A most excellent screensaver and more!

Posted by: Mac007

A most excellent screensaver and more! - 04/30/09 10:39 PM

I'm currently testing this piece of software and have found it to be truly awesome!
My Living Desktop! cool
Posted by: FSM

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/01/09 08:31 AM

RAM hog, no?
Posted by: Lea

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/01/09 09:02 AM

That is pretty slick, it's like having a real window instead of a screen. I especially like the beach and the surf dude.
Put his rear in Dinos and I'll bite. wink laugh

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/01/09 09:47 AM

Looks like it would be distracting.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/01/09 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Looks like it would be distracting.

Anything but a blank solid color background distracts me! smile

Posted by: polymerase

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/01/09 10:32 AM

Me too. I go for solid dark blue like a desk blotter. Otherwise I can't find stuff on my desktop.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/01/09 12:03 PM

You can do the same thing for free with any movie file you want... a quick search at MacUpdate or Google will show you the way.

That being said, I've tried it - found it to be a resource hog, and quickly disabled it. Keep in mind that I'm working on large image files and often have the entire Adobe Creative Suite open all the time, so the average Web surfer, emailer and offic app user probably won't have an issue with speed hit.

Very nice app, and a great idea though.

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/02/09 02:10 PM

I checked the ram and cpu usage and then turned it off and saw a change in ram usage. I tried it several more times and saw no change from what I was using before I installed it. Of course I have 8 gigs installed so maybe that's why it doesn't affect me. Oh well I like it as it's very restful. If it's a ram hog for others then they should either remove it or get more ram. Of course if it doesn't improve your user experience by all means feel free to discard it. I just thought some folks might like it.

I like em all! - 05/02/09 02:14 PM

I think I'm addicted to this. I like the motion and the sound of the surf, rain, and wind on the different ones. It just makes me mellow. I turn it off and it's just too quiet.

Re: I like em all! - 05/02/09 02:16 PM

The kind of work I do, there's no way I could have the desktops in the background. Besides, I'd probably enjoy them too much and never get anything done. But, I agree, they are amazing. smile

Posted by: FSM

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/02/09 06:26 PM

i was more asking than telling, fwiw.

i have 4 GB of RAM on my Macbook, but my browser is open most of the time and there is zero desktop even showing so it's not worth it to me. i might check this out for my Mac Pro on my second display where i have email and iTunes and much desktop showing. i'll have to film some Kansas wheat fields blowing in the wind next time i am visiting my mom as i think that would be a nice little window to home.

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/02/09 07:16 PM

RAM is too cheap these daze. I'm up to a measly 6GB. My MacPro deserves so much more. So do all my CS apps.

Oh. My. I have a BDay on LeHorizon.

Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/24/09 09:20 PM

I've been using LotsaWater for the last few days. Very simple and cool.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: A most excellent screensaver and more! - 05/25/09 08:06 AM

I gave this screensaver a try... not bad at all. I'm quite pleased with how far they've come over the last few years with regards to memory management. I still don't care for a moving desktop, but at least this screensaver doesn't bleed your CPU dry while running.