New iPhone June 8 with pics

Posted by: polymerase

New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 08:40 AM

Pics have appeared confirming video and audio recording, auto focus 3.2 megapix camera, and my favorite, a magnetic compass.

The timing is amazing. My institute is trying to save pennies by forcing us to move to a reimbursement instead of just giving us a phone. A PDA gets a bigger reimbursement so I have to get an iPhone. My RAZR is starting to be flaky about taking a charge. I think it has eaten too much pocket lint in the charger connection.

google: iPhone leaked photos

Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 09:31 AM

3.2 camera? Mine's a halfway decent 5MP, and Samsung is about to release a 12 megapixel phone with a 28mm lens.

Apple's so far behind the ball in that aspect it's not even funny. They should put a real point & shoot camera in the phone.

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 10:48 AM

I would disagree. In a phone I first want small and thin. Put the largest lens into that configuration and any pixels over 3.2 is a gimmicky waste. The weak link in a small camera is the lens glass, not the megapixels. Cameras are being graded now the same way computers used to be graded, on one parameter only (computers used to be clock speed of the CPU, remember how dumb that was?)

It would remain to be seen if they put a decent lens on the iPhone and exactly how well it auto focuses. What looks to be clever is that there is a blue focus box which might be able to be pushed around on the screen with your finger. On a normal camera it is easy enough to half shutter push and lock on your depth of field and then frame your photo but pushing around the focus spot would be too easy if true.

Samasung is going to have a 12mp phone? What a waste of bandwidth.
Posted by: FSM

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 11:31 AM

i am on my 3rd iPhone already so as long as they allow me to upgrade w/o penalty then i'll be doing so. some people waste their money on buying pop from vending machines or eating out too much . . . me, i buy iPhones.

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 11:43 AM

Quote:

Seeing as it contains a real 28mm lens that contracts into the phone body, I'm thinking it will take really nice pictures. My 5MP phone with it's crappy pinhole lens actually takes better looking pictures than the 6MP kodak point and shoot we have here, which I contribute to the camera software on the phone.

My point being, if Samsung's smart enough to incorporate a real glass lens into a phone body the size of the iPhone, why can't Apple? Sony and Samsung have trumped them bad. Samsung even has the Omnia HD that shoots 720p video. Apple took phone devices to the next level, now the other players are surpassing them.

It's like the unremoveable battery argument because it wouldn't "look as sleek" - just silly. My phone is every bit as slim and sleek as the iphone and looks like it's a single piece of metal, yet I can easily replace my battery with a spare because the back slides off. Battery dies unexpectedly? No problem.

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Quote:

Seeing as it contains a real 28mm lens that contracts into the phone body, I'm thinking it will take really nice pictures. My 5MP phone with it's crappy pinhole lens actually takes better looking pictures than the 6MP kodak point and shoot we have here, which I contribute to the camera software on the phone.

My point being, if Samsung's smart enough to incorporate a real glass lens into a phone body the size of the iPhone, why can't Apple? Sony and Samsung have trumped them bad. Samsung even has the Omnia HD that shoots 720p video. Apple took phone devices to the next level, now the other players are surpassing them.

It's like the unremoveable battery argument because it wouldn't "look as sleek" - just silly. My phone is every bit as slim and sleek as the iphone and looks like it's a single piece of metal, yet I can easily replace my battery with a spare because the back slides off. Battery dies unexpectedly? No problem.

Quote:
What looks to be clever is that there is a blue focus box which might be able to be pushed around on the screen with your finger.

Yeah, Sony and Samsung already have phones that do that. :P

Posted by: carp

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 11:48 AM

compass is a good idea I can see the apps coming out now for it

Did Apple include a Flash for the camera ?

side note;
Friend of mine has that Palm smartphone the last rev , it broke down twice before , so on the 3rd time she is hoping they will just give her the new Pre , currently the keyboard malfunctions . So anyway if Palm builds the new Pre the same way as the last one its gonna be junk
Posted by: FSM

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:05 PM

the iPhone camera that is current is really, really, really crummy. i have a Lumix TZ5 for my pocket, but there are times when i only have the iPhone and it sure would be nice to have something that is even 1/2 way respectable. this current camera is far from being serviceable for anything (besides taking photos of the cover of a book at the bookstore with SnapTell -- to check the price of that book on Amazon. com).

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:06 PM

I would not put a flash on a phone any more than I would put 12mp of electron wasting CMOS chip into it. I am sure you can turn it off but what if you accidently take a picture and it flashes and now you have a phone that has a dead battery?

That would suck. Up until now I have always thought I want a phone just for a phone and everything else can be in another pocket. I am willing to take a chance with the iPhone since my institute phone deal doubles my reimbursement if I get a pda/phone. But I am likely not going to be taking too many photos with it or listening to iTunes. I need it because it is a phone.

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:12 PM

28 mm does not mean it is a quality lens. I can make an 18 mm lens out of a rain drop. I can make a 2000 mm lens out of two paper towel rolls. It's all about the quality packed into a small space. Granted, the new iPhone lens could be a POS like the current camera in the iPhone but once you are up to 3.2 mp the lens becomes the weak link.

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:28 PM

I agree
At lease a 5 pix for heaven sakes , all my photos are from a Canon 5 pix its good enough .

Poly right a flash would drain the battery but still nice to have
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:31 PM

Yeah, but does it have a 64 GB capacity? wink

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:34 PM

The Palm Pre is going to the same place as the Google Android, the junk bin of history. Neither will get past a small flurry of early adapter mania. Neither will get past the iPhone buzz.

When the iPhone first came I said (in MCF) that it would give the blackberry a run for its money and I was laughed at. (The iPhone was not a serious corporate device.) RIMM isn't going anywhere but there is no buzz about the blackberry anymore.

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:37 PM

I wish it did have 64GB capacity because that would mean that 64GB solid state drives were cheap. But they aren't. I want to stick a 128GB SSD into my MacBook Air. Not yet.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 12:57 PM

a 28mm f/1.4 lens would be a VERY high quality lens. wink But then it probably wouldn't fit inside a phone.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 01:14 PM

But you can fit a phone into the lens. laugh

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Yeah, but does it have a 64 GB capacity? wink

Speaking about that is it possible to stick a thumb drive into the iPhones port ?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 02:18 PM

blush

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
I would not put a flash on a phone any more than I would put 12mp of electron wasting CMOS chip into it. I am sure you can turn it off but what if you accidently take a picture and it flashes and now you have a phone that has a dead battery?

It sounds like you stuck in 2003?

I take pictures all day, upload them onto Facebook or my skydrive via 3G or wifi and I've never had less than 60% of my juice left at night when I put it on the cradle. Flashes are LED today, they don't suck energy like the spun magnesium filaments you're probably used to wink

Unfortunately for Apple the 3.2 CMOS it's using is less energy efficient than the new one Sony and Samsung are using so you may just be right. Sucks that you can't take out the battery on these phones.

Oh wait.. I can. :P

My phone is only 4 months old and I'm already upset that I can't upgrade it to the new one. But then the one I do get a year from now will only have that much better of a camera in it. It'll probably record HD video better than a camcorder I can buy today too.

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 03:25 PM

RIMM isn't going anywhere but there is no buzz about the blackberry anymore.

Except that the Curve outsells the iPhone. wink

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 03:47 PM

28 mm does not mean it is a quality lens.

The goal on the Pixon 12 is to equal or better the quality from a dedicated point and shoot. Like I said before, the lens retracts back into the phone body like a normal point and shoot camera. Touch focus, facial recognition, shoot on smile and all the goodies.

It also has a xenon flash, and rumored to have a 800x400 AMOLED display.

I wish it ran WinMobile, but they'll probably put out a version that does.

No details on size, but from the photos it looks about the same size as my Omnia, which itself is slightly smaller than the iPhone. So, small and slim with a real lens can be done.

Unfortunately like all the cool devices it'll be in Europe for months on end before it makes it's way here.

Linky

Re: New iPhone June 8 with pics - 06/01/09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
RIMM isn't going anywhere but there is no buzz about the blackberry anymore.

Except that the Curve outsells the iPhone. wink

Of course it does. It had a head start and saturates corporate. Microsoft runs 90% of the computers out there. Windows still sucks and has no buzz.