put it as eloquently as Raskin does.

The point is that the next big thing may not be an MS or Apple OS at all, but something out of the woods. Google and their experience and knowledge of the web coupled with their (still) lean and agile organisation may be a winner here for the next decade or three. Or the biggest loser, for that matter, if they fail to grasp what the user really needs.

Also, Linux has been bubbling under for a decade or so already, but has never hit prime-time, now if there was somebody not-so-geeky in the Linux community who would really realize the need for some eye candy together with the ease of use they might be onto something.

Microsoft may take a plunge in the consumer market -- it should, the OSes and their stability are always dragging behind a bit, but the average consumer is happy with the price/quality/performance ratio -- that is, if Chrome really delivers and gets app support, because most of the time cheap crap gets overrun by free crap. On the business market though, I don't think the Redmond giant is going anywhere south for a long time because they are so well entrenched there thanks to Office, and companies can and like to pay constantly to keep their system running and backwards compatible. And MSOffice is the norm in the business world, sad but true.

MS Exchange is not by far the best mobile solution, but the keyword is "free". Kinda. For instance our uni's IT department loves MS, so even the staff and student webmail solution was changed to MS Exchange Outlook Web Access BS crapola. Besides, based on what I know and have read/heard about MS tehcnological and network prowess, I can't blame many (geeky?) network administrators favoring them.

OK, so MS has a slight comprehension problem regarding anything with 'use' or 'user' or 'usability' in it, but it doesn't matter that much. I can't believe I am saying this, but it just happens to be so, Redmond wouldn't be the giant it is otherwise. And men are monkeys, most don't care, they just call that nephew or grandson or whoever who is good with computers when there's a problem. And most of the adult people are so used to using Windows they may be more than uncomfortable to switch over to something totally new anytime soon.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I don't think Chrome will take off anytime soon, but predicting these things is about an accurate science as reading from the tealeaves.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/10/09 02:30 PM

Quote:
And most of the adult people are so used to using Windows they may be more than uncomfortable to switch over to something totally new anytime soon.

Sad, but true!

Schmidt's got to resign! - 07/10/09 04:38 PM

C'mon....His company competes directly with Apple in the smart phone, and now in the computer OS market?
IMHO, Schmidt's going to have to give up his seat on the Apple board.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/10/09 07:02 PM

Here's a couple of good links on it. Not everything can be run over the web.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10282442-2.html

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090710135246791

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/11/09 12:53 PM

Quote:
In short you still have your apps and keep working until internet comes back...

Yup....That's a major obstacle to 'cloud computing'. The app still 'rests' on your local/home workstation.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/11/09 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MicMeister
if there was somebody not-so-geeky in the Linux community who would really realize the need for some eye candy together with the ease of use they might be onto something.

What, never heard of Mark Shuttleworth?

Ubuntu with Compiz cube has better eye candy than either Windows or OS X. Installation is a literal breeze.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/11/09 08:05 PM

Not everything can be run over the web.

Yet.

The only downside to the web is speed, or lack thereof. But that will fall eventually. Everyone needs fast access though. Even in the good old US of A there are people who can only connect at slower than 56K speeds (ignoring outrageous satellite costs that is)
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/15/09 05:02 AM

Well, now it's official. Google's OS will put the smackdown on MS. laugh

Steve Ballmer laughs off Google's Chrome OS threat

Quote:
Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer ridiculed Google's browser-based PC operating system which is slated for shipment next year, using a tone remarkably similar to that used to blow off the potential of the iPhone two years ago.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/15/09 05:54 AM

I heard yesterday that only 10% of all internet users are on dial-up now.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/15/09 07:11 AM

I heard yesterday that only 10% of all internet users are on dial-up now.

From one of my web sites last six months which is relatively wide open (general public although science leaning.)
By visits it is 2% that are dial up or slower. Since dial up is inherently slower and more frustrating the numbers will bias towards faster connectors so does not really give percent of people out there on tin can on string.

Connection Speed Visits
1. T1 32,853
2. Unknown 10,270
3. Cable 7,980
4. DSL 3,566
5. Dialup 976
6. ISDN 79
7. OC3 58

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/15/09 08:08 AM

There are still many areas of the US that do not have high speed internet access (or any access in some areas). The US ranks 22nd in the world for high speed access and quality.

From FreePress.net:
Quote:
America has dropped to 22nd place in the world in broadband penetration, with approximately 40 percent of the country still not connected to high-speed Internet services.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/15/09 09:30 AM

Taking aim at Google's new strategy, Ballmer told the crowd, "I don't know if they can't make up their mind or what the problem is over there, but the last time I checked, you don't need two client operating systems. It's good to have one."

That would be funny if it wasn't so profoundly stupid. Maybe Gates came to hate MS before he left. I can't fathom why else he would've left Ballmer in charge.

Re: Google vs Microsoft? - 07/17/09 08:30 AM

Also, how many of those visits are from people's workplaces instead of their homes? No real way to tell. 40% of the country that does not have access to high speed is tens of millions of people. Sure, most people could get satellite but that doesn't help for latency sensitive applications.