he had a liver transplant.

link here

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 01:07 AM

Good
...but far from great.

The anti-rejection (Immunosuppressive) drugs necessary
for a successful transplant leaves the patient susceptible
to the entire range of potential baddies lurking out there.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 04:41 AM

From one of the posters..

Not *just* a new liver– 2x faster, with camera and video support. And if you do drink too much, just initiate a remote wipe and restore to factory settings….

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 06:49 AM

smile
thanx
I needed that

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 07:28 AM

It's amazing how negative the spin can turn....

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/06/13/steve-jobs-health-status-in-13-words/
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
From one of the posters..

Not *just* a new liver– 2x faster, with camera and video support. And if you do drink too much, just initiate a remote wipe and restore to factory settings….

Good stuff. The only problem is that Steve always likes to slowly upgrade over time. Is he going to be sitting there with the 3G S iLiver 3.0 a year from now and want to make an upgrade? I foresee Steve all set with the hardware upgrades until he is 85 and he will only require remote software installs before then.

The one last thing I want him to do once he is back in the saddle and pink cheeked: He should make a nice Apple commercial about how cool it is to have a new liver and encourage every single one of us to have that donor transplant acceptance on our license. The wait for these organs would be much shorter if we didn't bury perfectly good organs.

Posted by: pops

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 10:45 AM

"
The one last thing I want him to do once he is back in the saddle and pink cheeked: He should make a nice Apple commercial about how cool it is to have a new liver and encourage every single one of us to have that donor transplant acceptance on our license. The wait for these organs would be much shorter if we didn't bury perfectly good organs."

An excellent idea!!
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 11:01 AM

I agree with poly on this one. It should be criminal to bury or incinerate viable organs.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 11:22 AM

Only problem is it's an individual right to contribute or not.

I agree it's a shame, but maybe one could entice more donors if we eliminated some of their medical debts in exchange for registering. smile

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 12:23 PM

The absolute second the individual flatlines, right to your meat should evaporate. Let the family keep the shell, if they need it for some voodoo viewing, but a scoop team should take the viable stuff right away. The gov't has no problem taking my earnings, when I still need them, to benefit others, so why is there a problem if they need my liver (maybe that's a bad choice) to benefit others, especially after I'm done with it?
Posted by: carp

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 12:48 PM

Good Idea David , that would work .

I could be wrong
But I believe in some religions it is considered a disgrace to be buried with missing parts , sorta goes way back to the Crusades or maybe even Dark Ages ?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
I agree it's a shame, but maybe one could entice more donors if we eliminated some of their medical debts in exchange for registering. smile
Actually, they already do that. I'm not sure how much of the debt is forgiven (obviously it's not something you care to think about at the time), but I know it's a decent amount - and also includes some "after death" charges such as transportation of the body to funeral homes, etc...

Aside from all that, I can say from personal experience that it's quite rewarding for the remaining family to know that your loved-one was responsible for saving the lives of one or more people by donating something that they obviously no longer need.

Nothing can bring my sister back, but it brought a little comfort to my family knowing that three other families got to spend more time with their mother and father because she was a donor. We still keep in touch with one of the donor recipients to this day.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 05:29 PM

Here's an idea... I sign a contract that says you can have my parts when I'm dead... as long as you pay all the costs of a typical funeral.
That way it doesn't fall to family members to come up with the expenses.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: macbeemer
The absolute second the individual flatlines, right to your meat should evaporate. Let the family keep the shell, if they need it for some voodoo viewing, but a scoop team should take the viable stuff right away. The gov't has no problem taking my earnings, when I still need them, to benefit others, so why is there a problem if they need my liver (maybe that's a bad choice) to benefit others, especially after I'm done with it?

I'm in no way implying anything about Mr. Jobs...

I'm just saying; Have a care about signing donor cards
especially in a climate filled with unscrupulous people
in uncertain times wherein people can simply "disappear"
(for whatever reason), and never be heard from again.

Opened 4 Discussion
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 07:12 PM

Well, I'm not fond of being a wet towel, but liver transplants are usually for either (1) hepatitis or (2) liver cancer (whereby often, because it's the liver, cancer has spread to all the body).

Ed

I liked Steve, a lot. He was great. I envy him, not because of what he accomplished, but because he had a great run. If only all our runs could be so robust and so furious.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/20/09 07:46 PM

Ed

I think its was because of his Pancreas cancer treatment that led to his liver failure , well thats what it sounded like ?
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/21/09 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
Ed

I think its was because of his Pancreas cancer treatment that led to his liver failure , well thats what it sounded like ?

You're right. They never would have given him a liver transplant if the pancreatic cancer had metastasized to his liver. It was likely the chemo and other treatments that trashed his liver.

Going by statistics or generalizations will only come to the wrong conclusion in this case. Steve has a rare form of pancreatic cancer that is very treatable.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 10:08 AM

Here's an idea... I sign a contract that says you can have my parts when I'm dead... as long as you pay all the costs of a typical funeral.
That way it doesn't fall to family members to come up with the expenses.

Generally, if you donate your body, or a majority of the parts, a phone call is made, they come and get you, they harvest on site, they remove for exam/teaching the remains to a medical school, and in a few weeks they will return cremains to the family if desired. No charge.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 10:15 AM

We are figuring out some of this stuff a little too locally around here. Last week we were all here in town enjoying my birthday and various ancillary successes. The following Monday, the Mrs. got word from her MD that after five "clean' years, her breast cancer had resurfaced - in her liver. We were told surgery is not an option at this time. Since then, we have scheduled every known available test, and have an appointment at U Penn for a "second opinion." I was aghast when I suggested to the local oncologist that maybe we should consult a hepatologist, and she shot back an instant "No!" Fuch that.

So, we are waiting for the iPhone app for liver fixes. I'm sure Steve is on it.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 10:51 AM

<<< >>>
. . .Good Luck

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 11:09 AM

Most certainly get a 2nd opinion , best wishes

Seems Jobs on his way back he is making statements

Quote:
“Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning,” said Steve Jobs

Or maybe a rehash ?

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 11:18 AM

So you're saying that if I donate my organs, then the state (or whomever) will harvest my parts and then pay for the cremation or burial.
Posted by: Gigi

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 11:33 AM

Good luck to your wife. We make light of the cancer because it is a way to deal with it, but the diagnosis knocks you off your feet. Be it Steve Jobs or your lovely Mrs.

I have secondary tumors on my liver, so far they have shrunk with the chemo. We will keep our fingers crossed for her.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 12:29 PM

My best to Mrs. Beemer.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 12:34 PM

So you're saying that if I donate my organs, then the state (or whomever) will harvest my parts and then pay for the cremation or burial.

Here in NJ, they will cremate what remains after their purposes have been met, and return those cremains, no fee involved. I haven't heard they provide for any burial. If you are truly interested, you could check with any medical school in your state, or perhaps the DMV, or the governor's office. If you pm me, i will assist you in the search, but would need to know what state.

And - Gigi - go get 'em! and thanks, Yoyo and everyone else.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 03:56 PM

That sucks. Get a third opinion, too.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 04:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your wife. Best wishes and I'll keep her in my thoughts/prayers.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 07:16 PM

You know we're all with you man, in my prayers and best luck to Mrs.
Posted by: FSM

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 07:21 PM

beemer and gigi, i am rooting for you and your families through this crummy stuff.
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 08:28 PM

Wow. Haven't been here for a while due to lack on internet connectivity. There's some heavy stuff in the first thread I read. Mrs. Beemer and Gigi, you are in my prayers.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/22/09 11:20 PM

Ouch! I am so sorry to hear that, macbeemer. Best wishes to your wife and you. I hope she pulls through okay.
Posted by: pops

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/23/09 04:14 AM

macbeemer & Gigi - you are in my thoughts and my prayers. May God bless.
Posted by: Gigi

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/23/09 05:17 PM

Thank you all for your wishes. Everyone's prayers and thoughts have been a huge help for me this last four months. I am done with Chemo for a while (I think). Have another round of those cheap PET and C/T tests and will see what happens next.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/23/09 06:36 PM

Good luck with your tests, gigi!
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/23/09 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: FSM
he had a liver transplant.

Today:

Steve Jobs Receives Liver Transplant

James D. Eason, M.D., program director at Methodist University Hospital Transplant Institute and chief of transplantation confirmed today, with the patient's permission, that Steve Jobs received a liver transplant at Methodist University Hospital Transplant Institute in partnership with the University of Tennessee in Memphis.

Mr. Jobs underwent a complete transplant evaluation and was listed for transplantation for an approved indication in accordance with the Transplant Institute policies and United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) policies.

He received a liver transplant because he was the patient with the highest MELD score (Model for End-Stage Liver Disease) of his blood type and, therefore, the sickest patient on the waiting list at the time a donor organ became available. Mr. Jobs is now recovering well and has an excellent prognosis.

The Methodist University Hospital Transplant Institute performed 120 liver transplants in 2008 making it one of the ten largest liver transplant centers in the United States. We provide transplants to patients regardless of race, sex, age, financial status, or place of residence. Our one year patient and graft survival rates are among the best in the nation and were a dominant reason in Mr. Jobs’s choice of transplant centers. We respect and protect every patient's private health information and cannot reveal any further information on the specifics of Mr. Jobs's case.

Posted: June 23, 2009

Posted by: Nana

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/24/09 05:36 PM

Interesting article

Jobs' liver transplant shows power of the rich.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/24/09 05:47 PM

Quote:
People also can get on as many wait lists as they like as long as they can travel there and meet the terms.

Makes sense they got the bucks , I don't .
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/24/09 06:13 PM

That was interesting, Nana! I really hope that Steve is now cured and lives a long life. Heck, I'd wish that for anyone who has gone through what he went through! Nothing to do with the power of the rich, just a little human compassion for suffering.

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/24/09 07:11 PM

Re: Steve Jobs was more than sick - 06/24/09 08:35 PM

Does that comes with Onions ?